PDA

View Full Version : Need help on lowering my EG!!

jes87s
21-02-2005, 05:42 PM
Okay everyone....

I have a 92/93 Civic EG Hatch... At the moment it is standard height with stock hubs/wheels on it. However my 18th is around the corner (month) and mum has offered to kindly lower my car for me!! WAHOO! Soooo... To save her some stuffing round time and to ensure my car is lowered as soon as possible, what kind of springs do I put in them, and what is the best height. I want to go as low as possible, however staying legal. (Note: I am not putting rims on in it until July/Aug and when I do I will most likely stick to 16"s)...

Help would be GREAT!!!!!!!!! :D

egSi
21-02-2005, 05:47 PM
super lows

bumpy1
21-02-2005, 05:51 PM
hey jes87s

i had a 94 eg hatch and i had king springs in them. they were super lows. I dont know the legality of them but you should check with your local road transport authority. But honestly, you cant really tell that its really low and cops won't hassle you. I chopped my springs (naughty me) and made it even lower and got defected for being 10 cm lower than standard, so i do not recommend doing that and the ride was very bumpy (hence my nick) but the car looked damn low. if you want low and stay legal the only option would be to get kings low springs. improves your handling and lowers it slightly. personally id go for the super lows (as i have in my current civic EM1).

thats my opinion... hope it helps!!!!!

ps if your mum loves you HEAPS get height adjustable coilovers!!!!! :)

Nuttz
21-02-2005, 05:52 PM
super lows aint legal!!!

u can get the regular king spring lows... they will be legal, but dont look as nice as the super lows OR u could get some height adjustable suspension. It will cost more but u can dump your ride or raise it up whenever u want.

Biggie
21-02-2005, 06:59 PM
get rims first man :)

jackosimm
21-02-2005, 07:05 PM
i got super low's on my EK and its extremely legal, no where near 10cm, but EG's come out a lot lower, id stay safe and just get some normal springs from them, however, theres a hundred other brands and products lol!

one_nil
21-02-2005, 11:11 PM
get rims first man :)

1. He is a She..
2. I dunno... thats quite a choice, rims or lowering.. im not sure which id go...
with one comes the other i guess..

Biggie
22-02-2005, 01:28 AM
my bad..sry.. i still say rims first tho. :)

flipmods
22-02-2005, 02:20 AM
Basically I think the rule is "at least 100mm off the ground".

Just measure your lowest point on your car and the extra above 100 you can drop it. For example if the lowest point is 160mm then drop it 50, and if dropping it 50 is only just above your rubber then get some super lows.
Personally I prefer a lower car than a car with mags cause I think Big wheels with a raised car looks bad, but a lowered car looks good and more fun to drive around.
Good luck. And I think 16's are just right for a civic:thumbsup:

jords
22-02-2005, 11:00 AM
I used to have superlows on my car before I fitted the body kit, super lows and a body kit make the car almost undrivable. Ive got a pair of superlows for sale if anyone is interested.

EG4
22-02-2005, 02:10 PM
What you need to really find out is how much is your mum willing to pay

as different brands have different costs

as rule of thumb its 100mm or a coke can height to be legal

finally depending if u like to drive wildly u might think abt a full suspension package rather then just changing your springs, as just replacing your springs may ruin your struts, depending on how your drive

SPEEDCORE
22-02-2005, 02:18 PM
Did you get your car from the spray shop already? That was quick!

jes87s
24-02-2005, 01:36 PM
Thanks everyone.....

Okay to answer some questions, mainly the last one, no still waiting on my car... Another week :( It's killing me!!!!

As for the springs, Super Low sound nice!! I am not a rough driver at all, quite sensible actually, and after my court case yesterday I came out with a licence but having to attend them driver offender's course for 7 weeks!!! So I'm a sensible driver (now anyway) with no kit or mags on there yet... I wanted to do a whole suspension job but not right now due to money. Mum doesn't have a preferred budget however if she can stay under $500 she'll be laughing. Soooo yeah........... I mean my car is already low to the ground because as someone said, EG's are naturally low, so do I risk Super Lows??

SPEEDCORE
24-02-2005, 02:00 PM
I mean my car is already low to the ground because as someone said, EG's are naturally low, so do I risk Super Lows??

Apart from the ride height and legality, to put on super lows and do it properly..... you should really be getting different shocks too.

You may find that the shocks you have on the car now will not match the springs and will blow (ie. cease to work the way they are intended) rather soonish.

This will tip way over the $500 if including shocks so mum might not be so happy. ;)

As for ride height legality, I'll leave that to the others on this forum to discuss with you.

You just have to weigh up your options with regard to what aesthetics you like and also what wheel size you are wanting to run afterwards and see what is best for you.

jes87s
24-02-2005, 02:02 PM
Thank you, and yes I understand about the shocks and the boyfriend had been bugging me about that too... Guess I will see what the master (mum) says......... Cheers all.

jes87s
28-02-2005, 11:53 AM
please Someone With An Eg Lowered, What Did You Put In Yours?? Lows Or Super Lows?? And Can You Provide A Pic?? I Am Really Interested On Going Superlows But Don't Wanna Scrub When My 17s Go On........ And Dont Wanna Get In Trouble Lol, Im A Good Girl!!! Help!

EG4
28-02-2005, 12:51 PM
You can alway get adjustable springs i guess, works the same adjustable suspensions with out actually needing to get new sussy's

plus alot cheaper, not a bad option if u don't intend to fly around bends and only use it for cosmetic purposes

http://www.modacar.com/products/Honda/Civic/MODAADS/

to give u an idea, american website, not sure where abts here u can get them tho

jes87s
02-03-2005, 04:36 PM
Might bite the bullet and go super lows lol....... Hmmm.
I havent seen my car in weeks so I cant remember how low it already is.

type one
02-03-2005, 04:41 PM
i can guarantee that super lows will scrub with 17's.

I am with speedcore on the shocks idea. If you are going to get springs now - make sure they can be mated to a set of good shocks later on (ie a Koni or a Tokico)... save u the hassle...

I have my EG coilover setting on the equivalent of a superlow spring, with a 205/50 profile tyre and it scrubs when i corner hard or full lock.

Paul1985
03-03-2005, 06:06 PM
Before doing anything a good idea would be to work out what rims you would like to eventually buy, and find out whether they will suit with your lowering option.. my rims/tyres are too wide and its gonna be a hassle when i lower my ride.. u gotta make sure everything blends together... but hey, you learn from your mistakes :P

you made a good decision researching on here first.. the people here are a great help

check out my ride if you like.. it isnt lowered tho... i cant afford it atm and i cant stand my car at its height :(

but yeah, just something for u to think about

Paul1985
03-03-2005, 06:12 PM
Basically I think the rule is "at least 100mm off the ground".

Just measure your lowest point on your car and the extra above 100 you can drop it. For example if the lowest point is 160mm then drop it 50, and if dropping it 50 is only just above your rubber then get some super lows.
Personally I prefer a lower car than a car with mags cause I think Big wheels with a raised car looks bad, but a lowered car looks good and more fun to drive around.
Good luck. And I think 16's are just right for a civic:thumbsup:

so true... thats my car.. i wish i lowered first.. or saved a little longer and did the two together