PDA

View Full Version : DIY painting thread

manonastick
14-11-2011, 01:04 AM
I dunno where to place this as this can be applied to any car but who here attempted DIY painting and got a good paint match and results with their attempt? I did this to my ek a week and half ago and got paint mixed up at autobarn but doesn't feel like my can of spray got matched perfectly. Used almost a whole can to paint the front lip. From far away it looks good but close up you can actually see the 2 shades of paint. I'm just guessing that my cars original color faded away through it 10years of living from the sun and wear. Im actually quite proud of my first painting attempt. I'm going to give the skirts and side door molds a go in the next few days.
Here a picture on the day i did it.
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy112/Magikmonkeyman/llll.jpg
Looks great far away but when you go closer. . .
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy112/Magikmonkeyman/IMG_1277.jpg
Unfortunately this rep lip that was on the car when i first got it. It cracked when i was putting it back on =/ I'm going to try putty the crack and sand the whole thing down again and give a few more coats too see if i can cover that up. You can also clearly see the 2 tones of yellow.
So i'm just wondering who else did this to their cars and got a good result from it and doesn't mind sharing pics?
Also maybe if the paint wasn't match well is their anywhere i can go in sydney area to get my paint code matched up in a can as well?
Cheers

jdm_b16a
14-11-2011, 11:03 AM
Of all the colours in the paint spectrum yellow is the hardest to match up and paint. Even with the same can you can get different shades depending on whether you paint morning or afternoon, or on different days, or even if you paint the part whilst it is lying horizontal or on the car (in other words with the spray gun pointing downwards or pointing level).

Fix the crack with fiberglass at the back, fill the front, sand, undercoat and paint. Leave it at that.

Peter

Blacky Ej8
14-11-2011, 11:17 AM
When i got my Vogue Silver premixed Can in autobahn, they did a good job cant see any difference. I used it to paint a dent that i filled on the body. =)

manonastick
14-11-2011, 10:14 PM
Of all the colours in the paint spectrum yellow is the hardest to match up and paint. Even with the same can you can get different shades depending on whether you paint morning or afternoon, or on different days, or even if you paint the part whilst it is lying horizontal or on the car (in other words with the spray gun pointing downwards or pointing level).

Fix the crack with fiberglass at the back, fill the front, sand, undercoat and paint. Leave it at that.

Peter

Wow. . . didn't know yellow was so hard to deal with =/ Guess it just luck for DIYers for yellow then well the difference is not noticeable anyways and usually no one would care. A bit of paint miss matching is fine with me as it looks fine from 1metre away =D.