PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! - Concerto - Not Working!!

Concerto_Polson
14-12-2011, 06:10 PM
I have a 1989 Concerto with a fully stock D16Z2 engine it, with no modifications to the car at all.

The other day, it decided not to start. as far as I could tell then, it was the distributor cap, which I replaced. However, now, the car will start, but only if I short out the clip for adjusting the ignition timing. When the car does start, it will idle fine, and rev fine if you gently ease the throttle, but any more than a quarter throttle causes the car to stall.

This happens with both the new and old distributor cap. The battery is fine, all cylinders spark fine. All the injectors are injecting fine.

Anyone have any ideas??

Concerto_Polson
15-12-2011, 08:28 PM
After spending more time today inspecting the car, it turns out the cylinders are sparking, but not correctly, they are very erratic, and often not firing at all.

After talking to someone who knows a bit about cars, but not a lot about fuel injection, he suggested it might be the Crank Angle Sensor. Does this sound right? Is there anyway to test it?

Also, the computer is NOT giving any fault codes.

grifty
15-12-2011, 08:39 PM
Theres no external sensors such as crank/crank angle on the engine. Sounds like a possible problem with the dizzy, Are you able to get your hands on another dizzy? I think there is a distibutor angle sensor inside the dizzy but i am not 100% sure.

Concerto_Polson
15-12-2011, 08:55 PM
I was told the crank angle sensor is in the dizzy, unless my friend has got confused between crank angle sensors and distributor angle sensors, if there's any difference.

Gotta ring up the wreckers yard tomorrow and find out if they've still got the dizzy off the Concerto they have in their yard...

grifty
15-12-2011, 08:57 PM
Yeah your right the crank angle/cylinder position sensor is in the dizzy itself.

Shame you aint in NSW because i got a spare dizzy here and i could of lent you a hand.

Concerto_Polson
15-12-2011, 09:01 PM
Sometimes it sucks to be stuck down in Tassie =/

The wreckers yard should have the dizzy, when I got the motor from them they took the dizzy off, just so long as they haven't sold it...

IV73CI
16-12-2011, 12:31 PM
could be a faulty ignitor...

have you also check your spark leads? changed spark plugs?

Concerto_Polson
16-12-2011, 05:22 PM
How do I check the ignitor?

Changed the spark plugs the other week after I discovered it was running on 3 cylinders. And I tried with the spare set of leads I have, didnt make any difference =/ can't think of anything else beside the ignition module or dizzy.

IV73CI
17-12-2011, 07:15 PM
How do I check the ignitor?

Changed the spark plugs the other week after I discovered it was running on 3 cylinders. And I tried with the spare set of leads I have, didnt make any difference =/ can't think of anything else beside the ignition module or dizzy.

The ignitor = ignition module.

Should be located as a small box or could be inside dizzy.

Concerto_Polson
18-12-2011, 03:06 PM
Its inside the dizzy on the Concerto. How do I check it to find out if it is the cause of my problems? Or do I just have to replace it?

Concerto_Polson
21-12-2011, 07:55 PM
Got another dizzy for my car, that fixed the problem, so its all good now.

IV73CI
30-12-2011, 09:52 PM
Got another dizzy for my car, that fixed the problem, so its all good now.

good news..

great it solved your problem.