PDA

View Full Version : 1994 Honda Civic EG SI - Window Problem

notJDM
27-11-2011, 05:41 PM
Hey guys,

Today the window was working fine until later on I realized something was wrong with my windows. The passenger side window is half way open and the driver side is all the way down. When I press the window controller to put the windows up or down, the windows will not move at all, basically stuck. I even tried to put the window up by using the window controller on the passenger side and still the same, stuck.

I was wondering what could be the problem here? I mean the windows was working fine earlier through out the day but now it is just stuck. Could it be prob the heat today?

Does anyone know what has caused my windows to stuff up and how can I fix this? I need to fix this problem as soon as possible and hopefully it won't involve money lol, can't go anywhere with my windows stuck wide open.

Khuong
27-11-2011, 07:01 PM
Check ur fuses under the driver side dash, pull the power windows fuse out and check if it's blown (cracked in the middle), replace/buy if blown at repco or supercheap, wateva's closer, very cheap

hmetro24
27-11-2011, 07:01 PM
It could be fuse,
http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/2296/331213.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/23/331213.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

notJDM
27-11-2011, 07:28 PM
Hmmmm... it's really weird that today both windows was working and all the sudden they both stuck open and can't close. I'm hoping it is the fuse.

How do I check if it's the fuse? Where is this fuse located? Is it under the steering wheel? If so, which fuse should I look at? - and another thing is there a way to close the windows just for the time being. Really don't want to leave my windows open lol.

hmetro24
27-11-2011, 07:34 PM
the fuse box is under the steering wheel, check fuse number 14, and check other fuses.

notJDM
27-11-2011, 08:09 PM
the fuse box is under the steering wheel, check fuse number 14, and check other fuses.

Thanks, I guess it's the fuse box just above the pedals right? I will check fuse number 14 tomorrow morning or something since it's pretty late now.

Just curious though, what fuse number would be for both windows? Since I don't know much about these kinda stuff, how would I know if the fuse is blown?

Oh and another thing, what do yall think happend to both of my windows? Do you all rekon it's a fuse problem since my windows was working before during the day? Or do yall think it's a power window motor problem?

hmetro24
27-11-2011, 08:27 PM
Thanks, I guess it's the fuse box just above the pedals right? I will check fuse number 14 tomorrow morning or something since it's pretty late now.

Just curious though, what fuse number would be for both windows? Since I don't know much about these kinda stuff, how would I know if the fuse is blown?

Oh and another thing, what do yall think happend to both of my windows? Do you all rekon it's a fuse problem since my windows was working before during the day? Or do yall think it's a power window motor problem?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-9-QXJh-YFSU/TbrR6Em2nWI/AAAAAAAAAnw/1uWwkOZtgy8/s1600/blown+car+fuse.jpg

This is how fusebox look like http://www.webanswers.com/post-images/3/3B/117EC763-C388-F04D-C4BF13B46FB28B9B.jpg
get a light or whatever, and you should see number under each fuse. If both windows stop working so it is the fuse or power window relay.
Btw when ever you are there check all fuses ;). you can pull it with your hand or use pliers

notJDM
28-11-2011, 12:05 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-9-QXJh-YFSU/TbrR6Em2nWI/AAAAAAAAAnw/1uWwkOZtgy8/s1600/blown+car+fuse.jpg

This is how fusebox look like http://www.webanswers.com/post-images/3/3B/117EC763-C388-F04D-C4BF13B46FB28B9B.jpg
get a light or whatever, and you should see number under each fuse. If both windows stop working so it is the fuse or power window relay.
Btw when ever you are there check all fuses ;). you can pull it with your hand or use pliers

Thanks for taking your time to help me. But do you know the fuses specific number for both windows? So yeah which number is it and what - if it's 14, I don't think I see that fuse number. So what now? I will have another look in the morning though.

I really hope that the problem is only the fuse. Just can't believe that the windows was working perfectly fine during the day but later on he day it completely stopped working. Both windows too.

notJDM
28-11-2011, 12:35 AM
Little update - I have found the fuse diagram in my car. I have found on the fuse diagram there is a couple of window fuses. All the window related fuse says 20A, so does this mean I have to find all the fuses that have the number 20 on it and check if any of them are blown? If correct, I do not know where you got fuse number 14 from? Maybe the reason I couldn't recall finding that fuse number was because its for a different car? :S

IV73CI
28-11-2011, 07:07 AM
yes, just check those 20A grouped fuses, the power window fuses are generally next to each others or its grouped seperately from the rest.

check them one by one and see how u go.

do you have an alarm with power window lifters installed?

notJDM
28-11-2011, 12:07 PM
yes, just check those 20A grouped fuses, the power window fuses are generally next to each others or its grouped seperately from the rest.

check them one by one and see how u go.

do you have an alarm with power window lifters installed?

I've just checked the fuses they seem to be fine. I dunno if I checked the fuse correctly though, I tooked the fuse out and looked in the middle of the fuse there should see a silver thing joined to the other side. But it didn't look like the fuse in the above picture. The fuse connectors was in the middle instead of all the way up the top.

And no I don't have alarm. When I bought the car it had the alarm but only had the alarm box in the engine bay, though I don't have an alarm.

