PDA

View Full Version : Best modifications to do first S2000

Newtype
10-12-2011, 02:09 AM
Since im still an amatuer and quite new to my S2000 was wondering if anyones got any ideas on the next modification i should do for my car. I'm not looking to spend massive amounts of money.

But i wouldnt mind saving up for something that would really help out my car. Im not going to be using it for track, only everyday driving, and spirited runs.

Recently changed my tires to a new set of Kumhos and replaced an OEM antenna.
Next thing i was thinking was a Cold air intake as i heard it helps overall peformance and aesthetic.

Think its a good plan or should something else be a prioriy on my car.

My priority for my car right now is to have above average (stock) peformance. And then spend the rest on apperance.

Any help and feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

aozora
10-12-2011, 08:31 AM
Welcome :)

Performance wise... I think a good balance would be between handling and power.
As the engine is already highly tuned you'll find getting enormous amounts of power is expensive anyway. So stick with the basics and let the car breathe better...
Intake, Headers, High Flow Cat (Or Test Pipe if you want to smell eggs all day long) and Exhaust.
There's a few intake kits that are reasonably priced like the Fujita or K&N FIPK, Headers is a difficult one but Toda/J's Racing/ASM seem to be the go, High Flow Cat - Berk Technology seem to have the best valued one available and Exhaust has countless options :) Check out the threads at s2ki.com under the "Under the hood" section.

Handling also boils down to what you like in a car.
With a street driven car, I'd personally start with KW V3 coilovers, Front sway bar, rear adjustable Toe arms, Alignment and of course good tyres (Not sure what type of Kumhos you have?) then go from there.

I'm assuming it's a second hand car, so also leave some money asside for anything that might end up breaking soon... it's a great reliable car but most aged cars will have a few parts that need replacing :) And the golden rule for modifying is "never replace, always upgrade" so if your radiator cracks for example, get a better one :P
This is just my own thing but also try to choose quality parts... you'll find it'll save you the hassle or even danger of them breaking or running into other problems and wasting time fixing it - again.

Hope this helps.

RIHIA
10-12-2011, 06:23 PM
final drive would be the best for what your after.
check out the thread and soon you will be ordering one, i got mine from s2ki.com there is a special for 295 US shipped ! cant beat that

Newtype
11-12-2011, 02:45 PM
Thanks aozora, appreciate your time and effort. Will take great consideration into what you've said.

tamay_s2k
12-12-2011, 12:13 AM
- change your final drive (best thing to do, i did mine 2 4.44 with a 1.5way kaaz lsd and i love it!!!)
- get coilovers
- better brake pads and rotors
- AND if u actually want more power..go forced induction.
= thats a total of almost 10k but atleast its money well spent.

instead of buying all these NA parts that actually dont give the car anything but 'brand wank factor'.
if you want noise, take your airbox lid off :)
remember that they are built standard to be as good as they can possibly be in a NA perspective. i got mates who have spent money on exhausts n headers and have actually lost power.
I spent 1k on my mugen intake and still till this day i still kick myself for spending that...probs a 5kw gain max..at the engine so probs nothing but a bit of response
O and a nice set of wheels :)

aozora
12-12-2011, 12:10 PM
snip

I would advise against doing brake upgrades UNLESS you're in a situation where you can actually get them to fade. Ie. Hill runs.
Otherwise if need be, get upgraded pads - stock rotors are fine. You'll find a lot of track people actually use OEM discs as slotted and cross drilled are prone to cracking more so. I track with RDA standard rotors with Project Mu HC+ pads and brake just fine.. awesome in fact :) Despite what alot of retailers will try to convince/sell you...

