PDA

View Full Version : VIC Tyre Profile Rules in VIC

mattsrea
07-12-2011, 04:56 PM
Hey guys i'm from Sydney moving to Melbourne soon and was wondering if i'd pass VICRoads roadworthy test with my new tyres i've got on. The new specs are: 195/50/15" and my stock ones are 185/60/14.

Lukey
07-12-2011, 05:00 PM
whats the load and speed ratings?

but it depends how much the rolling diameter has changed from standard, if memory serves me correctly i think its +/- 15mm

mattsrea
07-12-2011, 05:02 PM
whats the load and speed ratings?

I dunno the speed ratings and load but does 82V on new tyres help? And i can't remember my stock ones.

charliebrown
07-12-2011, 05:06 PM
Look on ya tyre placard?

mattsrea
07-12-2011, 05:22 PM
Look on ya tyre placard?

Honestly i dunno what that is, but i looked at my door jam my stock tyre profile is 185/60R14 82H

I done the Tyre comparison and compared my stock ones with new ones and the results are below
http://imageshack.us/f/714/84877927.png/

charliebrown
07-12-2011, 05:24 PM
You'll be fine

mattsrea
07-12-2011, 05:40 PM
Alright cool thanks because like the tyres i got on now stick outside the body abit.
http://imageshack.us/f/831/kumho1955015.jpg/

Lukey
07-12-2011, 05:43 PM
I dunno the speed ratings and load but does 82V on new tyres help? And i can't remember my stock ones.

82 is the load rating and V is the speed rating.

Honestly i dunno what that is, but i looked at my door jam my stock tyre profile is 185/60R14 82H

I done the Tyre comparison and compared my stock ones with new ones and the results are below
http://imageshack.us/f/714/84877927.png/

sounds like you looked at the tyre placard, it should also included recommended tyre pressure for standard tyres and a few other things.

size wise they are fine, load rating is the same so thats fine, the speed rating on the 15s - V , is greater than that of the standard tyres - H so that will be fine, so you should be fine.

this link is useful when looking at speed & load ratings of tyres to work out what ones you should get - http://www.bobjane.com.au/load-speed-ratings.html

one more question, how wide are your standard rims and how wide are your 15s? i think (but dont quote me on this) youre not meant to go more than 2" wider than standard rim width (also not sure if its what come standard on ur car or what was the widest for the series of car (if that makes sense))

mattsrea
07-12-2011, 05:51 PM
82 is the load rating and V is the speed rating.

sounds like you looked at the tyre placard, it should also included recommended tyre pressure for standard tyres and a few other things.

size wise they are fine, load rating is the same so thats fine, the speed rating on the 15s - V , is greater than that of the standard tyres - H so that will be fine, so you should be fine.

this link is useful when looking at speed & load ratings of tyres to work out what ones you should get - http://www.bobjane.com.au/load-speed-ratings.html

one more question, how wide are your standard rims and how wide are your 15s? i think (but dont quote me on this) youre not meant to go more than 2" wider than standard rim width (also not sure if its what come standard on ur car or what was the widest for the series of car (if that makes sense))

Oh ok thanks for the help have a sense of relief for now lol. And the stock rim size im not sure off, i'll check it out tomorrow and let u know but my 15s rim size is 15x8 with PCD of 4/100.

charliebrown
07-12-2011, 05:53 PM
Some shops will pass the 8", some won't. I'd just swap back to stock for the test. The rule is 1" wider, or 25mm. Your stock rim is something like a 14x5.5

Lukey
07-12-2011, 05:55 PM
it might say on the tyre placard what the stock rim width is.

but i got a feeling they will be too wide, and if your tyres are sticking out of the guards they will likely pick on that.

if you can id swap to stock rims to pass rwc then swap back

Lukey
07-12-2011, 05:56 PM
Some shops will pass the 8", some won't. I'd just swap back to stock for the test. The rule is 1" wider, or 25mm. Your stock rim is something like a 14x5.5

i thought it was 2"?

or am i think of the imaginary rule of 2" bigger in size? lol

charliebrown
07-12-2011, 05:58 PM
Pretty sure it's 1" width. Some morons made up rule about 2" wider diameter and now cops use it :confused:

mattsrea
07-12-2011, 06:27 PM
Damm serious?? I never thought about rim size, but what are the chances they'll actually consider rim size? :O
Because i kinda got rid of my stockies since i had no space to put them and i'll be moving to Melbourne next month.
I'll double check with the rim size of stockies tomorrow.

charliebrown
07-12-2011, 06:36 PM
I can lend you stockies if you want. Got 2 sets here. Plenty of people sell them for like $100 with rwc tyres anyway

mattsrea
07-12-2011, 06:43 PM
I can lend you stockies if you want. Got 2 sets here. Plenty of people sell them for like $100 with rwc tyres anyway

