PDA

View Full Version : EG Civic wont start

sikcivo
12-11-2011, 01:02 PM
Hey guys,

I went to drive my 1994 Honda Civic yesterday. Never had a problem ever before, battery is only couple of months old. Car cranks but will not start.

Engine is original carburetor engine, with mechanical fuel pump. I can smell fuel pumping so I pulled out one of the spark plugs and car is not getting any spark.

Anyone have any ideas. I am thinking after reading a few posts it maybe the coil/igniter, the map sensor? or worst case the ECM.

How do I test to eliminate which maybe the culprit?

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers

jeremydawg
12-11-2011, 01:54 PM
you can smell the fuel?? how did you find out your car isnt getting any spark?
could be vacuum lines, check ecu fuse.

to test your distributor, take out one of your spark plugs (still connected) place it against metal ground. turn ignition to see if it sparks.
a multi-meter would come in handy if you have one too.

Usually if your plug, wire and rotor are faulty the failure is intermittent, not a straight shut off. So if there is no spark, the problem is most probably your distributors ignition coil.

you can test your coil using an ohm meter. its fairly simple, however if you dont feel confident you can take your distributor to an auto electrics place and they can test it for you

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii320/RonJ_HCF/picture_3395.jpg
welcome abourd

na-118
12-11-2011, 02:13 PM
start ya bastard!

sikcivo
12-11-2011, 02:17 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. Yes I tested the spark with the method you mentioned above. vacumn lines look ok. Car was running fine previous day, I went to drive it yesterday but wouldn't start.
Where is the ECU fuse, My engine bay fuse box is missing the sticker which says what fuse is for what. I will go outside now and test resistance in the coil. Thankyou kindly for the your help and the diagram.
Will keep you posted.

jeremydawg
12-11-2011, 02:37 PM
theres not many fuses there so just check all of them :)

sikcivo
12-11-2011, 03:24 PM
Fuses look good. My distributer looks like this. With the multi meter I have (Dick Smith special). Between A and B terminals I am getting a reading of 1.8 on the 200k ,20k and 2k settings.

Between A and the secondary winding I am getting a reading of 18.4 on settings 200k and 20k.

Both are getting no readings on any other settings.

Khuong
12-11-2011, 08:10 PM
Flat tyre.... Nah check ur fuel relay?

Alexplicit
12-11-2011, 09:37 PM
not a very good reader? ^^^^

he said in OP he can smell fuel pumping.

richard_k
12-11-2011, 10:06 PM
start ya bastard!

Oathhhh

hmetro24
12-11-2011, 11:17 PM
I can see a wire that goes some where, DO you immobilizer or alarm system ? Check that green wire that goes to the dizzy

sikcivo
13-11-2011, 02:34 PM
I can see a wire that goes some where, DO you immobilizer or alarm system ? Check that green wire that goes to the dizzy

I think that wire goes to the aftermarket small tacho installed by the previous owner. I think the car is a Breeze model (so it is the base model civic).

EgFanatic
13-11-2011, 06:20 PM
most likely ignitor has shat it self.. same thing happend to me a while ago, go wreckers and spot another ignitor, there not that hard to find. hope it helps

sikcivo
13-11-2011, 09:55 PM
most likely ignitor has shat it self.. same thing happend to me a while ago, go wreckers and spot another ignitor, there not that hard to find. hope it helps

Might try get a new igniter , will keep you posted.

Cheers

sikcivo
17-11-2011, 09:17 PM
Thanks guys for your help. It was the igniter that had burnt out so i replaced that and the coil as I was told the coil would go soon after (how true that is I will never know). I end up buying new non genuine parts.

Cheers

Bludger
18-11-2011, 04:59 AM
non genuine lasts about 2 years from my experiences.

you may have different....