But like Tamay said, don't get something just for the name... Yet at the same time don't cheap out on bottom end, low tolerance production crap :p
Do your research, if you choose the right headers, intake, cat and exhaust combo you will make a decent amount of power and responsiveness. Just don't go buying anything that looks pretty cause that can make you lose power...

tamay_s2k
12-12-2011, 03:42 PM
aozora is 100% right

the only reason i changed my rotors was because ive been advised that the 'ebc red stuff' pads can really give standard rotors a hard time, plus i seen it myself on my mates GTR. his red stuff chewed stock rotors but once he changed the rotors no more issues
.. plus mine havent been changed since ive had the car so they have dealt with 80000kms of driving
how much did u pay for the project mu pads?
recommend it????

stndrd
12-12-2011, 04:59 PM
You can pick up HC+ for around the $350 mark. Contact Johnny or Roy at On The Run Motorsports for exact pricing and let them know Josh sent you

Newtype
12-12-2011, 05:01 PM
mmm after looking around and stuff, i think im gonna decide the next mod to change the air filter to a K&N one. then after that probably change the exhaust so it allows better flow.
probably change the final drive much later on as its quite expensive.
Sounds good?

jrstyles
12-12-2011, 05:06 PM
mmm after looking around and stuff, i think im gonna decide the next mod to change the air filter to a K&N one. then after that probably change the exhaust so it allows better flow.
Sounds good?

exhaust and fipk probably cost as much as a FD

RIHIA
12-12-2011, 09:12 PM
wow if you think $800 is expensive for part and install then you have chosen the wrong car to mod !

Newtype
12-12-2011, 10:34 PM
wow if you think $800 is expensive for part and install then you have chosen the wrong car to mod !

Who said anything about $800 O_o?

RIHIA
12-12-2011, 11:25 PM
Sounds good?

thats how much it is... a good exhaust will cost more than that and headers almost double

the acceleration from changing the diff ratio is better than any na mods you could do

tamay_s2k
12-12-2011, 11:26 PM
wait until your diff goes before you change your final drive, they're a ticking time bomb anyway :P

aozora
13-12-2011, 06:53 AM
aozora is 100% right

the only reason i changed my rotors was because ive been advised that the 'ebc red stuff' pads can really give standard rotors a hard time, plus i seen it myself on my mates GTR. his red stuff chewed stock rotors but once he changed the rotors no more issues
.. plus mine havent been changed since ive had the car so they have dealt with 80000kms of driving
how much did u pay for the project mu pads?
recommend it????

I love them! They chew through rotors, squeel on hot days and have heaps of dust but performance wise the initial bite, ability to hold high temps, maintain pedal feel are almost flawless. Very consistent pads..

I would recommend buying them directly from Japan. Front and rear set will set you back about $500 :) PM me if you need a contact.
But otherwise I get my rotors through OTR too.

A K&N FIPK kit or even a Injen/Fujita will set you back about $500 from memory and exhaust anywhere from $500 to up to $4000 :p

So a FD with just the drive part may be cheap in comparison, the labour will be atleast $600 if you take out the diff yourself... But theres still the Honda diff rebuild parts on top of that. Then a yellow box is needed to correct your speedo as it will be off after install. Then you also have to decide of you want to upgrade to an aftermarket clutch type diff... or a higher capacity rear diff casing (most failures are due to incorrect/bad installation or breakdown of fluids due to heat because of limited fluid capacity in the first place).
Like Tamay said, I'd would wait for it to break before doing anything... except I've been waiting a while haha.

Newtype
13-12-2011, 11:39 PM
ohhh okay :)

whokid
14-12-2011, 01:11 PM
Put a front lip is the first thing I would do, it makes your S so much better.
If you dont care about the out look, go for an intake and exhaust would gain a bit power and make it sound better

Newtype
14-12-2011, 08:18 PM
okay ive decided to rather just waste money on a Air filter, im gonna get a CAI (either AEM V2 or K&N).

Cant decided which one as both have thier advantages,

anyone got any ideas?

VeYzZii
14-12-2011, 09:11 PM
There are alot of post for CAI's. Google is your friend.

Newtype
14-12-2011, 09:15 PM
There are alot of post for CAI's. Google is your friend.

