PDA

View Full Version : EK4 Mugen Intake Fitting

Justin Holden
30-11-2011, 06:11 AM
Hi Team

Looking at purchasing one of these for my VTI-R, how ever on reading reviews have heard that if the car is fitted with Air-con they can be a hassel to fit, can any confrim if the air-con is going to be an issue?

Also anyone got a freivew on this product?

mattsrea
30-11-2011, 02:17 PM
I tried fitting it into my brothers automatic dc2 and his aircon didnt get in the way, it was the transmission cable that did lol so we sold it. Anybody rekon the ek4 mugen intake would fit on a d16y8? I saw a build thread of a guy having a d16y8 with a mugen intake, looks good as

kyzz
30-11-2011, 07:48 PM
ask alvis, he has a EJ i'm pretty sure but I assume enginebay layout is similar if d series..

Alvis
30-11-2011, 08:20 PM
Thanks kyzz,

Yeh mate you won't have any problems fitting this with the aircon installed. I fitted the CTR Mugen airbox to my D16Y4 and the only slight issue I had was the box just slightly touching on the engine mount arm, so just filed a bit of it away - I'm talking like 1-2mil because I'm a perfectionist - and fits fine.

Here are the pics from my install:
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?120635-JDM-Mugen-inspired-EK-sedan...-in-progress-pics/page5

In terms of a review, I can say I'm very happy with it and makes a pretty mad induction noise when it starts sucking.

Like all intakes (and small Honda engines) the down low response is a little boggy under 2,500rpm - although you have a VTi-R so you have more power than mine - but you have to remember it was designed for the race track and really performs its best up high.

The other great thing about it is it's street legal in NSW because it's covered by an airbox, which also means you don't have an exposed air intake filter in a hot engine bay, which doesn't do much, if anything at all makes performance worse.

So the benefits are:
* Street legal in NSW with an airbox (which looks the goods)
* Proven Mugen R&D/ track tested
* Reduces intake temp by up to 50% (so I've read)
* Improves airflow
* Awesome sound
* It's Mugen

mattsrea
04-12-2011, 07:13 PM
Thanks kyzz,

Yeh mate you won't have any problems fitting this with the aircon installed. I fitted the CTR Mugen airbox to my D16Y4 and the only slight issue I had was the box just slightly touching on the engine mount arm, so just filed a bit of it away - I'm talking like 1-2mil because I'm a perfectionist - and fits fine.

Here are the pics from my install:
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?120635-JDM-Mugen-inspired-EK-sedan...-in-progress-pics/page5

In terms of a review, I can say I'm very happy with it and makes a pretty mad induction noise when it starts sucking.

Like all intakes (and small Honda engines) the down low response is a little boggy under 2,500rpm - although you have a VTi-R so you have more power than mine - but you have to remember it was designed for the race track and really performs its best up high.

The other great thing about it is it's street legal in NSW because it's covered by an airbox, which also means you don't have an exposed air intake filter in a hot engine bay, which doesn't do much, if anything at all makes performance worse.

So the benefits are:
* Street legal in NSW with an airbox (which looks the goods)
* Proven Mugen R&D/ track tested
* Reduces intake temp by up to 50% (so I've read)
* Improves airflow
* Awesome sound
* It's Mugen

Ohh right, looks goood thanks Alvis! So now i have to decide whether to get Mugen CAI or Injen CAI hmm.

kyzz
04-12-2011, 10:02 PM
both are quality parts, but if you want that warm JDM feeling of having a genuine mugen part that you payed way too much for, then go mugen, other then that Injens are just as good performance wise.

Justin Holden
05-12-2011, 07:47 AM
Thanks Team

I'm going to take the rick and go Mugen

Alvis
05-12-2011, 08:01 AM
You'd be happy with both like kyzz said, good think about Mugen is someone will most likely always be willing to buy it second hand and you should make most of your money back.

This is the site I got mine from, but I did a bit of research into prices before I bought it and they were willing to match prices :)

There may be other sites out there, but leave it with you...

http://www.rhdjapan.com/

Justin Holden
05-12-2011, 08:03 AM
Cheers Team, Im getting one second hand