PDA

View Full Version : help !!ctr cams pistons valves springs

ah789454
18-12-2003, 01:31 PM
hello there ppl im in desperate need of your help
my friend wants to sell his ctr cams, pistons, valve springs for $1000.

i own a 1997 vtir civic my question is, is it worth it to buy this? and will i have a noticeable power increase??

thanks

BLKCRX
18-12-2003, 05:32 PM
Your engine should make more power for a further 500rpm above where it stops making power now, but you won't be able to rev much higher due to your bottom end still being stock (weak)

It won't be just a case of installing the parts and taking advantage, everything needs tuning you will need to use aftermarket ECU to increase your redline, change your vtec point and add correct fuelling and ignition timing to take full advantage of the modifications and new parts.

I honestly wouldn’t bother installing the slightly higher comp pistons unless you want to pay for a full engine rebuild.

Installing cams / springs can give some extra power, but when you rebuild your head you will need to buy a VRS gasket kit ( around 600$ ) for new gaskets to totally freshen up your head.

If you choose to install the pistons your also looking at a bottom end gasket kit which is around $500, and you would be stupid to not get new pistons rings ($250) new oil pump ($500) water pump ($350) new timing powersteeting ac belts ($200) I also recommended chaning while your engine is out all bearings mains and big ends and also the thrust washers, there’s another $1500 in bearings…

You will also need new oil plugs oil filter fuel filter and the list of things you could change for a complete engine rebuild can go on and on. Before long in parts alone you will need a good $4500 extra to refresh your engine and then labour on top of that, and you would be crazy if you did’t do the above things while your engine is in pieces.

So yeah in summary think very hard before you buy parts just to install some type R items…. In the end you would have a engine witch rev’s higher and makes a little more power, you should also balance / blue print the engine also… and for the money your spending you could use your current engine and just turbo or supercharge it well that’s what I think at least.

Regards James

ah789454
19-12-2003, 09:46 AM
so basically you are say save up about $5000 and turbocharge the car.

i have about $3000 saved up. i was thinkn of putting the b18c in the civic. it should be a straight swap shouldnt it. would i need the wiring harness aswell. would do u think??