PDA

View Full Version : High Compression b18c2 Rebuild, Starts up but Won't idle. Advice?

91EFFER
22-11-2011, 11:06 PM
I've recently rebuilt my b18c2 engine with 11.9 compression forged pistons.
I've swapped the engine into an Civic ED6 Hatch body, using the EF9 OBD0 wiring harness. I'm running an OBD1 p28 ecu chipped with a basemap for the b18c with higher compression.

The engine starts up and i adjusted the ignition timing by shifting the dizzy and it sounds like it's firing pretty well, but as soon as i let off the accelerator it dies, just won't idle.

I'm thinking it's because the timing is slightly off?
I'm going to match my timing up to my mates b18c integra and then retard it by a tooth at the timing belt, does this sound right?

I also found that after running the engine for about 1 minute, that I have oil leaking out from between the block and head near the passenger side, could this be because the timing was slightly off and so the valves werent allowing enough pressure out? and because of the higher compression it forced its way out between the head and block?

I think I've got an idea of what the problem may be, I wouldn't mind other peoples advice though, always good to get a different perspective on things.

Cheers :thumbsup:

Bludger
22-11-2011, 11:08 PM
how can you be sure the map is right?

stndrd
22-11-2011, 11:15 PM
Did you bridge the connector (I can't think which one right now but there will be a D.I.Y thread on this forum) before you set the distributor timing? If you didn't, the ECU usually will retard the timing after you shift the distributor. Otherwise if your not 100% on setting the timing, take it to your tuner & get them to set it for you on the dyno with a fuel map adjustment.

With the oil leak, I would be very surprised if the higher compression ratio is causing oil to push past the head gasket & start leaking from the head. This will only occur if the head was not torqued correctly (which could possibly link back to your original problem as listed above). Check your oil pressure sensor is fitted correctly, your oil filter is tight & if it's still leaking, it could possibly be from the cam/crank seals being incorrectly fitted (tho I'm just throwing up common problems I have fixed, as I cannot physically see the car)

91EFFER
22-11-2011, 11:25 PM
how can you be sure the map is right?

If it wasnt it should at least be able to idle, right?
then i could get it tuned properly once its running?

Bludger
22-11-2011, 11:28 PM
no, you could force it to run with throttle, but the map might not be right hence you let go of accelerator, it die...

When doing the belt up, just line up the marks. The correct position is harder to slot the belt in.... than 1 tooth off.

91EFFER
22-11-2011, 11:29 PM
I saw a video on that, havent given it a go yet though, I'll try bridging it and then running the engine and adjusting the timing. I'll do some searching on it. Yeah I'll get it tuned right, just wanted to get it up running before i got it fully tuned.

Ok sweet, yeah i guess we mighta screwed something up while putting the engine together . . . gonna have to redo seal i guess, grrrrrrrrr.
I'll keep all these things in my mind and run them by my mate, he's the mechanic.

Cheers for your help mate

91EFFER
22-11-2011, 11:32 PM
no, you could force it to run with throttle, but the map might not be right hence you let go of accelerator, it die...

When doing the belt up, just line up the marks. The correct position is harder to slot the belt in.... than 1 tooth off.

Sweet, hopefully i'll get a chance to do it tomorrow. I'm hoping phearable.net put the right basemap on my ecu, but like you said could be wrong, only way to get it right is proper tuning i guess.

Cheers for the advice

VTec1987
22-11-2011, 11:34 PM
what tb are you using?

91EFFER
22-11-2011, 11:38 PM
the stock b18c one

91EFFER
22-11-2011, 11:40 PM
should i be running an aftermarket one?

Bludger
22-11-2011, 11:42 PM
Sometimes aftermarket TB will cause a small air leak if using wrong gasket.

found out thanks to Tuner.:thumbsup:

so yeah, small leak where TB is might cause idle issues.

91EFFER
23-11-2011, 11:08 PM
Ok so checked the timing today and its all good. Pulled one of the sparkplugs out and it was black at the tip, this means to much fuel right? so i'm thinking the adjustable fuel pressure regulator is set to high?
Didnt get a chance to try adjust this as my mate had to leave and take his dizzy with him, haha.

We started the engine up again and got the same symptoms, i bridged out the connector at the ecu and adjusted the dizzy timing, it was running a bit better, but still wouldnt idle and almost seemed to have a slight misfire and knock . . . . the list of problems just keeps growing, bleh.

Oh well, I'm off to the Gold Coast tomorrow night for a week and then its back to the drawing board when i get back.

I'm gonna try get hold of a dizzy and then try lower the fuel pressure, i have a feeling its dumping to much fuel, this could affect the idle quite a bit right? (it was around 55 - 60psi with the vacuum line off, i know this is too high)

Cheers for the help so far btw