After all the fuse checking and don't see no blown fuse, what could the problem be? I really want windows to be working again hence can't go anywhere with my car with windows stuck open. I was hoping it was a fuse problem. I just don't see how can both windows relay motors stuff up at the same time. Damn I wish I knew what is the problem. Help!

hmetro24
28-11-2011, 02:36 PM
I've just checked the fuses they seem to be fine. I dunno if I checked the fuse correctly though, I tooked the fuse out and looked in the middle of the fuse there should see a silver thing joined to the other side. But it didn't look like the fuse in the above picture. The fuse connectors was in the middle instead of all the way up the top.

And no I don't have alarm. When I bought the car it had the alarm but only had the alarm box in the engine bay, though I don't have an alarm.

After all the fuse checking and don't see no blown fuse, what could the problem be? I really want windows to be working again hence can't go anywhere with my car with windows stuck open. I was hoping it was a fuse problem. I just don't see how can both windows relay motors stuff up at the same time. Damn I wish I knew what is the problem. Help!
Not all fuses look the same, I gave you just an example to know the difference between good fuse and bad fuse.
On the driver door you have the coin pocket thats holds by a screw, take the screw out pull the coin pocket out and check if the plug is loose to the switch.

jeremydawg
28-11-2011, 02:52 PM
As said, seems as though there is a poor connection

take your door trim off and have a look around. firstly take off the power window/coin pocket as mentioned and see if the connector is loose.

notJDM
28-11-2011, 05:08 PM
I've pulled the driver side door apart. I checked for any loose cables and it all seems to be connected. Keep in mind the other side (passenger side) windows is not working too. So if the driver's side connection was loose then the passenger's side would still be working unfortunately both are not working.

I don't really know what is the problem here. For some reason I think the problem is something simple like the fuse (though I have checked that). I don't think it has anything to do with the window's mechanism and motor because both sides of the window stopped working at the same time. I would be more convinced if one side stopped working but both stopped working so I really don't know what the problem is. Anyone?

hmetro24
28-11-2011, 08:05 PM
I've pulled the driver side door apart. I checked for any loose cables and it all seems to be connected. Keep in mind the other side (passenger side) windows is not working too. So if the driver's side connection was loose then the passenger's side would still be working unfortunately both are not working.

I don't really know what is the problem here. For some reason I think the problem is something simple like the fuse (though I have checked that). I don't think it has anything to do with the window's mechanism and motor because both sides of the window stopped working at the same time. I would be more convinced if one side stopped working but both stopped working so I really don't know what the problem is. Anyone?

No that's is not right, if driver side windows switch is not connected or bad, that's mean passenger window will not work. it could be bad wires or ground.

http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu115/RonJ_HT/picture_4763.jpg
http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu115/RonJ_HT/picture_3573.jpg

Best bet is to take the car to electrician,

Khuong
28-11-2011, 08:23 PM
You know how u Put up and down ur windows? There's a switch jst above the controllers, switch it on and see if it works :)

notJDM
29-11-2011, 07:14 PM
Update - I've managed to checked all the fuses properly this time. Since the fuse reference says all the power windows is 20A. I've actually checked all the fuse with 20A. I found one fuse to be blown which was something called like "wipers and power relay".

So I've replaced that fuse and both windows finally operate. As I thought everything was all solved went to try it in the morning and both windows won't operate now. I checked the fuse again and it's blown again. I replaced it with another new fuse and it starts to get blown again. Something is not right here, every new fuse I replace it gets blown. Does anyone know why this is happening and how can I fix this problem?

Thanks.

hmetro24
29-11-2011, 07:20 PM
that fuse is number 14. open circuit broken wire and bad ground will blow fuses. try changing fuse while door is opened and while door is close. it could be broken wire between the door and the chassis. also could be bad ground. Grounds is black wires.
Check the ground under dashboard driver side behind the fuse box. 3 black wires are bolted to the chasis check if it's loose or bad contact.

notJDM
30-11-2011, 02:28 AM
that fuse is number 14. open circuit broken wire and bad ground will blow fuses. try changing fuse while door is opened and while door is close. it could be broken wire between the door and the chassis. also could be bad ground. Grounds is black wires.
Check the ground under dashboard driver side behind the fuse box. 3 black wires are bolted to the chasis check if it's loose or bad contact.

Right! I will have a look in the morning when I wake up though I'm not really good at these kinda stuff and as confusing this all sounds to me I will try my best to understand.

But let me tell you more bout the scenario, maybe it will help abit.

Okay, when I replace the blown fuse with a new one. I turn the ignition once to see if the windows operate, they work. Then I turn the ignition off then turn the car on this is when the windows stop working and fuse blows. It happens like this most the time, but other times once or twice just after I replaced with a new fuse and goto turn the ignition on just once it blows.

So yeah could you explain to me more simpler? What should I do? This is straight confusing and frustrating! But appreciate your help!

notJDM
01-12-2011, 06:25 PM
Right! I will have a look in the morning when I wake up though I'm not really good at these kinda stuff and as confusing this all sounds to me I will try my best to understand.

But let me tell you more bout the scenario, maybe it will help abit.

Okay, when I replace the blown fuse with a new one. I turn the ignition once to see if the windows operate, they work. Then I turn the ignition off then turn the car on this is when the windows stop working and fuse blows. It happens like this most the time, but other times once or twice just after I replaced with a new fuse and goto turn the ignition on just once it blows.

So yeah could you explain to me more simpler? What should I do? This is straight confusing and frustrating! But appreciate your help!

Bump. Anyone?