PDA

View Full Version : Racing Fuels

tegstar83
22-02-2005, 10:51 AM
Hey Whats up just wondering if its okay to use racing fuels in a normal street car eg. ELF-LMS or Sunoco supreme fuel or Av gas??

SPEEDCORE
22-02-2005, 01:23 PM
Ok in what way? Safe to run without damage to engine etc? Or you mean legality wise?

If you are thinking that it will make your engine produce more power.... think again.

Kawasaki
22-02-2005, 01:27 PM
no point your car not tuned to use that kinda octane.

BLKCRX
22-02-2005, 10:26 PM
There are 3 major types of know racing fuel, plus many smaller ones…

ELF http://www.racefuels.com.au/

VP http://www.vpracingfuels.com/

Sunaco http://www.racegas.com/

Go to each website and have a read they all have large amounts of different kinds of fuel for different applications racing from 90 octane to 129+ for use with low compression engines to high compression engines such as 16:1 or greater. Most of the fuels come either as un-leaded or leaded depending on what your after. You do how ever need a license cams level 3 or a fuel license 2 buy most fuels. Will it hurt your car running race gas no… not if its unleaded, if its leaded remove your cat and you should be fine but for true benefits you need to significantly change your air fuel ratio’s and ignition advance to make more power. This is something you wouldn’t do with out doing it correctly as the top fuels often cost 20 – 40$ per L

If you want any more info call or email me

Regards James

tegstar83
28-02-2005, 02:15 AM
ok thanks for that was kinda curios if u could do suck a thing.
Oh. P.s sorry I havent been round to particpate in discussion as I was in hospital recovering from hernia op, it still farken kills :]

Disciple
28-02-2005, 11:22 PM
theres a petrol station in belmore which has 102 octane fuel out of the pump its off burwood road, i used it once in my twin carby 1.5 engine and i popped 3rds :P seriously tho it aint worth 385.0cents per ltr tho! $10 got my something like 2.5 ltrs wot a waste..

tegstar83
01-03-2005, 12:27 AM
theres a petrol station in belmore which has 102 octane fuel out of the pump its off burwood road, i used it once in my twin carby 1.5 engine and i popped 3rds :P seriously tho it aint worth 385.0cents per ltr tho! $10 got my something like 2.5 ltrs wot a waste..

Yeah I head something like that b4 too. True that thou its a rip off.
Was the power mad while it lasted though??
Maybe an octane boster is better.
I found this comparison B4 it's at http://www.sportscarforums.com/archive/index.php/t-3257.html
Test was done at a proper lab and all

Disciple
02-03-2005, 12:04 AM
Yeah I head something like that b4 too. True that thou its a rip off.
Was the power mad while it lasted though??
Maybe an octane boster is better.
I found this comparison B4 it's at http://www.sportscarforums.com/archive/index.php/t-3257.html
Test was done at a proper lab and all

yer man.. i seriously felt a difference with the racing fuel! because i put some fuel in on an empty tank($10 raised the fuel guage by 1-2MM above empty ROFL)

bumpy1
02-03-2005, 12:32 AM
i used to use avgas in my old eg civic and i think it made my car go much better. I got my mechanic frend to do something with my (as he said avgas has traces of lead in it and that can block up/stuff up your cat) and advance the timing as much as possible and it went really well. I was dragging my mates et turbos, vei civic sedan, pulsar SSS and a vti-r hatch (to name a few) and i was able to win a few times (My 1st/2nd gears were really good but they reeled me in after 3rd gear - no top end). It might have been my driving technique and a lot of luck (who knows) but even those friends of mine drove the car and they all thought it went alright.

i havent treid it in my em1 as avgas is no longer sold to the public here in S.A. but i dont think i would either. Very risky bashing out your cat and big EPA fines.

also i was paying about $1.40 p/l for avgas (this was a couple years ago though).

dunno much else about the other fuels! :)

archangelmiccy
02-03-2005, 01:43 AM
I know where that servo is in belmore, I was wondering if would be safe to use it in my car, I'll have to give it a go sometime

strafe
02-03-2005, 08:14 PM
You need a special permit to run Avgas in South Australia (Historic Cars, Etc). Racing fuel is legal, but ONLY if it's unleaded. Formula Ford use an unleaded racing fuel, around the 108 octane level (I think).

tegstar83
03-03-2005, 02:27 AM
You need a special permit to run Avgas in South Australia (Historic Cars, Etc). Racing fuel is legal, but ONLY if it's unleaded. Formula Ford use an unleaded racing fuel, around the 108 octane level (I think).

Elf sells racing fuel to the public thats unleaded and can be used for street use.
And as im aware av gas is just a higher octaine fuel

pgclee
05-03-2005, 02:27 AM
If you are rich enough...go ahead...hehe...anyway, it's better than all those normal fuel...hehe...

edw-R
06-03-2005, 12:33 AM
I think, if we use higher octane fuel, we need to adjust more timing to gain more power. If not, we can' t get any power without adjust timing.
If i'm wrong, correct me!!

TODA AU
06-03-2005, 05:35 AM
VP 103 & similar unleaded race fuels, though hard to justify the expense, are fine for the street.
To get the most out of it, the car needs to be tuned correctly.
Otherwise it is a complete waste of money.