PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting wheel fitment to be legal

ALPS
22-11-2011, 04:07 PM
Hi All

As most of you may be aware i have fitted on my new wheels to my car. Within one day of having them camberd and tucked into the guards, i got given a Minor Defective Vehicle Yellow Sticker for the wheels protruding from the guard and need to get it fixed.

see latest pics here to understand what i mean http://photobucket.com/ALPS2K

For now, i'll be putting my old wheels back on to get it cleared, but i don't want to get rid of my brand new wheels after spending soo much on fitment. So, i wonder if anybody knows of any good ideas to be able to adjust them to fit.

Soo far the ideas im juggling through are:

1. Upper Ball Joints with Adjustable camber to maybe tuck the wheels in some more and less camber. though i don't think it would make much difference.

2. Get a Flare Kit, one that i like is the 4 piece one from A-sport http://www.carid.com/2000-honda-s2000-body-kits/extreme-dimensions-body-kit-299448.html?CAWELAID=1010037417
love how it has the additional piece that goes onto the rear bumper as well. dislike it doesn't go to the skirt. Couldn't find any other good kits. please suggest if you know any.

3. side strakes and the gp sports rear bumper add ons, which i doubt it would hide much.

good or bad comments welcomed lol

dc2r-0636
22-11-2011, 04:30 PM
Did u get a major or minor canary ?

ALPS
22-11-2011, 04:35 PM
Minor.

dc2r-0636
22-11-2011, 04:41 PM
Then you don't need a rwc

So put the stickies back on and get the canary cleared then go home and put ur work emotions back on.
You were unlucky the first time to get dicked, more of a hassle IMO to start putting flare kits or new upper ball joints

ALPS
22-11-2011, 04:44 PM
Then you don't need a rwc

So put the stickies back on and get the canary cleared then go home and put ur work emotions back on.
You were unlucky the first time to get dicked, more of a hassle IMO to start putting flare kits or new upper ball joints

What happens if i get pulled over again? will i get a fine next? will it be major next? will i not be able to drive it? lol i'm just worried and i'd rather do what i can from preventing that from happening, obviously some people will say, then get rid of the wheels and get proper ones to fit. but i like these massive ones and want to do what i can do make it work.

dc2r-0636
22-11-2011, 04:52 PM
Bro relax u will jst get another canary, hopefully a minor unless they find u have 3 or more defectable things then its a major lol, u will get the flare kit then ur offset will look gay with it. Then ur going to wana sell the wheels for something that pokes out more.

My cousin has these wheels on his s15 for the past year with no cop trouble at all. And his rear poke out abit more,

vyets
22-11-2011, 05:37 PM
no point getting more camer for the wheels to sit in if it already clears the guards. They will rape you for camber wear anyway clear the minor slap em back on and repeat, welcome to the world of defects lol

JamieP
22-11-2011, 07:28 PM
Id just put the old wheels back on, get it cleared and then go back to the new ones.

ncmx5
22-11-2011, 08:09 PM
what are your wheel specs??

aozora
22-11-2011, 08:20 PM
If you want the look, you gotta play the defect game really :p I hope you have RDOs to waste at work :)

AusS2000
22-11-2011, 10:23 PM
I think you should take these guys advice. Particularly if you're into men in uniform, as you'll get to meet a few.

ALPS
23-11-2011, 08:28 AM
Ok thing is i can't take anymore sickies off work. I've taken enough for this car already. Got none left. Guess ill just get them back on and see how i go. The upper ball joint would be so i can bring the upper and lower camber in to hopefully tuck the wheels in some more.

AusS2000
23-11-2011, 08:36 AM
Sickies, as the name implies, are for when you are sick, not for when your car is sick. I know I am pointing out the obvious but by my way of thinking it's pretty obvious incriminating yourself on a public bulletin board is a bad idea too.

