PDA

View Full Version : help! My beloved dc2r was blowing white/bluesmoke?

typerdevil
20-11-2011, 08:33 PM
Hi guys
My dc2r story:
Some pretty bad news, i drove back home from Clayton(Melbourne) last night and the car shutdown for no apparent reason, then i cranked it started again, though i noticed poor accelleration and white smoke coming out of the back of my drove less than 500 metrees and i could see white/blueish smoke covering the whole street, i was like NOOOO! :(, anyways i inspected it, the oil was like choccy milkshake, in my intake plastic piping, like big chunks of it...(like half melted ice cream chunks) got my mate to come to see , he told me he hasn't seen anything like this before, he said try to start it again wouldn't the engine light came on, got it towed back to my house,(most expensive trip ever). Blown head gasket maybe? or crack in block?
If anyone knows what would be the possible outcome? as in possible damage etc :(
i'm just getting a bad feeling about this....

Lukey
20-11-2011, 08:44 PM
from my knowledge, coolant is getting into your oil which isnt good, sounds to me like a head gasket.

typerdevil
20-11-2011, 09:08 PM
nah the coolant is fine, and the cars temperature is at normal, well it was when i could start it up but can't now it's dead.... so it's very very strange how massive amount of water went into my engine.... the acessories come on but not cranking over, last crank over was at 5pm today, i will not risk turning the engine over again, plus it won't let me...

dougie_504
20-11-2011, 11:01 PM
Drain your oil out and have a look. But yeah it does sound a lot like HG blown.

mugen_ctr
20-11-2011, 11:09 PM
signs of engine internal trouble unfortunate. If it was white white smoke that it would be head gasket problem, very unlikey to be cracked block, infact it prbs wont be at all lol

as far as bluish white smoke, all signs point to this, U might have worn piston rings, so get get a comp and leak down test to double check its not the cause. Than move upwards to the cylinder heads, could be worn vavle seals making oil leak into the combustion chamber causing blue/white smoke.

honestly ur best bet is to let a mech check it out, cause it be hard to diagnose internal engine problem online to be exact cause of problem

TexNAss
20-11-2011, 11:14 PM
nah the coolant is fine, and the cars temperature is at normal, well it was when i could start it up but can't now it's dead.... so it's very very strange how massive amount of water went into my engine.... the acessories come on but not cranking over, last crank over was at 5pm today, i will not risk turning the engine over again, plus it won't let me...
Did the white smoke smell sickly sweet like coolant?
99% of the time it's head gasket. the other 1% are stuff like water jackets crackings.

Pull the plugs out of all 4 cylinders and have a peep down the spark plug holes with a torch. See any coolant in there?
Yes- Head off and check/replace the headgasket when you've made sure block and head are square.
No- Can you turn the motor over using a 19mm socket and a ratchet on the end of the crank- WHILE THE PLUGS ARE STILL REMOVED (with the car in neutral)? If you can the motor is not seized and that is a good thing. Spin the engine over at least a few times and check all valves are opening and closing.
If valves and cam gears all look good- You Should be able to spin it using the keys (with the plugs still out) and look for any coolant that shoots out of the plug holes.

How do the plugs look?

CURRENTLY-You'll find it wont turn over because of 2 things
1. Most likely water in the cylinders due to the the head gasket being buggered and letting water in the cylinders; water doesn't compress and if you try and make it compress bent valves and/or a buggered valve train depending on how lucky you are.
2. Motor is seized. Head off and inspect. Then engine out (GAME OVER! Please Insert 2 credits for an engine pull down and rebuild)

**I'M CERTAIN SOME OF THE OTHER LADS WILL BOLT IN HERE TOMORROW**

Good Luck,

Tex.

GSi_PSi
21-11-2011, 07:22 AM
Drain all your oil dude, if water has gone into your engine, best to drain it all out so it doesnt corrode the bottom end.

ECU-MAN
21-11-2011, 08:21 AM
sounds like head gasket issues.

you probably got hydro lock and it couldnt crank over due to coolant filling the chamber when you turn the engine off.

mocchi
21-11-2011, 08:25 AM
Did the white smoke smell sickly sweet like coolant?
99% of the time it's head gasket. the other 1% are stuff like water jackets crackings.

Pull the plugs out of all 4 cylinders and have a peep down the spark plug holes with a torch. See any coolant in there?
Yes- Head off and check/replace the headgasket when you've made sure block and head are square.
No- Can you turn the motor over using a 19mm socket and a ratchet on the end of the crank- WHILE THE PLUGS ARE STILL REMOVED (with the car in neutral)? If you can the motor is not seized and that is a good thing. Spin the engine over at least a few times and check all valves are opening and closing.
If valves and cam gears all look good- You Should be able to spin it using the keys (with the plugs still out) and look for any coolant that shoots out of the plug holes.

How do the plugs look?

CURRENTLY-You'll find it wont turn over because of 2 things
1. Most likely water in the cylinders due to the the head gasket being buggered and letting water in the cylinders; water doesn't compress and if you try and make it compress bent valves and/or a buggered valve train depending on how lucky you are.
2. Motor is seized. Head off and inspect. Then engine out (GAME OVER! Please Insert 2 credits for an engine pull down and rebuild)

**I'M CERTAIN SOME OF THE OTHER LADS WILL BOLT IN HERE TOMORROW**

Good Luck,

Tex.

great advice there, def. open spark plug hole and take a pee pee.

