PDA

View Full Version : car parts while traveling on airplane

hmetro24
17-12-2011, 03:07 AM
I wanna ask if it is possible to take car parts on air plane while traveling, like shocks strut bars... How many KG are permitted or if possible to pay for the extra weight.

blastnpast
17-12-2011, 06:17 AM
Nice question also keen to know

mocchi
17-12-2011, 07:04 AM
im 99% positive you cant send something that can explode via air e.g. compressed gas.
shocks are compressed gas. cant send airbags via air too unless its enclosed in special packaging which most sellers will not have.
(no, not talking abt thicker carboard boxes)

i tried to send shocks from japan via airmail but was returned and had to use seapost.

Mikecivic78
17-12-2011, 07:13 AM
Obviously you can't take a strut bar with you as carry-on luggage. Appropriately packed, I don't see why you can't put it with your checked luggage

marquee
17-12-2011, 08:39 AM
Yer you can but excess baggage is like 10$ a kilo

Egcivicduty
17-12-2011, 09:36 AM
for jetstar
its cheaper if you buy it before you get to the terminal, i.e online before you need to check in
max is 40kg or something like that.
it's cheaper to buy the extra weight when you first buy your tickets, unless you buy the max, then either way it doesnt matter (when you change after already booking your tickets, any increase in weight is charged the maximum 42$)

hope it helps,
also, i could understand why they wouldnt let you, but coilovers would most likely be in your checked baggage, and the luggage compartment isnt even pressurized right?
I'll be taking parts home on a plane in a few weeks...... hopefully :thumbsup:

Tai
17-12-2011, 09:42 AM
Depends on the airline.

I know of someone taking a Jazz CF bonnet on board flight back to Australia ROFL !!!

jeremydawg
17-12-2011, 10:04 AM
CF bonnet LOL

I am doing the same. Going to the states in February and will be taking some shiz back on the plane. just gotta pay excess luggage.

would be a good idea to get into contact with your airline and ask them whether or not they can transport struts, how much excess luggage costs etc

Egcivicduty
17-12-2011, 10:13 AM
I think excess baggage at the terminal for jetstar is 25$ a kilo for international flights

you could tape coillovers to your body and pretend they help you move i guess lol
Non-flammable, non-toxic gas cylinders worn for the operation of mechanical limbs. Also, spare cylinders of a similar size if required to ensure an adequate supply for the duration of the journey. Are ok

also worth mentioning that the max weight for each checked item is 32kg or theyll charge freight prices i think
plus you get 10 kg carry on?

hmetro24
17-12-2011, 12:01 PM
Is there any website that shows permit stuff that can put on the air plane. I am not gonna carry too much clothes like 2 bags, it's gonna be like 5kg max.
What about hand tools?

jeremydawg
17-12-2011, 12:30 PM
good info here. List of dangerous goods that can and cant be carried on a plane

http://casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD::pc=PC_90372

let me know if the link doesnt work. links to this website sometimes dont work

hmetro24
17-12-2011, 12:59 PM
good info here. List of dangerous goods that can and cant be carried on a plane

http://casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD::pc=PC_90372

let me know if the link doesnt work. links to this website sometimes dont work
but nothing related to cars :| thanks anyway