PDA

View Full Version : dc2r problem !!!

CTR_EK9
29-11-2011, 04:46 PM
hey guys,
I have been having problems with my dc2r. My car runs perfectly for about 15 to 20 mins, after that the car starts to get weaker.
Every time I do a hill start or when my car stops on an angle i've to rev it pretty high so the car will move. the car slightly brake by itself without me stepping on it and my speed drops down pretty quick. I was told by few mates that it could be a bad flywheel, bad transmission oil or the braking is sitting in the wrong place. if any of you guys have this kind of problem please let me know what it is.

thanks for the help :D

CTR_EK9
29-11-2011, 05:36 PM
Help !!!

jdm18c
29-11-2011, 06:50 PM
dose the clutch slip? accelerating but going nowhere? is in its just reving

CTR_EK9
29-11-2011, 07:42 PM
nope, the clutch seem fine, only happen when i drive my car for awhile then it start to get weaker and when i accelerating it just doesn't go as strong as when the engine still cold, changed the radiator already. if i was driving the car and going around 60km - 80km and put the gear in neutral and not touching the brake, the car will just slightly drop down the speed pretty fast and when the car stop it doesn't roll at all.

please let me know what you think.. cheers budd

dougie_504
29-11-2011, 08:37 PM
How long have you had the car and what intake are you running?

1900-hustler
30-11-2011, 08:27 AM
maybe your handbrake is still engaged and your brake pads are sticking?
could be an issue with the pistons not retracting fully when you release the brake

might be way off but just having a wild guess lol

mocchi
30-11-2011, 09:12 AM
did someone change brake pads recently?
did you go to mechanic for a service recently?

need more info brotato

CTR_EK9
30-11-2011, 12:11 PM
How long have you had the car and what intake are you running?

Ive the car about 3months now and im running stock intake with k&n filtet drop in

CTR_EK9
30-11-2011, 12:20 PM
did someone change brake pads recently?
did you go to mechanic for a service recently?

need more info brotato

Yeah pads have been change about 3months now.. ive a feeling could be the pads are to tight on the break.. but it only happen when the car is hot.. i dont understand it.. the car doesnt roll on the angle or on little hill without brakeing or handbrake... but its feel like somthing is holding back.

Cheers

mocchi
30-11-2011, 01:11 PM
Yeah pads have been change about 3months now.. ive a feeling could be the pads are to tight on the break.. but it only happen when the car is hot.. i dont understand it.. the car doesnt roll on the angle or on little hill without brakeing or handbrake... but its feel like somthing is holding back.

Cheers

jack up the rear of your car and make sure handbrake is off.
spin both rear wheel and see if there is any resistance.

better yet, jack up your car on all fours and check all sussy components for abnormality.
this should be the first thing you do after you realise theres something wrong brotato.

CTR_EK9
30-11-2011, 03:43 PM
yeah probably give that a try, but i just don't understand why it only do it when my engine is hot? when i start the car in the morning and go for a drive it doesn't do it but if i was driving for 15 - 20mins then it start do it..

stndrd
30-11-2011, 03:59 PM
when things get hot, they expand. when things get cold, they contract. Sounds like you could have a sticking rear caliper piston. otherwise could possibly be something ignition related (I have had faulty leads/plugs give similar but slightly different symptoms). The car doesn't miss or anything does it?

CTR_EK9
30-11-2011, 03:59 PM
or maybe the pads is sitting in the wrong place.. hmm...

thanks

CTR_EK9
30-11-2011, 04:39 PM
when things get hot, they expand. when things get cold, they contract. Sounds like you could have a sticking rear caliper piston. otherwise could possibly be something ignition related (I have had faulty leads/plugs give similar but slightly different symptoms). The car doesn't miss or anything does it?

hey mate, thanks for the help ey.. that could be one problem that i should take it to the shop and get it check out... i don't know but when the engine hot and every time i change gears the speed slightly drop down pretty quick and it doesn't roll on the little hills..

stndrd
30-11-2011, 04:56 PM
If your in the s.e pm me and I can check it out for you at work if you would like

dc2r-0636
30-11-2011, 05:38 PM
Let the car warm up by idling for 20mins then go for a drive.
This will determine if it's actually 20mins of driving or 20mins of driving in stop start traffic ect, know what I mean?