ALPS
23-11-2011, 09:03 AM
Sickies, as the name implies, are for when you are sick, not for when your car is sick. I know I am pointing out the obvious but by my way of thinking it's pretty obvious incriminating yourself on a public bulletin board is a bad idea too.

oh well that's life, shite happens.

pboi
23-11-2011, 09:08 AM
Oh the joys, go lower and that will increase neg camber. :)
Switching wheels would be the sensible option in your situation.

garett
23-11-2011, 12:07 PM
what are the wheel and tyre specs out of interest?

ALPS
23-11-2011, 12:18 PM
what are the wheel and tyre specs out of interest?

Front 18x9 +43 225/35/18
Rear 18x10 +38 255/35/18

I thought they would stretch a lot more. when these wear i will go down to 215 front and probably 235 for rear

vyets
23-11-2011, 12:30 PM
stretching your tyres will also get you defected, along with more camber. And if you manage to get away with all that they will get you for rim size, your rims are too wide as stock wheels are only 7.5" you can only go wider by 1"

and lol @ 235 on a 10" rim, what's the point of dropping 2 tyre sizes when your rims already clear it's gonna look like shiet and drive even worse.

aozora
23-11-2011, 12:42 PM
Driving on rubber bands is cool these days...

But each to their own...

ALPS
23-11-2011, 12:51 PM
Lol if i stretch more i can put it to less camber

EKVTIR-T
23-11-2011, 01:08 PM
Better be safe than sorry just fit a widebody
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Honda-S2000-Amuse-GT1-Style-wide-body-kit-ap1-ap2-frp-/130486729685

jooboo
23-11-2011, 07:36 PM
Lol if i stretch more i can put it to less camber

Less camber is just going to make your wheels stick out more...

I always thought that aslong as you can't see the top of your tread then your ok or atleast less then 10mm...guess not

Symphorced
23-11-2011, 07:40 PM
Your wheels are already tucking inside your guards.. how is adding more negative camber going to help making your car "legal"? Next time you buy wheels, either buy less aggressive specs or be prepared to get a lot of attention from the cops.

SuperJDM.
23-11-2011, 07:43 PM
What happens if i get pulled over again? will i get a fine next? will it be major next? will i not be able to drive it? lol i'm just worried and i'd rather do what i can from preventing that from happening, obviously some people will say, then get rid of the wheels and get proper ones to fit. but i like these massive ones and want to do what i can do make it work.

didnt read many responses from the boys but this is what i think you should do.

It is hard to say what will happen if you get pulled over again because it all depends on the cop.
For example iv heard some people get dicked for more things i got dicked for but they only got a minor where as i got a major.

Will you get a fine next time: Im not sure if its possible to get a fine for driving a car with rims sticking out of the guards.
Will it be a major next: Like it said it all depends on the cop, and also i dont know if its possible to get a major if its just the rims that the coppers are having ago @ you for.
will i not be able to drive it: yes you will be able to drive it.

Since its a minor why dont you just put stock rims back on, go to a mech and clear defect?

ALPS
23-11-2011, 07:50 PM
Your wheels are already tucking inside your guards.. how is adding more negative camber going to help making your car "legal"? Next time you buy wheels, either buy less aggressive specs or be prepared to get a lot of attention from the cops.

I don't get why no one here understands what getting an upper ball joint will do. if i have the upper ball joint i can bring the lower camber in and the top ball joint will let me bring the top in some more so really. i'll be bringing the wheel back in some. understand?

ALPS
23-11-2011, 07:51 PM
didnt read many responses from the boys but this is what i think you should do.

It is hard to say what will happen if you get pulled over again because it all depends on the cop.
For example iv heard some people get dicked for more things i got dicked for but they only got a minor where as i got a major.

Will you get a fine next time: Im not sure if its possible to get a fine for driving a car with rims sticking out of the guards.
Will it be a major next: Like it said it all depends on the cop, and also i dont know if its possible to get a major if its just the rims that the coppers are having ago @ you for.
will i not be able to drive it: yes you will be able to drive it.

