PDA

View Full Version : k20a into eg

VTI-00H
20-02-2005, 02:25 PM
considering im a complete nob when it comes to this sorta stuff maybe u guys can help...

Just found a jdm k20a for sale for just under $2000 with 48,000 km on the clock and i would like to know the folloing assuming that i have purchased the motor to be put in my lil eg

1)will there be compliance issues along with vin numbers and engine numbers etc when it comes to registering the car after the tranny?

2)as emission laws are different, will certain things have to be done (what ever they are) to the motor in order for it to meet our emission laws?

and anything else blatently obvious that i have missed out that would need to be looked at when doing a conversion with a jdm spec k20a...

thanks for any replys and your efforts in doing so.

BF
20-02-2005, 02:56 PM
[joneblaze:] Damo, PM z10, and try and pry assistance and advice from his tightly clasped JDMyard hands... :)

z3lda
20-02-2005, 02:59 PM
where did u get one for under 2k?? i'll take 4thanks

no need for compliancing becuz its not a car. compliancin is only for car to get registerd.
after u've put the engine in just get it regsistered to the car at vicroad or RTA. u'll need to get a engineer cert. it'll be hard cuz the displacmnet is more then .2L of the orignal motor. major upgrades has to be done to the car to get the engineering cert.

emissons will be fine. if u have the basic cat/ressy/fart cannon.

and the blatently obivous thing u missed out is that its gonna cost u 3arms and 5legs to do the conversion.

wynode
20-02-2005, 08:06 PM
The K20 conversion into an EG isn't as easy as you think ;)

Unlike a B series engine.......you'll need custom mounts, driveshafts and the most complicated thing is the wiring harness and getting your cluster to work!

I'm sure Z will tell you more :)

STOCK
21-02-2005, 09:03 AM
Buy the engine mount kit from www.hasport.com (http://www.hasport.com) and at least the motor will sit in there. You'll also need to buy a k series gearbox, shift linkages shifter, ecu and wiringharness to get the whole thing started. Then youll need to think about driveshafts , brakes powersteering and all the other creature comforts etc...

MrPlow
21-02-2005, 09:15 AM
[joneblaze:] Damo, PM z10, and try and pry assistance and advice from his tightly clasped JDMyard hands... :)

Good-****ing-Luck...

LO_N_SXC
21-02-2005, 11:39 AM
The idea of a K20A into a Civic is good but Hard, I've seen a car on the Autosalon mag a few months back that had this convertion and it worked! with no power steering and no A/C but killing almost everything on the road....

VTI-00H
21-02-2005, 12:22 PM
found the k20 on ebay... at this stage it general enquiries as to whether its a fiesaqble idea...

as for the costs well they will be expected, but this is a cheaper way of gettin a new car...

think will do more research into what is required but with the gear box would that go straight up? ive been trawlin the net like a whore for customers for info but cant see if this will go straight in... im guessin it wont...

is this goin to cost more than its worth to get put in??

MrPlow
21-02-2005, 12:24 PM
yeh just do some heavy research, if your serious about it, im sure you can get it done...

ps: 2 Tribes is coming up... you in! LOL

Kawasaki
21-02-2005, 12:25 PM
you'll need over 10k for this swap IMO... 5-6k for the half cut+parts and labour

I hope your rich :D

MrPlow
21-02-2005, 12:42 PM
better start working the corners then....

civicboy
21-02-2005, 12:58 PM
alot of stuff r needed, hope u got $15 to $20(roughly) thousand.
Like wat LO N SXC said, u need them for your swap

unless you really want it for some reason(drag or circuit) then do it :)

for $2000, is that a Jap Spec K20A? or is it a Aust. K20A?
for that much u probably just get the motor itself :thumbdwn:

MRJDM
21-02-2005, 06:31 PM
im not too sure but i think hybrid racing is selling a k20 EG conversion kit for US3000. comes with everything ull need for the swap. driveshafts, header, harness, fuel rail etc

VTI-00H
22-02-2005, 08:01 AM
nah it was jap spec...

cant give u exact details of what was with the motor (cant use ebay at work) but it was basically a half cut minus the shell of the car... wiring loom, gear box, linkages, fuel rail etc etc...

but then there would have been the cost of transporting it here...

if only i had the money it would have been a great buy...

yeah i wouldn't be spending any less than 15k coz then it would just be a waste of my money coz things would just go horibly wrong.
alot of stuff r needed, hope u got $15 to $20(roughly) thousand.
Like wat LO N SXC said, u need them for your swap

unless you really want it for some reason(drag or circuit) then do it :)

for $2000, is that a Jap Spec K20A? or is it a Aust. K20A?
for that much u probably just get the motor itself :thumbdwn:

EG5
22-02-2005, 09:49 AM
hmm someone is gonna build another k20 EG ...