Could be a sticking brake master cylinder, I know the ford falcons have this issue.

If I were u I'd bleed all 4 brakes first

CTR_EK9
30-11-2011, 05:50 PM
If your in the s.e pm me and I can check it out for you at work if you would like

yeah sweet.. are you working on the weekends? or friday night? woould be really nice of ya helping me out.

CTR_EK9
30-11-2011, 05:55 PM
Let the car warm up by idling for 20mins then go for a drive.
This will determine if it's actually 20mins of driving or 20mins of driving in stop start traffic ect, know what I mean?

Could be a sticking brake master cylinder, I know the ford falcons have this issue.

If I were u I'd bleed all 4 brakes first

yeah couse when i drive the car it seem like the brake is holding on my pads.. and i've to rev up to 3000rmp so the car will slowly move.. normally i don't have to rev that high when the engine still cold..

i'll let you guys know when the problem slove.

thanks heaps guys..

kewliest
30-11-2011, 08:56 PM
Have a look at your brake fluid it would give you a good idea at the condition of the whole system. If there is a lot of gunk in your brake lines then it can clog the return valve in your brake pistons causing them to get stuck on.

Ditto on the bleeding of brakes, although if you had your pads done by a shop they should have checked this as well.

CTR_EK9
02-12-2011, 05:54 PM
hey guys, i bleed all four of my brake today and one of my rear doesn't come out much fluid when i fully step on it, but my other rear come out heaps like pissing... could it be a broken piston?

if i changed that piston would it solve my problem?

thanks guys !

stndrd
02-12-2011, 06:16 PM
did you try to push the piston back into the caliper?

it could be that there is a bit of a blockage in that particular caliper

CTR_EK9
02-12-2011, 08:11 PM
nah i haven't try too and i dont wanna try to touch anything since i dont know much about ITR. would you able to help me out on sunday? ill drop by

:)

thanks alots budd

hondapop
02-12-2011, 08:13 PM
How many clicks does your handbrake lever come up in order to apply the parking brakes. If less than 3-4 then the cable/s could be adjusted to tight or the cable may have siezed in the applied position on that side. Not sure what the DC2R's are like but I'm going to assume they're the same as other Honda's.

There is usually a cover at the back of the centre console (ashtray above) that you pop out with a flat blade screwdriver. This gives access to the adjustment for the cables which are connected together with a balance bar (cables on each side and adjusting rod from lever in the middle with adjusting nut) The bar should be sitting reasonably straight across all 3, if it's at an extreme angle this is usually a sign of something not quite right. Pull your lever on and off a few times to see how the cables move. They should tighten up evenly i.e. apply even pressure to both brakes, if only 1 is moving or moves considerably more than the other, usually means the other is siezed.

Also as far as the caliper piston is concerned (once again provided it's of the same design as other Honda ones) You don't press the piston back in when changing pads. The end of the piston has a cross (+) shaped groove/s in it and is screwed in to clear the pads. When the new pads are placed in position on the disc in their carrier, the piston is then screwed back out so that one of the grooves engages with a peg on the back of the inner pad. (the caliper is normally pivoted up out of the way on its top slide bolt).

It's possible that the piston's been screwed out too far and been forced onto the pad which would cause it to be tight on the disc and because it can't retract, heat buildup is causing it to grip even tighter as you drive. This adjustment of the piston to pad is fairly critical, too loose and you'll get excess pedal travel although it should selfadjust up. This is the reason for the double groove (+) which gives 1/4 turn adjustment.

If it's not those couple of things I've indicated then a siezed piston is the next possibilty. As far as not getting an even flow of fluid out of the bleeders, the most common cause is dirt blocking the passage in the bleeder nipple itself. I always take them out first and poke a bit of 1-1.2mm wire through them and blow them out.

A tip for successful bleeding, 1 person to pump the pedal. 2nd person to open and close the bleeder nipples in time with the srokes of the pedal i.e. open on the push stroke, close BEFORE the release stroke. This way you can be sure no air will be drawn back into the system.