PDA

View Full Version : Where does the Euro stand in Honda's lineup?

I CU2
14-11-2011, 04:20 PM
I'm a bit confuzzled, I've always seen the Euro as the superior in comparison to the normal Accord but I've just realised that the fat Accord is a tiny bit more expensive than the Euro :l

The Honda Inspire is also designated a level below the Legend in Japan (meaning that the Euro would consequently also be less luxurious?), so does anyone know where the Accord Euro stands?

Bludger
14-11-2011, 04:25 PM
Honda tries to provide for the market.

buy what's right for you and the best you can afford. who cares if one is better than the other.

No matter how good a car you buy, always something better.

tonysalib
14-11-2011, 07:04 PM
Honda in Australia offers a different range than Honda in the US or Japan

In Australia I would personally rank them as follows (from highest to lowest):

Legend
Accord V6 Luxury
Accord Euro Luxury Navigation

And then the following pairs are basically the equivalent of each other, one is a sporty sedan and the other is more of a family sedan (respectively):

Accord Euro Luxury - Accord VTi Luxury
Accord Euro - Accord VTi

For example for the Luxury models, with the normal Accord you would get Sat Nav while on the Euro you get slightly more power and torque instead, etc.

Here are comparisons between the above 2 pairs:

Accord Euro Luxury - Accord VTi Luxury
http://www.redbook.com.au/new-cars/compare.aspx?__Qpb=1&__Ns=p_Make_String%7c0%7c%7cp_ClassificationType_S tring%7c0%7c%7cp_Family_String%7c0%7c%7cp_Year_Str ing%7c1%7c%7cp_SequenceNum_Int32%7c0&SearchAction=N&__N=2994%202951%204294956040%204294965870&silo=1301&CT=Compare&__Nne=15&Range=&trecs=20&__sid=133A3AF8FF45

Accord Euro - Accord VTi
http://www.redbook.com.au/new-cars/compare.aspx?__Qpb=1&__Ns=p_Make_String%7c0%7c%7cp_ClassificationType_S tring%7c0%7c%7cp_Family_String%7c0%7c%7cp_Year_Str ing%7c1%7c%7cp_SequenceNum_Int32%7c0&SearchAction=N&__N=2994%202951%204294956040%204294965870&silo=1301&CT=Compare&__Nne=15&Range=&trecs=20&__sid=133A3AF8FF45

praja6
14-11-2011, 07:15 PM
Tony, you are comparing the honda range from US to australia. The equalavent model to our Accord Euro Cu2 is the accura TSX (rebadge of accord euro)in USA, which is a luxuary range.

tonysalib
14-11-2011, 07:21 PM
Tony, you are comparing the honda range from US to australia. The equalavent model to our Accord Euro Cu2 is the accura TSX (rebadge of accord euro)in USA, which is a luxuary range.

No I'm definitely looking at the Aussie range :) I'm not too familiar with the US Honda range.

Fredoops
14-11-2011, 07:24 PM
No he wasn't.

He was right in a way.

Jazz - City - Civic - Accord Euro - Accord - Legeond

There is an overlap between Euro and the 4cyl large accord

In the USA (and to a lesser extent Europe), the TSX is pitched as an entry level executive... But the USDM and EUDM accords were specced higher
But. Acura is dropping the TSX. Because its taking away Acura TL sales.

jono_l
14-11-2011, 08:07 PM
It's simple really - Honda Australia report the Euro as a "Medium" car for VFACTS, whereas the Thai/US Accord (both 4cyl and V6) is reported as a "Large" car for VFACTS purposes.

This pitches the Euro against other medium cars under $60k - i.e. Mazda 6, Liberty, Kizashi, 4cyl Camry, i45 (Sonata) and the US Accord against other large cars under $70k - i.e. Aurion (V6 Camry), Maxima, Falcon, Commodore, and the like.

Legend is also reported in "Large", but since base RRP for Legend is above $70k, this puts it up against other large cars over $70k, i.e. E-class, 5 series, A6, etc.

And as for the relative positioning of Euro to US Accord without taking into consideration their size? Just look at the RRP! Hence, officially, the US Accord has a higher product positioning than the Euro.

