PDA

View Full Version : Removing the timing belt rear cover to get at the waterpump on D16A8

hondapop
16-12-2011, 09:37 AM
As the title indicates I've got to replace the waterpump on my CRX D16A8, but I can't figure out how to remove the back timing belt cover. It doesn't seem to be able to be pulled off over the engine mount bracket and the top bolt holding the bracket on, is tucked up under the cover. W/shop manual doesn't say how. Someone must have done this job. The cover also partially covers the pump as well.

stndrd
16-12-2011, 10:19 AM
From memory you should still be able to get water pump off without taking off the rear cover. Just angle the pump out and in

hondapop
16-12-2011, 01:18 PM
Thanks, I'll have another look, have to jack the end of the motor up a bit, see if I can get a better view. It looked like at least one of the pump bolts was covered, but I'll get a mirror down there as well, could help.

ECU-MAN
16-12-2011, 02:48 PM
From memory you should still be able to get water pump off without taking off the rear cover. Just angle the pump out and in
mate you are way off

you have to remove the

- roccer cover
- engine mount
- power steering hose
- power steering belt
- altenator belt
- harmonic balancer
- top cover
- bottom cover
- remove timing belt
- possibly remove the tentionser
then you can remove the water pump

mocchi
16-12-2011, 03:11 PM
As the title indicates I've got to replace the waterpump on my CRX D16A8, but I can't figure out how to remove the back timing belt cover. It doesn't seem to be able to be pulled off over the engine mount bracket and the top bolt holding the bracket on, is tucked up under the cover. W/shop manual doesn't say how. Someone must have done this job. The cover also partially covers the pump as well.

whats rear cover?

timing belt is enclosed with 2 plastic sections (top n bottom)
top one comes out easy, 3 10mm bolts.

bottom one is alot harder because you have to remove crankshaft pulley.

stndrd
16-12-2011, 03:56 PM

mate you are way off

you have to remove the

- roccer cover
- engine mount
- power steering hose
- power steering belt
- altenator belt
- harmonic balancer
- top cover
- bottom cover
- remove timing belt
- possibly remove the tentionser
then you can remove the water pump

I was assuming that he had removed all of that and I was also assuming that he is talking about the rear timing case cover that sits behind the cam gears and finishes just above the water pump.

But being a mechanic, I wouldn't really know a lot tho would I.....

hondapop
16-12-2011, 07:18 PM
I was assuming that he had removed all of that and I was also assuming that he is talking about the rear timing case cover that sits behind the cam gears and finishes just above the water pump.

Yes I had already done all that ( haven't removed the valve cover though, gonna try and rig something up to hold the sprockets in line when I replace them). I had a look to judge what difficulties might present themselves in trying to remove and replace the pump without removing that back cover but decided to go ahead and and do so if I could find a way. Realised I would have to remove the sprockets because the cover fits into the back of them. Main thing that was stopping me was the fixed bolt that sticks up out of the mount bracket (I thought it was fixed in to it like a wheel stud i. e. pressed in on a spline) but once I discovered it was a screw in stud, was no problem to lock a couple of nuts onto it and unscrew it. After that was no problem to get both the cover and the mount bracket off. Fortunately 'cause my time is free I will spend some to make things easier to access.

Glad I did 'cause it wasn't easy to get the pump out of it's housing, it was stuck well. Also discovered the jockey wheel ain't too good either (tried to spin it but stops immediately, doesn't feel rough but there's scuff and light burn marks on it, so in the bin).

Getting all that gear out of the way gave me the opportunity to clean up the gasket seating and spigots, the latter made necessary when I couldn't easily extract them, so removed the ones out of the new pump instead. Fitted the new pump late this arvo, so at least that's done. Old one, the bearing was real rough, probably where a lot of noise has been coming from.

grifty
16-12-2011, 07:49 PM
there should be 2 holes on the top of the cams so you can slip in 5mm drill bits to hold the camshafts in place when you undo the cam gears. You should easily be able to find them once you take of the valve cover.

hondapop
16-12-2011, 08:16 PM
there should be 2 holes on the top of the cams so you can slip in 5mm drill bits to hold the camshafts in place when you undo the cam gears. You should easily be able to find them once you take of the valve cover.

Yes I did see that in the W/shop manual. I was trying to avoid taking the valve cover off at the moment until I see/hear what difference what I'm doing now makes to the rattles that seem to be coming from the front of the engine. Someone has made a real good job of sealing it down with silicone (you know, spread it from elbow to a***hole) and I want to get a new gasket before I do. At least it's not leaking oil haha.

I had to rig up a piece of alloy bolted between the flywheel and bellhousing to get the front pulley bolt out, that and a 3/4 drive breaker bar and 1.2mtr extension for the handle. Had to bounce on it twice to get it to move.

stndrd
16-12-2011, 09:22 PM
The main crank bolt can be a bit of a prick to get off but you've done the right thing. Good to hear you were able to replace the pump

ECU-MAN
17-12-2011, 03:13 PM

sorry bud,

I was thinking you where talking about the front cover.

Snoop_gee
17-12-2011, 09:38 PM
Im all about pics.
So im hoping this will then help
what do u mean by back cover thou

http://www.redpepperracing.com/gallery/d/269093-1/dohc+removal.jpg

http://www.redpepperracing.com/gallery/d/269096-1/waterpump.jpg

hondapop
18-12-2011, 09:19 AM
Hi there snoop, long time, no hear (on CRX Aus that is).

The back cover is very poorly shown in those drawings (Oh, for the old time manuals) it fits up behind the cam sprockets (is actually tucked into them) and has that boxy piece sticking out around the nose mount bracket. One of the top pump bolts is somewhat covered and obscured by it as well and if you wanted to remove the mount bracket as well, it's top bolt is also covered and virtually innacessible as well. I'm glad I removed it all 'cause the pump was stuck fast and I would have had a real struggle to get it out.

Anyway here's a couple of pics that will give you an idea until I get time (Xmas is the worst time to get anything done) to do a write up.
Looking down on pump (cover and bracket in place)
http://i898.photobucket.com/albums/ac188/tootnkumin/HondaPops%20CRX%20and%20projects%20pics/morewaterpump006.jpg
Looking up from beneath.
http://i898.photobucket.com/albums/ac188/tootnkumin/HondaPops%20CRX%20and%20projects%20pics/morewaterpump008.jpg

Now with the back cover and mount bracket removed.
http://i898.photobucket.com/albums/ac188/tootnkumin/HondaPops%20CRX%20and%20projects%20pics/morewaterpump017.jpg

Snoop_gee
28-12-2011, 08:29 AM
The site CRXAUS has slowed down heaps. I am on JDMSt the most should check it out.

Well done on the pics it captures everything quite well.
Looks to be a tight spot.

hondapop
28-12-2011, 09:23 AM
The site CRXAUS has slowed down heaps. I am on JDMSt the most should check it out.

Well done on the pics it captures everything quite well.
Looks to be a tight spot.

Yes it's been pretty inactive at times over there (specially at the moment), gets little spurts and then goes quiet.

Not much room down the end of those engines, the plastic bung that covers the access hole for the timing belt adjuster fell to bits when I popped it out so got a rubber one from Clark Rubber. Can't get my hand around from in front (even though all the A/C pump and brackets have been removed) to get it in. Alternator belt is in the way from beneath, so off it will have to come again.

If there's one thing I detest, it's having to take several backward steps to take 1 forward.