Yes i know that...

http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/634401-official-intake-thread/

I was just wondering what OzHonda members thought.

wynode
14-12-2011, 09:18 PM
Would be good to have a few people update the wiki:
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showwiki.php?title=S2000

tamay_s2k
15-12-2011, 12:49 AM
Like Tamay said, I'd would wait for it to break before doing anything... except I've been waiting a while haha.

gimme ur car for 10 mins and she'll be ready for a rebuild :P
ive had the experience of blowing 6 shafts and 1 diff. cause? sitting on the floor and thinking the car is a silvia -.-
i have learnt from mistakes but lol

aozora
15-12-2011, 05:21 PM
Lol I'll pass. Yeah don't know why Honda didn't learn from Nissan's diff design... Those things are indestructable :D Well almost... I've been babying my diff cause of all the stories I hear :p

Imo regarding the Intake, I went with K&N because of reputation, design (Not likely to get water sucked in) and gains. The AEM looks cleaner but given Melbournes weather, I didn't want to risk driving through floods and suck some water into the cylinders in the process...

Newtype
18-12-2011, 09:07 PM
Ive recently purchased a K&N FIPK and now waiting for it to be delivered.
Thanks for all comments and information, will update on how it goes.

tamay_s2k
18-12-2011, 10:12 PM
Good choice
They sound good and there not to expensive
U will love it

Newtype
19-12-2011, 12:11 AM
thanks ^^ i was reaserching and found the AUT cooling plate helps aswell? maybe a filter cover to prevent heatsoak if there is any at all?

jowjeh
19-12-2011, 11:57 AM
You're going to loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee it. Worth every cent!

I still gotta get a cooling plate

Mezza
19-12-2011, 05:28 PM
You should notice improved throttle response with the FIPK, I certainly did.
Gained about 6 extra hp as well.

Have fun and drive carefully!

tamay_s2k
19-12-2011, 06:23 PM
thanks ^^ i was reaserching and found the AUT cooling plate helps aswell? maybe a filter cover to prevent heatsoak if there is any at all?

the k&n intake system is designed in such a way that wen you do close your bonnet, the actual bonnet becomes the air tight lid on the system, that is why around the actual pod is a plastic box and some rubber lining. They do not need a lid because the lid bonnet compensates for it. if u are really worried about heat, yes heat shields are great. There is a password jdm one which is placed directly infront of the engine and there is the radiator cooling plate aswell

Newtype
19-12-2011, 07:18 PM
ohh i see, yeah then the heatshield that comes with the fipk and the bonnet of the car becomes like a tight hold that blocks of heat.

Thanks cant wait till it get it. 260$ for it shipped from US NEW.

barefootbonzai
19-12-2011, 08:21 PM
best modification to do first to your s2000 is buy the stuff in my forsale thread in my sig and put it on your car asap!

CRXDEL501
19-12-2011, 08:35 PM
final drive would be the best for what your after.
check out the thread and soon you will be ordering one, i got mine from s2ki.com there is a special for 295 US shipped ! cant beat that

we shall see ;)

Newtype
24-12-2011, 03:39 AM
Current mods waiting to get shipped and do:
New AP1 Rims
Hardtop Strikers
K&N FIPK
AUT Cooling Plate
Cusco Front Strut Bar

tamay_s2k
24-12-2011, 03:35 PM
i love waiting for goodies,
just got my new tires on the rear today
Nitto Invos 245/40/18

next week my BC coilovers and j's racing strut bar should arrive!!

AusS2000
24-12-2011, 04:14 PM
First part to modify is the nut that holds the wheel. :thumbsup:

Damn I'm sounding old.:o

tamay_s2k
24-12-2011, 07:34 PM
nah remove the aircon, shed that weight yo!

