PDA

View Full Version : Room Bars - Do they help?

spetz
03-12-2011, 02:05 AM
Hi guys,

Just wondering do those room bars do anything?
They look like they would offer nothing except extra weight.
Any comments?

http://www.ultraracing.com.my/vgreenwap/image/Model/Mitsubishi/Mitsubishi%20EVO7%20room.JPG

midnightdood
03-12-2011, 05:59 AM
Yes they do.
If its fitted with a bit of compression it can work well.
I have fitted a DC2r with an adjustable one.

Rate of chassis response: +VE
Ride quailty over less than perfect roads: -VE
The possibility of the item being a skewer in an off: -VE
And its a possible defect: -VE
Dropping washers between the carpet and chassis during fitment: -VE
Cutting fingers while retrieving washers: -VE
Rear unloading faster with throttle: +VE (possibly -ve for some).
Comfort from retail therapy: +VE

:thumbsup:

vtecing
03-12-2011, 07:50 AM
just bought an adjustable one for our eg track car - $170 delivered from the US, keen to test it out

mocchi
05-12-2011, 01:55 PM
whats is this +ve -ve?
anyone care to explain please?

stndrd
05-12-2011, 01:59 PM
guessing + is good, - is bad, ve is very effictive

Lukey
05-12-2011, 09:24 PM
positive (+ve)

negative (-ve)

spetz
08-12-2011, 06:32 PM
just bought an adjustable one for our eg track car - $170 delivered from the US, keen to test it out

When you try it out can you comment on it please?

vtecing
08-12-2011, 06:41 PM
if i remember, otherwise visit and 'like' facebook.com/theheartofracing and you will be able to see the install and feed back comments

nigs
10-12-2011, 11:25 PM
I think Autobarn Virginia are doing the Ultra Racing ones for 160-170.

Will be trying a few of them next year. I'm a sucker for braces.

midnightdood
11-12-2011, 05:10 AM
What this man says! :thumbsup:

positive (+ve)

negative (-ve)

u mad?
11-12-2011, 06:42 AM
whats is this +ve -ve?
anyone care to explain please?

negative and positve

fatboyz39
11-12-2011, 10:33 AM
Just wanky bars.

Oxer
15-12-2011, 12:59 PM
Waste of money.. Track car = weld in roll cage, Street car = no need.

Remember, cars are supposed to have flex in them. A solid / rigid car on the street is not only uncomfortable, but wears suspension components much faster also.

That bar however, does sweet F A

hondapop
12-01-2012, 09:27 AM
To be quite honest I would like to see some figures that would prove this bars effectiveness physically rather than phsycologically ('cause I think it falls into the latter). Let's look at it logically (lots of ally's, I know). It's ends are bolted to the side chassis rails at the seat belt mountings which are about 75-80mm above the floor pan. The bar itself is welded to brackets that are extended out from those bolts by about 75-80mm (allowing some flex, especially as it's got carpet between it and the chassis).

About 300mm behind it is the vertical panel forming the box section that supports the rear seats (offering more stiffening effect).

Do you really believe that this bar is anything else than a way to make money.

egb16b
13-01-2012, 12:16 AM
This question is gotta get a lot of different responses. Some will like..some won't.

I reckon it comes down to what you use your car for..

Track car - def will be usefull since it'll stiffen up the chassis.

Daily - not needed and will just make your car too uncomfortable.

Go buy it n decide for yourself..

hondapop
13-01-2012, 08:09 AM
Better option would be a waist high brace. But the only real stiffening you're going to get is a diagonal or X brace. This floor variety is going to do as Oxer has put so succinctly, Sweet F A.

stndrd
13-01-2012, 08:23 AM
B-pillar brace and/or miracle x bar will do better than a floor brace as you are reducing flex in the roof

Glocker
13-01-2012, 04:48 PM
Just bought one of these. Gonna put it in and see how it goes. Some said my front 3 point fender braces were useless but I felt a difference with them in. Call it psychological but I reckon if I can tell a difference with them in and with them out it's worth it.

vtecing
13-01-2012, 05:42 PM
I've been doing some researching into this and spoke to a guy that builds roll cages. His opinion is that a floor brace wouldn't do anything but add weight to the car. He said what increases strength and rigidity is triangles, hence why roll cages have diagonal bars. He wasn't too fazed with the idea of c-pillar bars either, unless they connect to the struts, like an x-brace. His view was that, if you have a cage you don't need anything else.

Glocker
13-01-2012, 05:46 PM
I've been doing some researching into this and spoke to a guy that builds roll cages. His opinion is that a floor brace wouldn't do anything but add weight to the car. He said what increases strength and rigidity is triangles, hence why roll cages have diagonal bars. He wasn't too fazed with the idea of c-pillar bars either, unless they connect to the struts, like an x-brace. His view was that, if you have a cage you don't need anything else.

This is true, once you go roll cage you can **** off those braces. But mine's a street car that gets driven most days of the week, and I'm not putting a roll cage in it. These braces are the next best thing short of stripping the whole car and spot welding it.

hondapop
13-01-2012, 06:21 PM
Just bought one of these. Gonna put it in and see how it goes. Some said my front 3 point fender braces were useless but I felt a difference with them in. Call it psychological but I reckon if I can tell a difference with them in and with them out it's worth it.

3 point strut tower (fender) braces are better than 2 point because they prevent side to side movement of the front end as well as longitudinal stiffening and you would certainly have felt and been able to measure improvements in handling and are definitely worth it. The only thing to be aware of is that the vehicle structure where the "point" of the triangle mounts is strong enough and sufficiently braced where it bolts to, to gain the maximum benefit. Excellent choice.

hondapop
13-01-2012, 06:25 PM
He said what increases strength and rigidity is triangles

There's the key

Mikecivic78
13-01-2012, 09:02 PM
IMO roll cage is the best mod for stability in the cabin area.

After rolling my car on it's side, I've been dreaming about roll cages. Not practical for streetcar tho'

For EG/DC/EK, it gives adds heaps of rigidity to an otherwise flexy chassis.

DNYALL
14-01-2012, 02:09 PM
Waste of money.. Track car = weld in roll cage, Street car = no need.

Remember, cars are supposed to have flex in them. A solid / rigid car on the street is not only uncomfortable, but wears suspension components much faster also.

That bar however, does sweet F A

Smart.

I had one in my civic when it was on the street, removed it after a few weeks because i felt like the added weight of it was taking away any potential benefit. Although the one I had was a heavy bastard...

EG5
14-01-2012, 07:44 PM
What I rather do is invest in replacing whole car suspension bushings. If We are talking about EF/EG/EK/DC2 or any cars around these year . Fresh brand new upgraded suspension bushings will produce better rigidity + better handling.

vtecing
14-01-2012, 09:45 PM
What I rather do is invest in replacing whole car suspension bushings. If We are talking about EF/EG/EK/DC2 or any cars around these year . Fresh brand new upgraded suspension bushings will produce better rigidity + better handling.

^^^This

Its about the same price to replace all bushes as a few extra braces

You have to remember the basics. To make a car handle well to go fast, the whole idea is to maintain maximum tyre contact with the road. This is done mostly by maintaining wheel alignment settings during cornering. Bushes are the most important part in maintaining wheel alignment settings. I suspect a lot of people who buy all the aftermarket braces arent aware of a FREE way of gaining grip which is to adjust your tyre pressures! Instead of spending money on go fast bits, spend a bit of time testing your tyre pressures.