PDA

View Full Version : problem starting motor.

indo_Mi
28-11-2011, 08:18 AM
Ok so i could have a number of problems,
but i just wanted to get some insight into the possible problems.

i have recently aquired a 94 honda civic GLI, it has been sitting in a family friends garden for 2 yrs. with a fresh battery it started up fine. it rough a little rough, and i parked it out the front of my place. i removed a lead and the battery to avoid theft. but when i went to move to conduct a service, i forgot to reconnect the lead properly, after running the motor for 5 mins i try to move the car to the garage it died and now will not start.

i check the spark plugs and cylinder 3 was covered in oil.
a brief check list i have conducted

-the motor ticks over (so its not the starter), but does not fire.
-all the fuses are intact
- with lead unplugged from start and held near ground point on start up does not seem to be any spark.

so i am wondering if it could be a starter coil or have i damaged the ignition somehow?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

-ade mc-

ECU-MAN
28-11-2011, 08:25 AM
you have either blown the coil or ICM or possibly both

can you hear the main relay click and the fuel pump prime when you turn on the Ignition ?

IV73CI
02-12-2011, 11:00 AM
sounds more like your not getting enough spark to allow the motor to kick over.

x2 .. could be a faulty ignitor/ICM.

or get another spark leads and test with the one that you removed.

might also help if you change the spark plugs and make sure you got the correct point gaps.

inspect/clean your dizzy

do you hear your fuel prime as to ECU-MAN has questioned above?

stndrd
02-12-2011, 11:56 AM
There is no point gaps to check as it is electronic distributor.

How are you checking for spark? Do you have a plug connected to the lead and the tip of the plug near a good ground? You may not always get a strong spark this way tho.

If there has been oil covering your lead(s), the rubber covering the plug will deteriorate and the oil will affect the lead going back to the dizzie, causing a weaker than normal spark to occur.

I would get the rocker cover gasket fixed, put a new set of plugs & leads & re-check as well as carrying out a test on the ignition coil just to confrim