Oh fair enoughs, well i'll see what happens when i go down next month. I might as well drive my car till it runs out of nsw rego then transfer my licence as well as rego over. But yeah thanks for the offer if i need to revert back to stockies i'll be in contact since i'll be living in South East Melbourne as well. Is that how others get away with their rims? I reckon its stupid!

charliebrown
07-12-2011, 06:46 PM
The new VIC RWC laws are ****ed. They gotta take pics and vids or some shit so mechanics can't (or are reluctant to) turn a blind eye to obvious things like poking wheels. You probably will get defected sooner or later with those OGs

mattsrea
07-12-2011, 06:51 PM
The new VIC RWC laws are ****ed. They gotta take pics and vids or some shit so mechanics can't (or are reluctant to) turn a blind eye to obvious things like poking wheels. You probably will get defected sooner or later with those OGs

wdf are you serious? They gotta take pics and vids?? Thats so stupid and i just bought my og's and tyres too!!! :( Their only what 4 days old!!
Im sure heaps of Vic drivers have worst situations then i do..

charliebrown
07-12-2011, 06:57 PM
Just put the steelies on for the RWC, then put the wheels back on after and go transfer rego. Simple as that. You're making a big deal out of it lol

mattsrea
07-12-2011, 07:01 PM
Just put the steelies on for the RWC, then put the wheels back on after and go transfer rego. Simple as that. You're making a big deal out of it lol

LOL yeah might as well borrow a pair of old steelies when i go down. If i cant find any mind if i borrow some old rims from you? :)

Lukey
07-12-2011, 07:02 PM
ive been driving around like this since queens birthday weekend in june and havent been hassled once. but you will find cops are more strict in melb then where im from

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/307702_10150822176875696_894625695_20916948_137323 0343_n.jpg

EKVTIR-T
07-12-2011, 07:23 PM
I would pull you over purely coz you have a smartass plate lol

The wheels are just a bonus feature :D

mattsrea
07-12-2011, 07:31 PM
ive been driving around like this since queens birthday weekend in june and havent been hassled once. but you will find cops are more strict in melb then where im from

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/307702_10150822176875696_894625695_20916948_137323 0343_n.jpg
ahahaha arent you from melb though? Or did you move?

Lukey
07-12-2011, 07:38 PM

lol, most people ask. "what do your number plates mean?"

ahahaha arent you from melb though? Or did you move?

nah man, never have never will be from melb, hate the place lol. i live out in the sticks as most people from melb refer it hahaha

mattsrea
07-12-2011, 07:42 PM
lol, most people ask. "what do your number plates mean?"

nah man, never have never will be from melb, hate the place lol. i live out in the sticks as most people from melb refer it hahaha

hahaha dam lucky for you, looks like im gonna be the next victim to be constantly hasseled by cops especially when im a p1 driver and i have bright colour rims LOL :(

stndrd
07-12-2011, 10:17 PM
Vicroads guide to modification states that you are allowed no more than 2in bigger in overall rim diameter & 1in wider. Any part of the tyre/wheel that is sticking out past the guard can be deemed UNRWC (you can get past it with bolt on flares if negative camber doesn't tuck the top of the tyre/wheel up into the guard, ref j's racing bolt on flares http://www.j-sracingusa.com/jsusa/index.asp?xMODE=SHOP&xSW=3&xNO=FFL-01-F)

EDIT: Just saw that your moving the the S.E so I may be able to look after you with the RWC. Also we have to take photo's of the vehicle on the hoist with no wheels on the car, a picture of the odometer, vin number, engine number and major faults we find with the car.

Also you would be quite surprised at how little the cops know about Honda's. I have been pulled over many times in various Honda's from stock ride height to chassis on the ground and have not once been checked for ride height or noise test. Only got questioned about my B-pillar brace in my personal EG. Just don't go having stupidly stretched tyres on your rims & don't VTEC everywhere you go and you will be fine.

One last thing...... stay away from princes hwy on a friday night =P otherwise welcome to Melbourne

mattsrea
07-12-2011, 10:34 PM
hahaha thanks alot stndrd! I've pmed you too in regards to my car. Do you own a shop? Where abouts is it?

stndrd
08-12-2011, 09:51 AM
I don't own a shop just yet but where I work we do rwc and I personally do after hours work from the workshop, so if you need anything once you move down, let me know. I will reply to your pm a bit later today when i'm on a computer

mattsrea
08-12-2011, 03:12 PM
Yep sure i'll prob need to get a rwc sometime in June 2012 as i plan on driving my car around till my nsw rego runs out.

Oxer
13-12-2011, 02:29 PM

Like a cop would know what his plate means....

jahniel24
20-12-2011, 04:16 PM
If you keep your NSW plates the more less chance you'll get pulled over as per jurisdiction your car is still supposed to follow NSW rules. I ran like that for 10++ months! A green nsw p plater driving a turbo car. I have been stopped a couple of times for the boose bus, no word has been ever said about my license and my car!