PDA

View Full Version : Long distant drive in a B18C

DC2-PWR
18-11-2011, 10:36 AM
Hey guys,

I'll be doing a trip down to Sydney from Brisbane in a few weeks and I would like to know if anyone else has done that in a B18C/2 Integra.

My car has a dc2r 4.7fd gearbox and sitting at 110km/h my car sits more than 3.5k rpm. 120 is nearly 4k rpm.

Driving normally my oil temp sits around 100deg max. Only goes higher if I drive abit hard.

Is that Oil temp too high for normal driving?
What would you guys reccomend I should do to prep for a long drive? Oil Cooler perhaps?
I have recently bought a dual core rad, new hoses and coolant. But I dont think thats enough to be safe than sorry.

Just very worried that something might go wrong in an expensive way lol, so its probably a good idea to ask.

I'll be driving at night conditions anyway so it should be nice and cool.

Ideas will be apprciated with a +1 rep.

Bludger
18-11-2011, 10:45 AM
Hey guys,

I'll be doing a trip down to Sydney from Brisbane in a few weeks and I would like to know if anyone else has done that in a B18C/2 Integra.

My car has a dc2r 4.7fd gearbox and sitting at 110km/h my car sits more than 3.5k rpm. 120 is nearly 4k rpm.

Driving normally my oil temp sits around 100deg max. Only goes higher if I drive abit hard.

Is that Oil temp too high for normal driving?
What would you guys reccomend I should do to prep for a long drive? Oil Cooler perhaps?
I have recently bought a dual core rad, new hoses and coolant. But I dont think thats enough to be safe than sorry.

Just very worried that something might go wrong in an expensive way lol, so its probably a good idea to ask.

I'll be driving at night conditions anyway so it should be nice and cool.

Ideas will be apprciated with a +1 rep.I'm From Melb, now in Syd, stock dc2r

done a return trip twice.your biggest problem is if you have recaro seats.

Just use your car as normal. no need extra maintenance.

It's not the RPM you're at that creates heat, it's the fuel being burnt. At highway speeds, it's **** all fuel being used. I get a theoretical 550km per tank.

Also the amount of cold air going into the front......

relax bro.

DC2-PWR
18-11-2011, 10:49 AM
I'm From Melb, now in Syd, stock dc2r

done a return trip twice.your biggest problem is if you have recaro seats.

Just use your car as normal. no need extra maintenance.

It's not the RPM you're at that creates heat, it's the fuel being burnt. At highway speeds, it's **** all fuel being used. I get a theoretical 550km per tank.

Also the amount of cold air going into the front......

relax bro.

Haha thanks man! All I needed to know I guess :)

u mad?
18-11-2011, 11:01 AM
i've done sydney to cairns (30 hour drive). No drammers at all, just uncomfortable in the recaro's/ no sound deadening/ after market exhaust/ coilovers.

10 hour drive is nothing. Just make sure you have a spare wheel and jack/ water.

and yeah like bludger said, i to was getting 550- 600+ kms a tank.

Don't see why it'd overheat sitting at 110km/h. lmao @ oil cooler for your trip.

Bludger
18-11-2011, 11:05 AM
even if you wanted to get there in 7 or 8 hours instead of 10, you would be fine.

DC2-PWR
18-11-2011, 11:19 AM
i've done sydney to cairns (30 hour drive). No drammers at all, just uncomfortable in the recaro's/ no sound deadening/ after market exhaust/ coilovers.

10 hour drive is nothing. Just make sure you have a spare wheel and jack/ water.

and yeah like bludger said, i to was getting 550- 600+ kms a tank.

Don't see why it'd overheat sitting at 110km/h. lmao @ oil cooler for your trip.

Thanks man! Haha I thought my oil temp would rise by heaps and damage stuff.

your fuel consumptions is really good

even if you wanted to get there in 7 or 8 hours instead of 10, you would be fine.

Yeah haha but I'll probably take heaps of stops, aim is 13hrs :p.

One thing I found out is that race tape, will get one to save from rock chips.

Bludger
18-11-2011, 11:23 AM
Thanks man! Haha I thought my oil temp would rise by heaps and damage stuff.

your fuel consumptions is really good

Yeah haha but I'll probably take heaps of stops, aim is 13hrs :p.

One thing I found out is that race tape, will get one to save from rock chips.
Rep'ed for the race tape idea.

Why didn't I think of that????

slingsy
18-11-2011, 01:04 PM
cairns to Brisbane no stopping apart from fuel and food 2 drivers temps were fine, should only ever be unsure if you motor is ancient/ bad condition. vtec motors run like any other road car motor.. until the little roar :p you will be more than fine.

boboz81
18-11-2011, 02:26 PM
I drove from melb to sydney i didnt mind at all in my dc2r but my gf got sick of my exhaust. One thing i brought just incase was a 20L jerry can of petrol

Also definately use that tape, i got so many stone chips big and small from that trip all over my lip and front half of bonnet. Probably cos i was just chillin behind trucks cos i didnt want their headlights in my rear view mirror though

u mad?
18-11-2011, 04:26 PM
cairns to Brisbane no stopping apart from fuel and food 2 drivers temps were fine, should only ever be unsure if you motor is ancient/ bad condition. vtec motors run like any other road car motor.. until the little roar :p you will be more than fine.

i did brisbane to cairns in one go by myself, srs. only stopped for fuel and food.

I'm amazing.

Alexplicit
18-11-2011, 06:33 PM
i drive dubbo to sydney in my DC2R (b18cr) twice a month on average, always get around 650km to a tank, at 162kw :) very proud of my teggy :)

if you feel safe to drive your car around town, you should feel safe to drive it on long trips :) cmon, its a honda :D

DC2-PWR
18-11-2011, 08:03 PM
Thanks heaps guys,

I just dont want to overkill the car, hopefully it reaches to NSW and back to QLD. I'll update on this page how I go, haha.

