PDA

View Full Version : Second Resonator Delete

aaronrein
13-11-2011, 06:40 PM
Hi all,

I'm just wandering if anyone has removed there second resonator on a custom exhaust with or without the rear stock muffler intact?

Second question, is it legal under victorian laws?

and 3rd are there any benefits?
(none that i can really factor in)

i had a read of this thread and found it was the closest thing to help...

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?94903-Test-pipe-do-they-really-do-you-any-good

Thanks Aaron

tiksie
13-11-2011, 07:53 PM
1 - Yes.
2 - My guess would be NO.
3 - NONE that you will notice.

aaronrein
13-11-2011, 07:56 PM
How was the sound of the car?
Reasonably louder with the same tone?

haha ok does anyone know for fact whether it is or isnt legal?

i cant see a problem as long as its under 94db as it doesnt emit any pollutions?

tiksie
13-11-2011, 07:58 PM
Resonator is there to muffle the sound so it would make it louder after it is removed.

In regards to legalities behind emissions and what not; You can be done even with an OEM cat converter if it isn't up to scratch (old and collapsed) so removing a resonator is the last of your worries.

But why would you do it if it doesn't make any difference ?

aaronrein
13-11-2011, 08:04 PM
after a richer louder sound in vtec..
ive changed from a magnatec muffler to a type r cause it droned to much however i find this one to quiet for my liking.
was just queerying into it if anyone had done it...
Want some opinions on whether its worth doing for what im trying to achieve

tiksie
13-11-2011, 08:05 PM
If you want a richer louder sound in VTEC, than get a short ram intake.

aaronrein
13-11-2011, 08:06 PM
On P's want to stay away from engine/intake work for the moment. just doing the manifold back and suspension braking for now

tiksie
13-11-2011, 08:15 PM
The B18C2 cross-over isn't that great.

Removing your resonator wouldn't give it a noticeable difference with the vtec cross-over.

Best bet would be the intake, if you don't want to change that then wait until you are on your fulls.. But either way it's a defect.

aaronrein
13-11-2011, 08:21 PM
i wouldnt say it "isnt that great",
my old car muffler was very noticeable
even my mate whos just got a kn filter with the lid off is quite noticeable.

i might just get it left out anyway when i run the custom exhaust. i have a spare brand new 18" magnaflow resonator sitting here anyway if worst comes worst and im not happy...

aaronrein
13-11-2011, 08:23 PM
thanks for ur feedbak n help btw.

trism
16-11-2011, 05:50 PM
resonator doesnt muffle the sound. thats the job of the muffler. Thats why its called that.

A resonator does what its name indicates, it resonates at a certain frequency depending on diameter, length, pipe thickness, and absorbs certain frequencies that make the exhaust drone at highway driving revs.

you dont want to get rid of it.

p3akin
16-11-2011, 06:32 PM
no point getting rid of the resonator, no power gain. but it makes the car soound abit more raspier

aaronrein
17-11-2011, 12:54 AM
probs not what im after then.
dont like raspy...
might have to look into the risks of an intake to achieve it then haha
thanks for the help

EKVTIR-T
17-11-2011, 12:57 AM
As theyve said its job is to cut down the buzzy raspyness and removing it will make the rear muffler sound like ass