Since its a minor why dont you just put stock rims back on, go to a mech and clear defect?

Yerh, that's what I'm doing tomorrow morning. going mechs. putting my old ones back on n going to vicroads to get it cleared. then I'm going to wait till i can afford some upper ball joints to adjust it some more and tuck it in a bit neater with less camber.

SuperJDM.
23-11-2011, 07:56 PM
honestly, there is no point on wasting anymore of your money.

no matter what if cops see how thick those rims are on your S2K and even though they dont stick out they will still get you.

they could also get you for height. IMO leave it the way it is because its sexy

AusS2000
24-11-2011, 09:33 AM
Super, are you one of those people who says 'The cops are always unfairly picking on P platers'?

Seriously, you point out that no matter what ALPS does if he sticks with those wheels he's gunna get hassled by the police, and then suggest he leaves it that way?

I've been a P plater. I've had unwanted attention from the Police. And the last thing I would advise is any mod or stance that attracts more of it.

Bludger
24-11-2011, 09:37 AM
Super, are you one of those people who says 'The cops are always unfairly picking on P platers'?

Seriously, you point out that no matter what ALPS does if he sticks with those wheels he's gunna get hassled by the police, and then suggest he leaves it that way?

I've been a P plater. I've had unwanted attention from the Police. And the last thing I would advise is any mod or stance that attracts more of it.
superJDM y0~

vyets
24-11-2011, 11:46 AM

His saying don't waste your money on trying to make these wheels legal because they are not. However if he wishes to keep running them then just run it as it is and learn to cop the defects when they come.

Yes cops do target P platers abit more.

I don't get why no one here understands what getting an upper ball joint will do. if i have the upper ball joint i can bring the lower camber in and the top ball joint will let me bring the top in some more so really. i'll be bringing the wheel back in some. understand?

In Theory yea it does make sense, but will it be worth it? no not really because either way it's still illegal.

If a cop wants to pick on you he will, and those rims are already illegal let me point out what's so illegal about them.

Wheels are too wide, your running a 10" you can only increase your wheel width by 1" meaning a 8.5 max.
Your tyres are undersized, a 255 is not big enough for a 10" rim, which makes it a major defect.
Your wheels poke out of the guard.
Your running too much camber.
And in afew months when you drive the car and get some camber wear on the tyres you will get done for camber wear which instantly makes it a Major as well.

Why major defect? ANYTHING to do with tyres means a major defect, even if you have brand new tyres but they rub the guard a tiny bit and get shredded.

And just when you think your in the clear and they can't pick on anything else, they will target your height, and other small misc shit like loose battery and other stuff.

Do all cops know all the rules? No
Do all cops pick on P platers? No

It all comes down to your luck mate, if you're scared then sell off the rims.

The next time you get pulled over, just pray that it's a good cop and they will give you a minor again. A minor defect is the best thing you can get cost nothing no hassle just straight to vicroads to clear it.

SuperJDM.
24-11-2011, 11:55 AM

"Super, are you one of those people who says 'The cops are always unfairly picking on P platers'?"

ummm.... no? but now that you mentioned it i belive they do so.

what i am trying to say is that no matter what he does to the rims @ the end of the day hes still gonna get dicked.

"Seriously, you point out that no matter what ALPS does if he sticks with those wheels he's gunna get hassled by the police"

yes i did point that out and that is exactly why i said dont bother wasting anymore money on trying to make them fit right

"I've been a P plater. I've had unwanted attention from the Police. And the last thing I would advise is any mod or stance that attracts more of it."

and that is why i am telling him to leave it as it is because he wants to dial in more camber so that the wheel will sit in the guards more.

AusS2000
24-11-2011, 01:33 PM
My bad. I guess your advice to save money on trying to make it right is good because he will need all his money for major defects.

markismaximus
24-11-2011, 01:50 PM
[B]

ummm.... no? but now that you mentioned it i belive they do so.