Definetly getting a Jerry can just incase I don't see a BP or something good lollol.

Bludger
18-11-2011, 08:12 PM
Thanks heaps guys,

I just dont want to overkill the car, hopefully it reaches to NSW and back to QLD. I'll update on this page how I go, haha.

Definetly getting a Jerry can just incase I don't see a BP or something good lollol.
your car can run on 91ron fuel temporarily, no problem at all, no need for fuel can, it's unnecessary weight. If you're out of fuel, just fill $10 or $20 91ron.

Fill up 98 when you can.

Nothing will go wrong man, I've done countless interstate runs in shitboxes.

marquee
18-11-2011, 08:18 PM
If you driving on the main roads you can still get 98ron or atleast 95

Super-DA9
19-11-2011, 01:05 PM
hey moiz, on my trip to sydney and back for all japan day recently I had no issues with temp or anything and I have the same motor and gearbox. it was also scorching hot the whole day.

only thing I can say is 4krpm with innovative/hasport mounts for hours straight is quite intense haha

just make sure your oil and everything is 100% topped up beforehand, I noticed the 4-5k rpm there and back used a bit of oil but that was it bro.

you going for tune?

Super-DA9
19-11-2011, 01:07 PM
and bludger, your avatar... 10/10. *droooool*

mocchi
19-11-2011, 04:59 PM
hahahaha goot info in this thread.
You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

funny how recaros arent really THAT comfortable as some people make it appear to be.
it is really comfortable when you sit on it for 1 minute. not for hours.

markismaximus
19-11-2011, 05:21 PM
100deg c for oil is fine. on a hot day in Brisbane my oil will easily reach 95-100deg with normal driving. and as you mentioned driving at night will help as it will be cooler.

see this link, I know its talking about 911's but shows ideal oil temps. being 180-210 deg F (which is 82-99deg C) and oil life vs. temperature

http://www.elephantracing.com/images/techtopic/oiltemperature/enginelife.jpg

http://www.elephantracing.com/techtopic/oiltemperature.htm

EKVTIR-T
19-11-2011, 05:29 PM
your car can run on 91ron fuel temporarily, no problem at all, no need for fuel can, it's unnecessary weight. If you're out of fuel, just fill $10 or $20 91ron.

Fill up 98 when you can.

Nothing will go wrong man, I've done countless interstate runs in shitboxes.

Or take some octane booster on the trip :)

DC2-PWR
19-11-2011, 05:59 PM
hey moiz, on my trip to sydney and back for all japan day recently I had no issues with temp or anything and I have the same motor and gearbox. it was also scorching hot the whole day.

only thing I can say is 4krpm with innovative/hasport mounts for hours straight is quite intense haha

just make sure your oil and everything is 100% topped up beforehand, I noticed the 4-5k rpm there and back used a bit of oil but that was it bro.

you going for tune?

Thanks man! Haha I figured the mounts bit out, going to be intense haha.

Nah just there to visit some family/friends and jdmyard meet. And to pick up some parts woo! You should come up too man it'll be a nice get together once in ahwile.

Thanks Mark for the wisedom on oil temp

Bludger
19-11-2011, 06:02 PM
all these pimp cars, might come with my stock box...

anzai
19-11-2011, 08:21 PM
did an average of 7.2l/100km from my trip to goulburn for honda nats from melbourne. constant 3.8k ish rpm going at 110kmh

dc2r's have 50ltr tank, so technically i could've done about 700km per tank :S

DCZ 18C
19-11-2011, 10:28 PM
^^^ is it 50L tank..... i thought 45..??

eg5civic
20-11-2011, 01:10 AM
Lol

Ive done Brisbane to Sydney 3-4 times roundtrip and Brisbane to Melbourne round trip and didnt have a problem with my b16b eg. As said above, top up oil an water. Better yet do a minor service, new oil filter and you'll be sweet. I took spare water and oil and that's it. Never even had to worry about it though.

As for fuel, you won't need a jerry. It's only 1000kms, and pretty much every town has 98. I get 500kms from 32L on average lately and that's with vtec and abit of stop start driving. You'll be fine, you stress too much

EG5
20-11-2011, 01:14 AM
Check your coolant , engine oil , bring a jerry can . Bring usual tools too incl spare tyres.

TexNAss
20-11-2011, 10:53 PM
About 6 months ago I did 1000kms down; a day break; and 1000km's back. Return trip was under 10 hours-with a total stop time of just under 10 minutes. Townsville-Roma and back.

My normal fuel range is about 330km(around town); on the open road I was getting 550kms before I was looking for fuel. But every fuel stop- I was adding oil. I know one of my valve stem seals is due to be replaced. It was dropping less than a quarter (as indicated on the dipstick) on every fuel stop.

THUMBS UP to those who said a full service. Don't forget to run the spare up a bit higher PSI than normal- you can let it down on the roadside if you need to- but unless you have a pump you can't add air. ~>:p New windscreen wiper blades. 10bucks and worth every cent on a trip.

Also some 'fresh music' is a life saver!

My bum was numb by 6 hours; 7 hours I was moving my foot around because my heal was getting numb and moving my bum around wishing I had 3" wool seatcovers; 8 hours I was out of coffee; 9 hours I was so glad I run nice spotlights (on a ugly looking front bar) and just hoping that it was skippy-free for the next 100 or so km's.

Tex.

rookiemate
22-11-2011, 12:46 PM
I did a trip from Brisbane to Melbourne straight 22 hour trip with a stock VTI-R (B18C2) and didn't have any issues at all. Just some stone chips on my front bar, so i defs recommend some race tape.