PDA

View Full Version : Driving an unregistered car

spetz
07-12-2011, 06:55 AM
Hi guys,

Can someone tell me what needs to be done to drive an unregistered car?
I know in the ACT you can get a permit, but are not allowed to drive it outside of the ACT.
Could I get a NSW and ACT permit to be able to drive across state lines?
And, can I get a permit on a car with no number plates?

To clear things up, I am wondering if I buy a car from Victoria or NSW which has no rego and/or no number plates, am I able to drive it to the ACT?

Bludger
07-12-2011, 07:46 AM
get the temporary permit for the state the car comes from.

carry all papers with you when driving and if you get pulled over, show the officer your case.

A normal human being will be understanding.

IV73CI
07-12-2011, 07:47 AM
Simple answer NO.

They will not provide you a permit to drive a unregistered vehicle interstate.

if the car was purchased within the state you live in, then YES you can drive it to obtain a pink slip/roadworthy and then to the RTA/etc for registration purposes.

they will not allow you to drive the car interstate - you must tow or put the car on a trailer.

otherwise get the seller to register the car for 3months within the registered state - then just transfer it to your local state

if you take the risk, you could be up for $3000+ in fines.

androo
07-12-2011, 09:43 AM
Simple answer NO....... if you take the risk, you could be up for $3000+ in fines.
And loss of licence...

Bludger
07-12-2011, 09:44 AM
where did you get this 3000 figure?

IV73CI
07-12-2011, 11:27 AM
where did you get this 3000 figure?

Ok .. maybe 3k is over exaggerating :P

i got done many years ago b4 they changed the rules regarding the fines and demirit points scheme.

here is the list of the fines i copped.

Driving the vehicle Unregistered $550
Driving the vehicle Uninsured (CTP Greenslipp) $550
Driving the vehicle with unpaid stamp duty $550
Driving the vehicle without a valid registration label $220
Driving the vehicle without a valid number plate $220
Driving the vehicle interstate without a roadworthy $550 (bought car from QLD and drove it to SYD)

so i couldnt afford to pay all of it in one go, so the matter went to SDRO and they added $50 per fines = $300 on top as their admin fees. (which is BS to me.) Due to the fact that the fines came in different timeframes. if they came all at the same time, then i would have only copped $50 for the SDRO fee.

the only thing i didnt loose was my license, coz i didnt technically break any road rules. o.O

bear in mind the car wasnt even modified watsoever - just some random RBT along the pacific hwy and randomly checked the rego of the car ..coz i looked young and i wasnt on my P's. lol ..

but i knw the laws has changed, and fee's either went up or down and possible lose of license too.

i wouldnt take the risk, just get the car on a trailer ftw! $500 trailer fee vs approx $2500 worth of fines ....which to choose? lol

Bludger
07-12-2011, 11:31 AM
you're bending over if you don't have plates on.

IV73CI
07-12-2011, 12:08 PM
you're bending over if you don't have plates on.

i did have plates on, but it wasnt valid to be used on the roads.

each of the above are charged separately as they are charged separately as well when you register your car.

so i pretty much copped a fine for each which wasnt paid as part of registration.

hmp! bs i reckon...

aj2thec
07-12-2011, 03:12 PM
yonk..

DA9-47
07-12-2011, 03:27 PM
not the best idea^^^^

maybe just to get it home or to and from but not as a daily, you'll get done eventually bro

Pluss i think there is a fine involved in breaching a permit, so way more than $600 that you could spend to get on road legit

integragsi96
07-12-2011, 03:53 PM
not the smartest thing putting that up on the interwebs either

androo
07-12-2011, 06:20 PM
It will cost you much more than $600 if you get caught mate. And they can tell your car is not registered from the number plate alone. No offence but using this car unregistered as a daily is a stupid idea. You could be spending that money on rego...

Essentially, you'll be driving around with no compulsary 3rd party insurance, so if you hit someone you're copping the bill 100% if they get injured (as well as a much higher possible of jail time for driving without compulsary 3rd party insurance). You're also driving with no 3rd party insurance at all, good luck if you hit a Merc or something...

You're a complete tool. People like you only learn after something happens...

DA9-47
08-12-2011, 02:33 AM
yonk..

What you mean Yonk?

da fuk?

Lucky no1 quoted you aye boss

put some pics up of your ride yeah?

we will all b checking

IV73CI
08-12-2011, 07:37 AM
It will cost you much more than $600 if you get caught mate. And they can tell your car is not registered from the number plate alone. No offence but using this car unregistered as a daily is a stupid idea. You could be spending that money on rego...

Essentially, you'll be driving around with no compulsary 3rd party insurance, so if you hit someone you're copping the bill 100% if they get injured (as well as a much higher possible of jail time for driving without compulsary 3rd party insurance). You're also driving with no 3rd party insurance at all, good luck if you hit a Merc or something...

x2

as i mentioned already ... :)

DA9-47
08-12-2011, 08:03 AM

yerp x3 for tool time

DA9-47
01-02-2012, 12:46 PM
wonder if he got rego for Christmas

dougie_504
01-02-2012, 12:59 PM
Just call all the necessary RTA's (VIC, NSW and ACT) and ask.

Mikecivic78
01-02-2012, 03:41 PM
unregistered cars are usually unregistered because they are pieces of shite (unless they are dedicated track cars)

Why buy an unregistered car from another state anyway?

senna
01-02-2012, 03:47 PM
You can drive an un-registered car with a permit interstate, i picked up an R33 Skyline from Melbourne and drove it back to sydney, you simply have to get a permit from the Roads authority stating the Time (approx.), Date and start point and destination of your trip and you can not deviate off this destination.

The cops are cool with the deal as long as you are heading in the right direction and you have all the right paperwork.

stndrd
01-02-2012, 03:56 PM
Simple answer NO.

They will not provide you a permit to drive a unregistered vehicle interstate.

if the car was purchased within the state you live in, then YES you can drive it to obtain a pink slip/roadworthy and then to the RTA/etc for registration purposes.

they will not allow you to drive the car interstate - you must tow or put the car on a trailer.

otherwise get the seller to register the car for 3months within the registered state - then just transfer it to your local state

if you take the risk, you could be up for $3000+ in fines.

Victoria does not have the option for quarterly registration, unless you are on a centrelink health care card, pension or one of the other forms of government benifits they allow. So if you are buy from Vic, talk to Vicroads and let them know whats going on, have a chat to the RTA in NSW & ACT then go from there

Drifter995
01-02-2012, 04:05 PM
pay the extra dosh for 6months rego?

bregs
03-02-2012, 06:33 PM
in nsw I'm pretty sure u can get a 3 day temporary rego just for driving to mechanics and that

white_ep3_civic
06-02-2012, 10:01 PM
It would be much easier and much less hassle to get a car trailer and tow it. That way you don't need to worry about getting different permits and getting hassled by cops.