PDA

View Full Version : Change in muffler colour

Alvis
14-12-2011, 11:55 PM
Hi guys,

I recently topped up my normal v power fill with Nulon pro-strength octane booster and noticed after going for drives the colour in the muffler pipe goes to a gold colour - does anyone know why this is?

Normally it's just black...

http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m579/apalmucci/My%20Civic/P1040625.jpg

kyzz
15-12-2011, 07:17 AM
did you give it some vtec?

mocchi
15-12-2011, 07:34 AM
that looks more like turd brown than gold.

Alvis
15-12-2011, 08:06 AM
ha I wish, only a d series lol

looks brown, but just pic quality...

you think an additive in the octane booster?

kyzz
15-12-2011, 08:10 AM
i'm guessing you can wipe it off with your finger and goes back to standard steel? Might be something they put in it, pretty sure higher octane fuel has a faster ignition rate which could mean whilst all the petrol is getting burnt, there is still some reminents of additive or whatever mimmick they use to make it 'better' coming straight through the engine, probably just soot or something

mugen_ctr
15-12-2011, 10:32 AM
seems normal enough, must just be the octane booster working its magic, or rather cleaning agents lol...

Alvis
15-12-2011, 11:30 AM
thanks guys, I think you're right and it must be just the octane booster goodies - just never noticed it before.

But yep, all wipes off a-ok :)

Thanks fellas!

VT3C
15-12-2011, 03:43 PM
did u advance your ignition timing when running the octane booster ?

Alvis
15-12-2011, 04:04 PM
did u advance your ignition timing when running the octane booster ?

no... although I think there is a note on the bottle on the back saying you may need to adjust timing to get 100% benefit from it...?

VT3C
16-12-2011, 10:49 AM
yeah, try advancing the dizzy as far as you can - then go find a steep hill and drive up it at 60km in 4th gear and floor it.. if it pings (metallic tapping 'pinging' noise) then u need to back off the dizzy a bit.

and are you using factory-reccomended spark plugs ? on the electrodes of the plugs if they turn that colour (versus black) it normally means your plugs arent the right temp range.

Alvis
16-12-2011, 01:52 PM
The car doesn't ping as far as I know at the moment... just with factory settings

I do have NGK Iridium spark plugs on there - probably about 30,000 on them... Plus I've never changed my ignition leads - although I do have some new Top Gun ones sitting in the cupboard I've never really bothered to install...?

aaronng
16-12-2011, 02:22 PM
Lots of additional crap inside octane booster which gets burnt and ends up going through your exhaust. I wonder if the catalytic converter's lifespan is shortened by using octane booster.

Alvis
16-12-2011, 11:13 PM
Good point aarong, according to Nulon apparently not... but I'm not expert and haven't read all the literature out there..

http://www.nulon.com.au/products/Fuel_Treatments/Pro-Strength_Octane_Booster/

And while a little off topic - this is a good reason not to put E10 in your car (not that I'd think many people on this forum would):
http://www.fuel-testers.com/gasoline_octane_and_ethanol_E10.html

I tried it once couple of years back and the car felt like absolute rubbish not surprisingly