PDA

View Full Version : OEM ek9 suspension any good??

manonastick
28-11-2011, 09:13 PM
I was think of buying a set of ek9 stock suspension for my ek1 and wondering are they worth as the price of them seem pretty low? I heard they are not too rough and good for daily and gives a great improvement over the ek1 suspension or am i better offwith aftermarket shocks + springs?? Cheers i currently have no intension to track it yet but might give it a go in the future.

mugen_ctr
28-11-2011, 11:05 PM
The suspension alone wont make it a type-R handling, but it is most def an upgrade for any ek/ej/em

With stiffer springs and up rated dampers, they should be much more firmer and drop the cars ride height, pretty much what ur looking for.

Though for what they retail, 500 or so, spend a lil more an u could get a decent spring and combo, but really the choice is urs...

IMO, id go for springs and shock combo, atleast that way i can drop the car more :)

aozora
02-12-2011, 06:58 PM
As mugen_ctr said, it'll be an upgrade but for the price - you're better getting an aftermarket setup.

The EK9 shocks/springs would have been specified to complement the swaybars and perhaps even weight distribution of the EK9 chassis (Which will probably be somewhat similar anyway). Not only that, the spring rates would have been specified with Japanese roads in mind... which basically means they might be too stiff for most people's liking, especially on Australian roads.
So if you can find a cheap set that aren't blown (check for oil leaks around where the piston enters the shock/damper body - you may need to lift up or remove the rubber boot covering it) in conjunction with EK9 swaybars, that would be alright. But because the EK9 is aging... most will probably be fairly worn. So an aftermarket setup which can be rebuilt (Koni/Bilstein or even TEINs bought locally...), would be a better long term option and more customisable depending on how stiff you want your spring rates to be.

Mikecivic78
03-12-2011, 07:06 PM
I did a thread on this a year ago. It got some good replies. Check it : http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?142824-Bang-for-Buck-ek9-springs-shocks-on-Em1-Ek4/page9

I considered and in the end I got Eibach pro kit and Koni yellows. Love 'em, no regrets