PDA

View Full Version : Recaros in Euro

LOC888
22-02-2005, 04:59 PM
Thinking of putting recaros in the euro, firstly is this legal, cause the seats have the side airbags? Secondly, Ive been told that this causes the srs warning light to come up, is there a way to turn the warning lights off?

euro77
22-02-2005, 05:37 PM
for your first question, I believe it is illegal because you are removing the airbags (I read somewhere that if you remove an airbag already put by factory, your car will become illegal).
for your second question, I guess you can always take out the wire that lights up the warning light.

Of course I might be wrong though, and also, different states have different rule...

Type R Positive
22-02-2005, 10:13 PM
Don't know if legal, but you could argue that euro R has recaro's standard.

Usual Suspect
22-02-2005, 10:20 PM
maybe it woul dbe best to put the euro r recaros in ur euro, but dunno if this would still beat the legality of it.

Catcha
22-02-2005, 10:23 PM
It would be illegal, cause your removing a safety feature of the car which was fitted standard from factory , if you have a crash and your insurance finds out kiss you compensation goodbye. On the other hand if you fitted it to a standard Euro without side airbags it would be totally legal.

PERTH_EURO
22-02-2005, 10:25 PM
would be illegal
as stated by Euro77

cmf
23-02-2005, 03:06 AM
I don't know that it is considered illegal. Because it is a safety feature on your car, it may be something you have to report to your insurance though. Only reason is that your premium is also based off having those bags, so without them, you get into a side impact accident which hurts you, your coverage may not stand. If you inform them and they adjust your premium for that, then you have no worries my friend. Many cars are made without airbags, but it doesn't make a car illegal.
As far as the light, you can get a resistor to trip them into thinking they are still attached. Many people here in the US put in JDM seats to the RSX, and have done this mod. I'll try and find the link and PM it to you. Either way, if you want to search as well, go to www.clubrsx.com
Maybe laws are way different there, but I can't see how swapping a seat is illegal. If that was the case, they wouldn't sell aftermarket seats in your country except on a black market.

yfin
23-02-2005, 05:44 AM
It would be illegal, cause your removing a safety feature of the car which was fitted standard from factory , if you have a crash and your insurance finds out kiss you compensation goodbye. On the other hand if you fitted it to a standard Euro without side airbags it would be totally legal.

Standard Euro has airbags in the seats too

ABS121
23-02-2005, 07:29 AM
Would you really forgo Safety for more snug seats, kinda stupid if you ask me.

yfin
23-02-2005, 07:54 AM
Would you really forgo Safety for more snug seats, kinda stupid if you ask me.

Fair call and I tend to agree with you :thumbsup:

BUT - I can see another view - eg you could say the same for lots of things -eg turning off VSA when driving or buying the standard model (with no curtain airbag) instead of luxury (with curtain) for the sake of a few thousand. Where do you draw the line on forgoing safety - sometimes I cycle to work knowing it is less safe in peak hour - it is a risk I take. I could just as easily drive or take public transport - a safer option.

I don't have any answers - I just think it is more complicated than saying it is a stupid idea. He is assuming the risks - something we all do every day.

Hipsi
23-02-2005, 08:06 AM
A more snug fit provides for a better feel of the car, makes easier to predict the car's movements and could possibly be beneficial in an emergency (this coming from a race driver's point of view).

However I'm quite content with my plush leather thank you. ;)

Catcha
23-02-2005, 12:04 PM
Standard Euro has airbags in the seats too

True hey.........forgot the lux has the extra curtain airbags as well...my mistake..it's all illegal then :D

LOC888
23-02-2005, 01:10 PM
Thanks for the advice, guess ill have to check with insurance first, btw the recaros are a used pair from a euroR.