PDA

View Full Version : Buying an S2000

pheestyle
09-12-2011, 12:56 PM
hey guys,
my name is Phee, new to the car scene.
at only 19 years of age im thinking of buying an S2000.

would anyone know/have information about these two S2000?

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/honda-s2000-1999-11611921?cr=0&distance=25&vertical=Car&eapi=2&page=1&sort=LastUpdate&__N=1216%201282%204294965322%204294964924&silo=Stock&Range=Price:Min,25000~1

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/honda-s2000-2000-11719430?cr=1&distance=25&vertical=Car&eapi=2&page=1&sort=LastUpdate&__N=1216%201282%204294965322%204294964924&silo=Stock&Range=Price:Min,25000~1

also, when inspecting one in person, what should i be looking out for. any input would be awesome :)

vbroom
09-12-2011, 04:07 PM
have a look through this link

http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/775801-what-to-look-for-when-buying-a-used-s2000/page__p__18400201__hl__buying+2nd__fromsearch__1#e ntry18400201

take the time to read all of it.

very useful info for you.

Newtype
09-12-2011, 09:18 PM
Remember to try and inspect everything out.. even the small things eg. aircon, opening/closing roof, lights. Small things like this if missing or broken could add to your final cost.
Also remember to test drive the car in all gears if possible. As for the cars, i recommend getting a History Report/REVS Certificate online.
http://www.carhistory.com.au/?gclid=COXKjvPu9KwCFUxypAod1hP5Sw
Might cost you some money but save you heaps of heartache if the cars turned out to be horrible D:

vtcwpn
10-12-2011, 02:30 PM
ayy im selling mines it immaculate message43 me if your interested

RIHIA
10-12-2011, 06:29 PM
ayy im selling mines it immaculate message43 me if your interested

what happened man... didnt you just buy this

Mikecivic78
10-12-2011, 08:23 PM
get a trusted mechanic ( with experience with hondas preferably) to check it before you buy

aozora
11-12-2011, 11:03 PM
Just briefly skipping through the guide, you will also want to check out the body and suspension arms if you can.
Seeing as you're new to the car scene, I would highly recommend getting somebody else to look at the car. There's alot to look out for and can throw even experienced mechanics off sometimes, especially considering how dodgy some people can be.

Briefly...
- Check for uneven gaps in the panels (Anything uneven means a panel has probably been replaced/repaired)
- Knock against each panel with your knuckle, the metal (won't work on plastic/fibreglass :p) should resonate the same sound through out that one panel. Any "dull" thuds might indicate body filler has been used from a repair. You can confirm this by pulling out the trim behind that panel to see for yourself (it basically won't be smooth inside :()
- Check out the paint, it should all look the same. Anything slightly off color (too bright or too light compared to the rest of the paint) that ISN'T faded naturally and doesn't look freshly painted... could indicate an accident there as well.
- Check for missing warning stickers/labels/badges. If they're missing, ask why... I'd just be suspicious :p
- Check out the headlights/tail lights, they should both look of similar age. If they've been replaced and it's NOT due to cosmetic reasons (ie. AP2 looks prettier and not because the owner thought he was a drift king and took out his rear end, damaging the tail lights in the process), so ask why.
- Look under the car, everything should be symmetrical. Left/Right control arms should be straight. If you're unsure, compare both sides.
- Check bolts in the engine bay look reasonably "consistent", as in, all bolts on the fenders are the same shape/size, all bolts on the front bar are the same shape/size. If they're not, ask why they were changed.
- Subframe should not be bent in any way. There's a fair amount of labour involved in swapping these out.
- Do the obvious - question the owner "Has this been in any accidents?"
- Use any flaws to your advantage in reducing the price (If it's expensive for what it is that is...)
- Check the vehicle history through the Vicroads website. Do not purchase anything that has finance or was a repairable writeoff. As much as you may like the car, there will be plenty of others... trust me :p
- And lastly, don't trust anybody selling a car. Some will appear straight up and honest but actually are just dodgy scum. Get EVERY agreement in writing with identification ID numbers etc.

Not long ago I was ripped off by a rat bag selling a Chaser who could not get rid of the finance owing on the car as we agreed. But I didn't get that in writing, it was a verbal agreement... so when he couldn't fix it, he wouldn't return my deposit and created a million bs excuses. In the end I forfeited my deposit as it wasn't worth my time and effort... (*cough* Ascend Automotive/Garage Affliction/Nathan Saunders/Lying scum *cough*).

Hope this helps... oh and get an experienced S2000 owner if you can, they will know exactly what to look out for and how the car SHOULD feel :) Good luck!

pheestyle
13-12-2011, 05:19 PM
thanks alot guys. will update on my s2k hunt

Newtype
15-12-2011, 02:43 AM
good luck! great car, sure you'll love it

DvS-
15-12-2011, 08:38 AM
Good luck on your car hunt! Take your time.. :)

eight
15-12-2011, 03:20 PM
The second one you posted looks pretty clean especially for the price. Make sure the car has a good service history, no major accidents and you're laughing!

Good luck!

s2kjn
16-12-2011, 02:01 PM
Not long ago I was ripped off by a rat bag selling a Chaser who could not get rid of the finance owing on the car as we agreed. But I didn't get that in writing, it was a verbal agreement... so when he couldn't fix it, he wouldn't return my deposit and created a million bs excuses. In the end I forfeited my deposit as it wasn't worth my time and effort... (*cough* Ascend Automotive/Garage Affliction/Nathan Saunders/Lying scum *cough*).

Hope this helps... oh and get an experienced S2000 owner if you can, they will know exactly what to look out for and how the car SHOULD feel :) Good luck!

U know that verbal agreements are still upheld in court? Especially if its over the statutory minimum of $2k (i think that's what it is still these days), u could sue that ratbag :)

Just so long as you can prove that u have taken appropriate steps to engange in an arrangement, you should be fine. I was surprised to learn this about 4 months ago when my business law tutor from uni brought it up.

aozora
16-12-2011, 04:25 PM
It was only $200 but for me it was more the principal of the matter but in the end not worth my time :p
Thanks for the info though, handy to know.