I think cops pick on P platers because 95% of the P platers I see drive like dicks

AusS2000
24-11-2011, 01:59 PM
^ what he said.

SuperJDM.
24-11-2011, 02:17 PM
I think cops pick on P platers because 95% of the P platers I see drive like dicks

not gonna deny that they dont :)

ALPS
24-11-2011, 05:04 PM
OH MY GOD. i do not want to dial in more camber. Why does no one understand? I give up on repeating a million times. I hope a suspension expert comes in and understands what Im saying.

ALPS
24-11-2011, 05:09 PM
Say the lower arm wash pushed out to get the wheel more negative camber. And the top arm stayed in its place. That's what mine is at the moment.

Now imagine the upper ball joint being camber adjustable as well as the lower arm. I would be able to camber the top ball joint inwards as well as the lower arm camber adjustment to bring the wheel in and have the camber at a reasonable amount. Understand anyone ?

SuperJDM.
24-11-2011, 05:10 PM
sorry mate, was only trying to help

ALPS
24-11-2011, 05:17 PM
Not having a go at you. I guess i didn't explain it properly at the start for the unknowledged to understand.

vyets
24-11-2011, 05:40 PM
well since your last post noone said you wanted more camber so I would assume your talking about my post, which i didn't state anything about you running more camber just that -4 is already illegal.

I know what your talking about but maybe noone else knows because your explanation sucks.

For those who don't understand what ALPS is trying to say is..

the stock s2000 camber adjustments is made by an adjustable bolt on the lower LCA. As show in this picture, so to get more negative camber the arm is pushed outslightly.

http://mob135.photobucket.com/albums/q148/nmrado/RearSuspension2B.jpg?t=1276015256

If he buys the Ball joints which connect to the wishbone that will sit on top, both working together ALPS believes it will pull the footprint of the car in. by running negative camber on the balljoint and positive on the stock adjustment

http://www.iapdirect.com/images/D/67220ill-01.jpg

at the end you only gonna get like afew mm of clerance, which dosen't do shitall for the naked eye but if you think it's worth it by all means go ahead
Thing is once this are both in you will also need toe arms so you can bring the toe in to match as well as the camber.

Also make sure you can clear the inside of the rim as well meaning it wont hit the coilover/ any other part on the inside.

then once all that is done... you'll probally get defected again LOL

ALPS
24-11-2011, 06:12 PM
Lol thanks vyets. I didn't have the time to do a detailed description as Im at work. But the wide wheels look like they suit the car and i doubt they would pick on width if it was tucked in neat enough with a decent flare kit. Alot of people mentioned me wanting more camber when i dont. Thanks vyets. When i get to my pc you will get a post quality point

AusS2000
24-11-2011, 09:45 PM
It's ok ALPS, I understand. You are looking to relocate the connection points at the A-arms thereby moving the wheels inboard and hence lessening the need for camber.

What I am interested to know is if there is enough play in your axles to allow this.

And I kinda get the feeling you are swallowing the spider to catch the fly if you take my drift.

ALPS
24-11-2011, 09:55 PM
I checked the play in the axles when i was getting the wheels swapped back. I got the defect cleared today. I do have some play in them. I dunno what to do

EKVTIR-T
24-11-2011, 09:58 PM
Mill the wheel hubs down ?

ALPS
24-11-2011, 10:11 PM
Now that's a good idea!!

EKVTIR-T
24-11-2011, 10:15 PM
Just depends how much meat the wheel hubs have and how much you wanna remove

Go and talk to Nelson at Racing Project in Mitcham he can help you out

barefootbonzai
25-11-2011, 11:47 AM
how about swap for some XD9's with less aggressive fitment? My cuzin has a set on his S2k, can swap if you're keen. They are also white.

ALPS
25-11-2011, 01:35 PM
how about swap for some XD9's with less aggressive fitment? My cuzin has a set on his S2k, can swap if you're keen. They are also white.

naa. i'm not going to put them back on until i order front fenders that are 30 mm wider and get the rear flare kit.