PDA

View Full Version : NSW Copping an interstate fine

DakDak
20-11-2011, 09:27 PM
This question just doesnt apply to NSW but all of Australia as a whole.
The question is what happens if I have a WA licence for example and get caught low range speeding 10-20km over in another state say NSW?

I've heard that the demerits wont get carried over cause of too much paperwork and differences in legistation between the two states, but you may have to pay the fine.

I've even heard of people getting completely off over small things, because of an interstate licence.

Whats the go?

SHOGUNOVDDRK
20-11-2011, 09:28 PM
If you're registered vehicle is WA and license WA you're cool.

No points, just fine.

If car is rego'd in NSW but license WA, unsure.

DakDak
20-11-2011, 09:44 PM
Thanks for your quick response ^

Anyone else?

ryaan
21-11-2011, 12:10 AM
when i got jewed for speeding in melbourne driving a vic rental car, i just had to pay the fine, no points taken :)

Bludger
21-11-2011, 12:25 AM
what I know...

If you have a Vic license with 1 point left and as soon as you lose that you lose your license...

You can...

Obtain a NSW license (provided you reside in NSW & have a mailing address) and start with a clean slate.

However, if you want to re-obtain your Vic license once more, you will revert back to your previous 1 point. Even if it's 10 years later...

DakDak
21-11-2011, 09:28 AM
what I know...

If you have a Vic license with 1 point left and as soon as you lose that you lose your license...

You can...

Obtain a NSW license (provided you reside in NSW & have a mailing address) and start with a clean slate.

However, if you want to re-obtain your Vic license once more, you will revert back to your previous 1 point. Even if it's 10 years later...

So if you wantd to re-register in a state the past would come and bite you in the arse wouldnt it?

Thanks for the input everyone.

The situation is my uncle is on a good behaviour bond for 12 months. His done about 2 months but he tells me his too scared to even drive cause if he slips up minorly then bam gone. So his thinking about moving to perth and working there with the family for a couple years and transfering his licence. Then after 3 years move back to NSW but would he start back on the good behaviour bond or would that have expired already?

WATAJK
21-11-2011, 09:03 PM
what I know...

You can...

I thought RTA and VicRoads were linked to stop this from happening?
I thought this was the reason why people went to SA and QLD to do this stunt..

tiksie
22-11-2011, 12:17 PM
RTA and VicRoads ARE linked.

A guy I know got caught speeding in VIC on his way back to Sydney.. Few weeks later got a letter in the mail stating that VicRoads had forwarded all info to RTA and he lost his licens for 6 months. Just got them back recently aswell.