PDA

View Full Version : Do I Really Need to Use Honda Manual Transmission Fluid ??

subie
15-11-2011, 08:31 AM
Hi guys ,

looking at getting manual transmission fluid changed on my EK1 , but can not get genuine Honda fluid unless i wanna make a long trip to Honda dealer

so , looking at the viscosity on genuine honda manual transmission fluid , it's 75W-80 so , i can get Penrite manual transmission oil in the same viscosity plus i'm going to use the friction modifier additive (G70 from Nulon)

what you guys reckon ? any other inputs are welcome

Cheers

stndrd
15-11-2011, 08:40 AM
You will find a lot of people on here say to use Honda Genuine fluids, but they fail to realise that Honda fluids are just Castrol products slightly modified & re-labelled as Honda products. Provided you use the additive, the Penrite product will work just as well as Honda Genuine

subie
15-11-2011, 09:34 AM
Thanks for your input , i'm surprise that Castrol didn't do 75W-80 transmission oil tho.

also , very hard to find the right viscosity transmission oil to suit Honda gearbox , i'm really wanna use Nulon product but Nulon recommended to put SAE80 Smooth Shift Manual gear oil (straight 80) , a bit unsure tho ?

stndrd
15-11-2011, 09:35 AM
No harm in trying out the SAE80. I reckon you will find it will do the same job

IV73CI
15-11-2011, 10:56 AM
have a read through this ..

it has been discussed before ... im sure it can shed some light for you :)

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?156880-B16a-gear-oil.&highlight=gearbox+oil

:thumbsup:

subie
15-11-2011, 12:12 PM
have a read through this ..

it has been discussed before ... im sure it can shed some light for you :)

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?156880-B16a-gear-oil.&highlight=gearbox+oil

:thumbsup:

Thanks for your input , will check Castrol VMX-80

Cheers

IV73CI
15-11-2011, 12:47 PM
Thanks for your input , will check Castrol VMX-80

Cheers

np ..

thought u were going with Honda MTO .. lol...

all good ..watever tickles your fancy :)

dougie_504
16-11-2011, 12:30 AM
I've used both Honda MTF and Castrol VMX80. Both work fine. Do whatever you want mate. I just use the Honda stuff because I buy parts from there regularly and just stock up while I'm at it...

vtecing
16-11-2011, 09:26 AM
You will find a lot of people on here say to use Honda Genuine fluids, but they fail to realise that Honda fluids are just Castrol products slightly modified & re-labelled as Honda products. Provided you use the additive, the Penrite product will work just as well as Honda Genuine

I was under the impression that the engine oil was Mobil 1?

Also OP, if ever in doubt, just go by manufacture recommendations, at least then you know you will be safe.