PDA

View Full Version : How much should a service cost?

IDV8
12-12-2011, 11:05 AM
I only have a couple of days to do my registration/service etc so was thinking a) how do you find someone decent? and b) how much should a good service cost? Kmart Auto have the 'everything' package, not sure how thorough they actually are but thats $200 however my girlfriend had issues with them, took 3 visits to fix an issue with a brake pad.

EDIT: Car is a 2003 Honda Integra DC5 (auto) with ~123000KM on the clock

IDV8
12-12-2011, 12:54 PM
Just called the local Honda dealer, $700 for a major service and they need the car for an entire day.. says Kmart etc don't compare to them as they do system scans, check more ..can't remember exactly but along those lines
Kmart auto seem to have it for about 3-4 hours and thats all.. and apparently do:

Service & oil change including up to 5 litres of premium semi-synthetic oil
Premium oil filter
4 standard electronic wheel balances
Electronic battery condition check
Tyre rotation
Fuel system additive
Replace spark plugs
Inspect ignition leads & connections
Vehicle inspection

Anyone able to shed some light? So its $200 vs $700 but quality... unsure :\

mocchi
12-12-2011, 01:03 PM
Just called the local Honda dealer, $700 for a major service and they need the car for an entire day.. says Kmart etc don't compare to them as they do system scans, check more ..can't remember exactly but along those lines
Kmart auto seem to have it for about 3-4 hours and thats all.. and apparently do:

Premium oil filter
Tyre rotation
Fuel system additive
Replace spark plugs
Vehicle inspection

unsure?

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/customavatars/avatar34929_1.gif

$150 diy, get your own fully syn oil, oem filter and sp.plugs.
use multimeter to check ohm resistance on the leads, longer leads will have more resistance.

download service manual and it tells everything you need to do.
cheaper, better engine oil and you get to learn more about your car.

WYNNYNG there!

mocchi
12-12-2011, 01:29 PM
btw, asking price for a service in all motor section.
i dont even..

NeedVtec
12-12-2011, 01:51 PM
DIY it.

xtc.thai
12-12-2011, 04:27 PM
120000km service also includes valve clearances. Kmart and small workshops don't do them.

Dc5 use coil packs n not leads so there is no need to check resistance.

Concerto_Polson
12-12-2011, 04:55 PM
Ask people you know that live in your area for a good mechanic, I'm from Tassie, but I hear a lot of bad reviews about Kmart Auto service...

I do my own routine services for my car (89 Honda Concerto), its a lot cheaper, but if I need something like brakes I use a mechanic, and places like Bob Jane T-Marts for tyres and stuff.

Personally, I find a private type mechanic with their own smallish business to be better than large companies...

charliebrown
12-12-2011, 05:02 PM
Kmart Auto drove my mum's car into a tree. Then tried to hide it by reverse parking. Would not go there

Johnie
12-12-2011, 10:41 PM
Kmart Auto drove my mum's car into a tree. Then tried to hide it by reverse parking. Would not go there

lololol which kmart auto

mocchi
13-12-2011, 08:41 AM

lol did they pay your mum back?

aaronng
13-12-2011, 09:48 AM

Premium oil filter
Tyre rotation
Fuel system additive
Replace spark plugs
Vehicle inspection

Assuming that this is for a 120,000km/6 year service?
It's missing the valve clearance check, air filter replacement and you need to ensure that the spark plugs that are used are the correct type and not the cheap copper ones.

Fredoops
13-12-2011, 11:18 AM
Isn't there a shop near Hornsby that all Honda folks here recommend?

IDV8
13-12-2011, 11:42 AM
Assuming that this is for a 120,000km/6 year service?
It's missing the valve clearance check, air filter replacement and you need to ensure that the spark plugs that are used are the correct type and not the cheap copper ones.

How do I check they aren't cheap copper ones anyway? Whats the difference? Suppose I could request they do the valve clearance check & air filter replacement too? Thanks for the reply.

Fredoops
13-12-2011, 12:02 PM
Part numbers are different, the K-series uses iridium plugs.

Fetch a quote from top one automotive or something from Hornsby.

mocchi
13-12-2011, 12:08 PM
120000km service also includes valve clearances. Kmart and small workshops don't do them.

hahah das rye, sorry was so stupid to assume its b series even though he said dc5.
mustve read integra and thought of dc2.

NightKids
13-12-2011, 06:36 PM
Just go to Hanny's already... FFS

Lukey
13-12-2011, 06:54 PM
id do it for a slab

stndrd
13-12-2011, 09:03 PM

Alot of Honder dealers won't even do valve clearances as the apprentice will be carrying out the service.

Personally, I would charge $150+ parts for a 120k service (using fully synthetic oil of customers choice, platinum NGK spark plugs etc), but this is me doing after hours cash jobs as a qualified mechanics, so you can't really compare it to a properly set up workshop (even tho I guarantee my work with warranty, unlike alot of workshops at the moment).

I don't know Syd myself, but surely Hanny's/JDM Yard/BEL garage would be near you & one of these workshops should be able to do it cheaper than Honda has quoted you.

Lukey if you did it for a slab, personally I believe it not worth it, unless it was a good mate...

Evok
14-12-2011, 08:33 PM
Go hannys performance in smithfield...specialize in honda only...

120 for minor and for major they only change what needs to be changed and charge you what your ment to be charged...!

They use genuine honda oil too :)!

Fredoops
14-12-2011, 09:16 PM
Get some decent oil...

newpaddy3
09-04-2012, 11:46 PM
Cost of materials and DIY.

grifty
10-04-2012, 07:08 AM
Download a service manual and DIY it

IDV8
10-04-2012, 08:49 AM
Then when it comes to selling it "So wheres the service paper work if it was regularly serviced and looked after?" .. "Uhh I did it all myself" - wouldn't go down well compared to someone who has a 6-12month log book service from date of purchase.

jdm18c
10-04-2012, 09:44 AM
I have a log book stamp if that helps

newpaddy3
10-04-2012, 12:43 PM
Just say your uncle or something is a mechanic and used to service it with you.

KV73C
11-04-2012, 07:55 PM
Well first of all It all depends on what parts you want. Either Aftermarket or genuine.

IDV8
12-04-2012, 07:45 AM
I started going to a local mechanic who specializes in performance Honda's, has been great so far, I'll ask a question and he'll spend 20min telling me about it but other than that the guy knows what hes talking about - for those still wanting to know he said a major service is usually around $170 plus parts (includes changing everything, using genuine Honda preferred oils, genuine parts etc).