PDA

View Full Version : second gear grind

X8TEENX
13-12-2011, 11:48 PM
Anyone ever have problems with their car popping out of 2nd gear during HARD braking? I find my car keeps popping out of 2nd gear when I'm diving into the corners braking hard

It doesn't really ever do it on the street and on the road course I don't really use 2nd gear so I don't have any problems. The car upshifts and downshifts fine into 2nd gear and under normal driving and very spirited driving it never really pops out

anyway my car is honda interga dc5r

NeedVtec
14-12-2011, 12:51 AM
Sychro's are laters me thinks. Same thing with mine, you learn to live with it i guess, i just started holding it in gear 2, doesn't affect daily drive much so not gonna bother with a fix. If anything, put it new gearbox oil and see if that helps, might just be a band aid fix but yaaaaa never knoww! Or take it easy on the roads hehehe

rossirider
14-12-2011, 05:05 AM
I've read of strange incidences where if you have a weighted shift knob, it will make second gear pop out under heavy braking.

Jccck
14-12-2011, 11:28 AM
I've read of strange incidences where if you have a weighted shift knob, it will make second gear pop out under heavy braking.

I've actually experienced this.. A friend made a small Piston into a Shift Knob for his Rodeo (Etched the H pattern and all, it was neat!)
But under brakes it popped second and fourth gear.. Ended up changing it out because it was annoying.
And the piston wasn't even that heavy

jdm18c
14-12-2011, 04:20 PM
sycros probs gone..dont worry bout changing the shift knob unless its ways a tonee

Alexplicit
14-12-2011, 08:22 PM
im thinking more engine mounts under hard breaking meaning going from flat chat to clutch in brake in? therefore the engine goes from one extreme to the other. i would put my money on a shagged rear engine mount.

X8TEENX
14-12-2011, 11:23 PM
Thanks guy

IV73CI
16-12-2011, 11:02 AM
im thinking more engine mounts under hard breaking meaning going from flat chat to clutch in brake in? therefore the engine goes from one extreme to the other. i would put my money on a shagged rear engine mount.

x2 to this.

1) If you put enough strain on the engine (cornering or hard engine brake) this can cause your engine mounts to slightly move which then causes your shift linkages/rods to move which then causes you to pop out of gears.

2) If your bushings or shift locking pin/ shifter boot is fhuked or not correctly in place, engine movements again will cause your gears to pop out.

Generally 2nd gear is a common gear to pop! but all worse case scenario is that your synchros had a bad beating :P

too much vtaakking!

X8TEENX
16-12-2011, 02:29 PM
Thanks I will check my engine mount tomorrow. I hope I wouldn't take out gearbox and check! Why drive Honda coz vtecccccc lol

blastnpast
16-12-2011, 02:43 PM
Pm me if you need price List on the synchros and gears