The confusion that we have is because there is the Acura TSX in the States, which Honda America pitches as a luxury brand. Whilst I cannot comment on the situation with the CU2 era cars, the CL9 era TSX had a more upmarket interior/dash compared to JDM/EUDM/AUDM Accord (Euro), similar to the JDM Honda Inspire (which was also pitched as a more upmarket car as compared to JDM Accord). The US Accord of that era (CM5), whilst sharing the exterior styling of the Inspire, used largely the same interior that we have on our Euros as well as our Accords as well, hence why Honda America was able to pitch the TSX as a more upmarket car (badging aside!)

Fredoops
14-11-2011, 08:15 PM
Base model Acura TSX = euro lux in specs

jzx_andy
14-11-2011, 08:16 PM
Legend - balling outta control
accord v6 - balling vip style
accord euro - balling on a budget
civic - not balling; whitegood
city - not balling; smaller whitegood
jazz - not balling; smallest(?) whitegood

Fredoops
14-11-2011, 08:34 PM
Legend - balling outta control
accord v6 - balling vip style
accord euro - balling on a budget
civic - not balling; whitegood
city - not balling; smaller whitegood
jazz - not balling; smallest(?) whitegood

Jazz - white good 101
City - awkward white good 101
Civic - aging white good 101
Accord euro - saving grace
Accord - large car no one wants to buy
Legond - failure

MingZai
14-11-2011, 09:00 PM
^ + 1

I CU2
14-11-2011, 09:17 PM
Resale value definitely seems worse for the fat Accord though, in contrast to the Euro.

How does the TSX compare with other entry executives?

antony
14-11-2011, 09:40 PM
Yes,they are priced much the same,but they are very diffirent cars,appealing to diffirent
markets.
Bit in most countries where both models are offered,the Euro is offered as the premium product,eg In USA,Canada,Mexico,Pourto Rico and Guam,the Euro is badged as the very popular Acura TSX.

In Japan,the Euro is the traditional Accord,and in China its called the Spirior,meaning superior.

Other parts of the world get either the one,or the other.

For example,Europe only gets the Euro,as well as Israel,and Turkey in the Middle east,and South Africa/rest of Africa.

Australia and New Zealand get both,where Euro is by far the more popular.

South America, India,and Asia get the US Accord,but Euro is available through paralell importers in some countries,eg Singapore

Rumour is that the next generation will have only 1 model,which woild more than likely be the EURO,as the normal Accord would never sell in Europe,as its too big and not stylish enough.Still built in Japan,with the wagon version as well,but that is still over 2 years away...

There would then be no need for the Acura TSX,as they are basically the same car.

tonysalib
16-11-2011, 08:24 AM
It's simple really - Honda Australia report the Euro as a "Medium" car for VFACTS, whereas the Thai/US Accord (both 4cyl and V6) is reported as a "Large" car for VFACTS purposes.

Sorry but this is not correct. The Thai/US Accord is still classified as a medium sized car in Australia:

http://redbook.com.au/cars/research/new/models?vertical=car&eapi=2&N=3205%203296%204294956040+3039&silo=spec&Ext=GroupResult&sort=default

Plus you don't need redbook to tell you this ... have you been in the back seat of this thing?

jono_l
16-11-2011, 07:55 PM
Sorry but this is not correct. The Thai/US Accord is still classified as a medium sized car in Australia:

http://redbook.com.au/cars/research/new/models?vertical=car&eapi=2&N=3205%203296%204294956040+3039&silo=spec&Ext=GroupResult&sort=default

Plus you don't need redbook to tell you this ... have you been in the back seat of this thing?

Whilst the appropriateness of listing the Accord as a Large car is debatable (the same applies to the Peugeot 508 "Large" car), I gaurantee you that Honda Aus report it in the large segment for VFACTS purposes.

Regardless of what Redbook say, it is officially a "Large" car according to Honda and FCAI.

antony
16-11-2011, 08:21 PM
Correct,the smaller Euro is a MEDIUM sized car,the bigger regular daggy Accord is a LARGE car.