Newtype
24-12-2011, 09:55 PM
nah remove the aircon, shed that weight yo!

haha yeah for sure =="

good thing got priority mail so dont ahve to wait too long

let me know how the wheels and coilovers are.. how much did they set you back?

ncmx5
25-12-2011, 11:49 AM
Best mod imo is new brake pads - at least DS2500. Then front swaybar + x-brace. On the inside, new headunit/speakers with modifry harness, then AP2 gear knob with the leather so you don't burn your hands shifting.

tamay_s2k
25-12-2011, 12:23 PM
haha yeah for sure =="

good thing got priority mail so dont ahve to wait too long

let me know how the wheels and coilovers are.. how much did they set you back?
will do man
so far the tires are incredible. i got no problem around corners, especially with this kaaz lsd which is always trying to make the rear dance!
i got them for $450 each brand new which is a reasonably cheap price compared to the standard 600 you would pay for them normal tire joints.

nigoape1
31-12-2011, 12:10 AM
i used to use the Injen and i think its very much the same with any other good brand CAI...and it cost 1/3 of wht other CAI cost...

dlai5552
02-01-2012, 01:14 AM
Get dunlops and pay easily under $1000 depending on wheel size for an extremely grippy tyre too. I'd say the extreme street performance range are on par with the Advan AD08's.

aozora
02-01-2012, 08:29 AM
www.tirerack.com

Import them from the US. I got a set of Hankook RS3s in 255/40/17 for about $780 landed :)

Bludger
02-01-2012, 08:41 AM
wait until your diff goes before you change your final drive, they're a ticking time bomb anyway :P
too much lead foot.

das wai

Bludger
02-01-2012, 08:48 AM
Get dunlops and pay easily under $1000 depending on wheel size for an extremely grippy tyre too. I'd say the extreme street performance range are on par with the Advan AD08's.
dunlop what?

saying just a brand isn't going to help.

gimme ur car for 10 mins and she'll be ready for a rebuild :P
ive had the experience of blowing 6 shafts and 1 diff. cause? sitting on the floor and thinking the car is a silvia -.-
i have learnt from mistakes but lol
you make it sound like you're a driver with no mechanical sympathy

vyets
02-01-2012, 10:01 AM
dunlop what?

saying just a brand isn't going to help.

you make it sound like you're a driver with no mechanical sympathy

since he said extreme street performance range i would assume z1 star specs

dlai5552
02-01-2012, 01:09 PM

Correct Sir!

Mullensxxx
02-01-2012, 11:22 PM

im curious, why do people rave on about them a large ammount of people in the US seem 2 run them. is there something im missing? how would they compare to say a federal 595 rsr?

Mezza
03-01-2012, 02:27 AM
Intake
Exhaust
Extractors
Coilovers
Strut bar

List is endless...

vyets
03-01-2012, 09:21 AM
im curious, why do people rave on about them a large ammount of people in the US seem 2 run them. is there something im missing? how would they compare to say a federal 595 rsr?

afew of the boys here who run them love em ill be looking at running either the z1's or the rs3 next.

Here's a pretty detailed review on the extreme street performance tyre range
http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/839178-hankook-rs-3-vs-dunlop-z1ss-vs-federal-595-rs-r-vs-bridgestone-re-11/page__hl__federal+rsr

Mullensxxx
03-01-2012, 10:49 AM
^^ interesting read, its easy to just run what u know and be hessitant to try something new, the dunlops definately seem like they would be worth looking into

pm me where u get tyres vyets

tamay_s2k
03-01-2012, 11:25 AM
nitto invos!!!!
cant go wrong, they made my bridgestone potenza re001 look like stockies in terms of performance

Mullensxxx
03-01-2012, 11:32 AM
prob because re001's are pretty crap to begin with

vyets
03-01-2012, 11:40 AM
prob because re001's are pretty crap to begin with

agreed lol i didn't like them either but they aint in the same category as the other tyres anyway.

the invos seem cool but shoulda just went straight to the nt05. gotta mate running them on his sc'd s2k