PDA

View Full Version : gearbox noise help !

x3cindymichael
13-12-2011, 11:41 PM
hey guys got a 94 honda civic with jdm b16a conversion (manual)

cars been making noises for a while (month or so) but has been getting worse recently. Sounds seem to be coming from the gearbox ..its a whining noise its there a idol and when i'm driving (but can't really hear over exhaust) hear it when gearing down.. and at lights etc etc... seems to getting louder. I'm a noob and my guess is that i need trans fluid ? what do you guys reckon? any help appreciated.

cheers (:

mugen_ctr
14-12-2011, 12:53 AM
change the fluids and see what happens...

Worse comes to worse, the bearings inside the Gb are shot, which means u might need to tear down the gb and do a rebuild on it...

rebuild prices vary places to places and also depending on what needs to be replace also factor the costs of the rebuild... but generally speaking most rebuilds can cost anywhere of 700 - 1500 or more

mocchi
14-12-2011, 08:09 AM
change the fluids and see what happens...

Worse comes to worse, the bearings inside the Gb are shot, which means u might need to tear down the gb and do a rebuild on it...

rebuild prices vary places to places and also depending on what needs to be replace also factor the costs of the rebuild... but generally speaking most rebuilds can cost anywhere of 700 - 1500 or more

i wouldnt think rebuild and changing gbox bearings are the same.
i only use the term rebuild when all synchros on all gears, shift forks, main/countershaft, thrust clearance are checked within service limit and replaced if theyre replaceable.

rebuilt gearbox would include all bearing replacement.

x3cindymichael
14-12-2011, 09:44 AM
Ok thanks guys will change fluids today and see what happens :)

mugen_ctr
14-12-2011, 10:43 AM
i wouldnt think rebuild and changing gbox bearings are the same.
i only use the term rebuild when all synchros on all gears, shift forks, main/countershaft, thrust clearance are checked within service limit and replaced if theyre replaceable.

rebuilt gearbox would include all bearing replacement.

Most places ive come across tend to say, since its apart, its best to replace most items within it as its a hassle to later on and replace them if they decide to go crap....

but it might be cheaper just to replace the gb altogether

Sleepy.
14-12-2011, 12:21 PM
Most likely the ISB

x3cindymichael
14-12-2011, 08:31 PM
What's the isb ? Hm found out the windin was a p/s leak .. Gearbox still makes noises but it's
more a grinding .. Any ideas fellas ?

dougie_504
15-12-2011, 10:16 AM
Input shaft bearing. Light, continuous grinding on idle, tends to go away when you put your clutch pedal in.

x3cindymichael
15-12-2011, 11:23 AM
Yeah it's similar to that . Anyway to fix it ? How much would it cost ?

dougie_504
15-12-2011, 02:19 PM
It's expensive. Most shops ask for about $500 to remove/install a gearbox. The bearing itself won't be cheap but most shops would recommend or expect a full bushing kit instead of just the one. You'll be looking at $800-1500 depending. Call around and ask bro

mocchi
15-12-2011, 02:38 PM
It's expensive. Most shops ask for about $500 to remove/install a gearbox. The bearing itself won't be cheap but most shops would recommend or expect a full bushing kit instead of just the one. You'll be looking at $800-1500 depending. Call around and ask bro

you mean bearing?

this cindymichael in melb?

is it cindy or michael?

mocchi
15-12-2011, 02:41 PM
can do work ha prai here if in melb.
oem honda bearing replacement will be used.

x3cindymichael
15-12-2011, 02:42 PM
Nah I'm in bris . Thanks for the offer but

dougie_504
16-12-2011, 12:57 PM
Yeah mocchi I meant bearing lol

x3cindymichael
16-12-2011, 06:20 PM
Yeah it's more of a grinding noise when I gear
down now . Still bearings ?

mugen_ctr
16-12-2011, 06:54 PM
anything to do with grinding is to do with the syncros, most likely ur syncros are gone.... which most likely would mean u would need to replace a fair few parts, so pretty much a rebuild lol.... replacing all syncros, bearings an that isnt a cheap thing, especially when all the parts are going to be genuine parts from honda an depending on stock, maybe time to ship them to the rebuilders...

x3cindymichael
16-12-2011, 08:56 PM
Ah true .. Thanks for that ): hm .. Guess I'll get s quote ob a rebuild or maybe just get a LSD box

mocchi
16-12-2011, 11:40 PM
anything to do with grinding is to do with the syncros, most likely ur syncros are gone.... which most likely would mean u would need to replace a fair few parts, so pretty much a rebuild lol.... replacing all syncros, bearings an that isnt a cheap thing, especially when all the parts are going to be genuine parts from honda an depending on stock, maybe time to ship them to the rebuilders...

no.

and replacement of all synchros is not necessary. depends on the condition upon inspection.
if crunch 1st -> 2nd then you check if 1st gear synchros are still good or not.

if still good then you can just change 2nd gear synchros, 1-2 synchro hub and sleeve.
if you can get 1st gear synchro cheap like from synchrotech then might as well replace it as its recommended to replace synchro rings together with the sleeve.

dougie_504
16-12-2011, 11:42 PM
See if you can get aftermarket synchros too. There are some good options like Synchrotech.

A lot of people will tell you to get a replacement gearbox but it's worth the peace of mind of knowing everything is new when you rebuild. And yes you can pop an LSD in but that's also not cheap. Food for thought :)

x3cindymichael
17-12-2011, 10:28 AM
haha alright cheers i'll go chase some prices down. thanks for that

x3cindymichael
21-12-2011, 12:07 AM
update: one of my mates reckons could be clutch throwout bearing. getting it checked soon. hopefully all go's well :D anyone know approx price to fix?

mocchi
21-12-2011, 11:49 PM
update: one of my mates reckons could be clutch throwout bearing. getting it checked soon. hopefully all go's well :D anyone know approx price to fix?

the price would be approximately expensive.

x3cindymichael
21-12-2011, 11:52 PM
okay lol thanks for that haha see how it goes.