PDA

View Full Version : Rough Gear Changes

MrPlow
21-02-2005, 01:45 PM
Hey guys, just a small problem....

My gear changes are not as smooth as they use to be... iv got the standard ek4 gearbox, with a fairly new clutch, iv also installed a short shifter...

The short shifter stiffened the throw abit which is cool, but lately it feels really rough, maybe the feeling of metal rubbing metal... sometimes it wont go into gear and i need to pump the clutch abit...

Im thinking maybe a gearbox oil change and some lubrication will help, is it possible to have problems with the linkage? or bushes?

any help would be great!

bennjamin
21-02-2005, 01:48 PM
try the MTF oil change for a start Steve....it can do wonders if ur oil is murky and old :)

MrPlow
21-02-2005, 01:51 PM
I wouldnt know where to start with a gearbox oil change...

its it fair easy, like a engine oil change?

bennjamin
21-02-2005, 01:57 PM
I wouldnt know where to start with a gearbox oil change...

its it fair easy, like a engine oil change?

Very easy Steve....

Brace/jack up drivers side ,
remove drivers side wheel - keep the car at the original level ,
remove VSS ontop of gearbox , remove gearbox fill bolt , put drip tray under gearbox bolt , use 1/2 inch *think* ratchet to undo the bottom bolt slowly - then hand loosen bolt and as old MTF flows catch in tray.

Put bottom drain bolt back in and tighten.

Now , use tube or similar + funnel - to acces the VSS hole - begin to pour the lovely MTF into it - and watch from underneath for it to leak out of the fill hole. Once it does , stop adding MTF and wait for the leak to stop from the fill hole.

Once done , re tighten the fill bolt and reinsert the VSS.....done !

Steer^Gimic
21-02-2005, 02:43 PM
dont yell at me, but i heard from a certain someone that mobil1 or something fully synthetic is a great substitute for gearbox oil. he was built several honda's and uses it in his e36 bmw.
make sense??

wynode
21-02-2005, 03:28 PM
dont yell at me, but i heard from a certain someone that mobil1 or something fully synthetic is a great substitute for gearbox oil. he was built several honda's and uses it in his e36 bmw.
make sense??
Don't use anything else but Honda MTF

egSi
21-02-2005, 03:30 PM
i got hyundai mtf in my car and its all good :thumbsup:

wynode
21-02-2005, 03:35 PM
i got hyundai mtf in my car and its all good :thumbsup:
Don't listen to Trav......just use Honda MTF unless you have synchro problems!

archangelmiccy
22-02-2005, 02:43 AM
i found the easiest way to put new oil in the box is to buy a pump (from peps or sumplace like it) that screws onto the top of the MTF bottle, can be a bit of a work out pumping all that oil but it's not as messy as trying it with a funnel.

Weq
22-02-2005, 04:49 PM
if u got ur clutched changed, u would have new oil in it already. its possible that they put crap in.. honda MTF all the way

Masta_B
22-02-2005, 05:36 PM
Redline lightweight shock proof mate or redline MTL . I use redline oil for everything in my car and swear by it. If u wanna giv ur car what it deserves use redline. Matt

ECU-MAN
22-02-2005, 07:08 PM
is your clutch fluid ok, is the clutch master cylinder leaking or damp. try bleeding your clutch hydro system

Steer^Gimic
22-02-2005, 07:23 PM
Redline lightweight shock proof mate or redline MTL . I use redline oil for everything in my car and swear by it. If u wanna giv ur car what it deserves use redline. Matt

you sound like your promoting it on a tv commercial :p

wynode
22-02-2005, 07:47 PM
Personally I wouldn't use anything but Honda MTF unless there is something wrong with your gearbox / it is modified.

MrPlow
23-02-2005, 09:31 AM
as far as i know my gear box is stock, apart fromt he short shifter...

maybe my clutch fluid does have something wrong?

well ben has kindly aggreed to help me do afew things this sat, so hopefully his DIY hands can ease the problem!

i might start looking into a gearbox upgrade? maybe type r box...or a dog box! :D

bennjamin
23-02-2005, 11:06 AM
well ben has kindly aggreed to help me do afew things this sat, so hopefully his DIY hands can ease the problem!

i might start looking into a gearbox upgrade? maybe type r box...or a dog box! :D

lol...one step at a time Steve ehehhehehhe.

Ill have a quick look-see :)

MrPlow
23-02-2005, 12:51 PM
hahaha, no time for look see benn... im bringing a full front cut with me, and your doing a full conversion for me.... :p

tegstar83
14-04-2005, 09:35 PM
Very easy Steve....

Brace/jack up drivers side ,
remove drivers side wheel - keep the car at the original level ,
remove VSS ontop of gearbox , remove gearbox fill bolt , put drip tray under gearbox bolt , use 1/2 inch *think* ratchet to undo the bottom bolt slowly - then hand loosen bolt and as old MTF flows catch in tray.

Put bottom drain bolt back in and tighten.

Now , use tube or similar + funnel - to acces the VSS hole - begin to pour the lovely MTF into it - and watch from underneath for it to leak out of the fill hole. Once it does , stop adding MTF and wait for the leak to stop from the fill hole.

Once done , re tighten the fill bolt and reinsert the VSS.....done !

What is the VSS ontop of the box? Do u remove this to fill the oil on a dc4/2 can some one post a pic of this?

ECU-MAN
14-04-2005, 11:30 PM
you dont need to remove the VSS ( Vehcle Speed Sensor ) to fill the gearbox up, also its not recommended to do it from there either.
the correct way if to remove the fill hole bolt from the side of the box, RHS near inner CV joint.

wynode
15-04-2005, 11:37 PM
Don't overtighten the VSS bolt or you wil snap the bracket. There is ONLY ONE bolt that holds the VSS to the diff housing.

Pic below - Pipe goes into the VSS hole (VSS on its left). The gearbox fill bolt is the one just to the right of the pipe/tube where you can see some MTF.

http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/data/2/3IMG_5170-med.jpg