ECU-MAN
21-11-2011, 08:59 AM
remove spark plugs and crank the car over. it more fun

infurNOS
21-11-2011, 07:31 PM
how many kms on the engine?

typerdevil
22-11-2011, 10:28 AM
yeah the engine has done 180,300k's or so and to answer the question about cranking over the engine and the whte smoke was not sickly sweet at all just couldn't bare the smell of it, just an awful burning smell - that day it happened my mate who came to see what happened said, start it, it made a huge clunking sound that shook the whole front end. then i tried again it wouldn't go just the accessories went on nothing else, so might've went a bit excessive on the cranking :( , so yeah still no news about my car yet.

*vtec-screamer
22-11-2011, 10:35 AM
time for you to get a k20a conversion my friend =)

Lukey
22-11-2011, 04:21 PM
signs of engine internal trouble unfortunate. If it was white white smoke that it would be head gasket problem, very unlikey to be cracked block, infact it prbs wont be at all lol

as far as bluish white smoke, all signs point to this, U might have worn piston rings, so get get a comp and leak down test to double check its not the cause. Than move upwards to the cylinder heads, could be worn vavle seals making oil leak into the combustion chamber causing blue/white smoke.

honestly ur best bet is to let a mech check it out, cause it be hard to diagnose internal engine problem online to be exact cause of problem

lolwut

stndrd
23-11-2011, 11:42 AM
If there was a big clunk and now the engine won't turn it sounds like you have siezed the motor. I would pull the plugs out and inspect like others have mentioned, if there is no signs of coolant, it could be that,you have siezed a bearing or something.
If you want to check the condition of the bearings yourself, drain the oil then pull the sump off and take off your conrod caps and inspect the bearings. If your in the s.e suburbs and still need help, pm me and I can come and have a look at it for you friday night if you want

typerdevil
23-11-2011, 05:17 PM
a little update on my car, going to call my mechanic tomorrow to see what is going on with my car and sorry for those who keep giving me instructions to make things a bit clearer, i cannot do what you've said cause my car is no longer in my possession lol

mocchi
23-11-2011, 05:26 PM
a little update on my car, going to call my mechanic tomorrow to see what is going on with my car and sorry for those who keep giving me instructions to make things a bit clearer, i cannot do what you've said cause my car is no longer in my possession lol

thats no good man. hopefully its not that bad.
i wish you luck.

Sean.

Bludger
23-11-2011, 05:29 PM
thats no good man. i wish you luck.
hopefully its not that bad.

Watajk.

TbM
23-11-2011, 05:34 PM
thats no good man. hopefully its not that bad.
i wish you luck.

I dont even...

kane30
23-11-2011, 06:57 PM
blue smoke is normally piston rings but it sounds like head gasket is blown to me because piston rings wouldnt mix oil with coolant, best way to find out is do a compression test if thats all good drain oil and refill then start it up if it will and do a tk test!!
but normally if u take ur oil cap of and there is a mayonaise type substance under it then u no its head gaket

typerdevil
28-11-2011, 05:05 PM
my car updates are: the head has been sent off for analysis and the head gasket is fine, there was no coolant in the oil just heaps of water, so yeah then after the head is sent back to them the work begins on putting my engine back together etc.

This garage i've been going to for years , so they are well known for top work on customers cars such as mine which apparently is a mystery to them LOLL but all mechanics have faced blown engines ,blown head gaskets etc, so it's nothing new to them at all.
:( hrrms after being without a car for a week, thinking of selling it for a measly 12,500k!...but yeah my car should be back on the road soon :) ready for summer, if i still have it.

stndrd
28-11-2011, 08:25 PM
Make sure when they are carrying out the pressure test on the head that they do it at combustion chamber pressures as well as cooling system pressures. I have been caught out a couple of times in the past year or year and a half where, at cooling system pressures, the head passes, but once you test it at combustion chamber pressures, really small cracks appear between the combustion chambers.

ekvtec
29-11-2011, 05:13 PM
12,500k!

12 mill for dc2? Bargain.

Haha but on serious note, hope it all works out in the end, too many people these days leaving the Honda name

typerdevil
29-11-2011, 07:29 PM
yeah true off topic here melbourne needs more meets like the past years but yeah back to my car the price will be 12 and a half grand not 12mil. loll you are probably kidding anyways car back on thursday. done.:D

Indie
29-11-2011, 08:26 PM
yeah true off topic here melbourne needs more meets like the past years but yeah back to my car the price will be 12 and a half grand not 12mil. loll you are probably kidding anyways car back on thursday. done.:DYes, he is kidding, but you wrote 12.5 million, not 12.5 thousand.

dougie_504
29-11-2011, 08:30 PM
I'll take it for $12,500 if you can't fix it. Serious. PM me if you want.

Super-DA9
02-12-2011, 09:23 PM
for everyone saying "blue smoke is piston rings",

blue smoke means oil is entering the combustion chamber, can come from valve seals, valve guides, spark plug seals, or head gasket.

without proper testing (wet compression test or leakdown) you can't just narrow blue smoke down to piston rings.

however i am keen to hear about what the problem turns out to be becasue all the symptoms seem to point to head gasket failure but you say the head gasket is fine. :S

typerdevil
03-12-2011, 01:35 PM
yeah well i thought i would get my car back this Thursday, they have found out the problem it was acracked head, on Wednesday it was getting machined etc, so yeah this will be costly i think....not sure about the cost. it differs alot depends who you take it too i guess.

Lukey
03-12-2011, 02:28 PM
i remember typing in (something similar) that maybe it could be a cracked head, but then i backspaced it all cos i thought it would be wrong. lol

Moey.C
03-12-2011, 03:22 PM
lol he said 12 mil coz u wrote 12,500k (12,500,000)

stndrd
05-12-2011, 12:58 PM
was the head cracked under cooling system pressure or combustion chamber pressure?