PDA

View Full Version : Engine Inspection Question

kristian1
18-12-2011, 11:11 PM
hey all , not too sure if this is the right section so i apologise if it isn't lol, but in the next few days im goin for a long drive up to Qld to pick uo a b16a2 that was pulled out a few years ago so im assuming it hasnt been started for over a year, i was told it has 130,000 km on it roughly but im more looking for a bit of advice on what i should be looking for and precautions when looking at it , thanks!

stndrd
19-12-2011, 07:42 AM
Find out if the seller has the means to be able to get the engine running. If he doesn't, firstly, it's a bit hard to carry out compression test etc. At least pull off the rocker cover and inspect for any sludge build up in the cylinder head & if you want, pull the sump off. Secondly, get it written into the invoice that you have say 2 weeks for the engine to be fitted by a qualified mechanic and if it fails compression/leak down/any other test you carry out, that you can return it attached with a copy of the invoice from your mechanic stating what is wrong, for a full return. Otherwise, good luck with it

IV73CI
19-12-2011, 11:20 AM
^^ as above.

if you can get it started that would be awesome - otherwise things to look out for;

1) Oil leaks around the oil sump, dizzy, Vtec solenoid, top rocker cover.
2) look for signs of any coolant leaks/dried up deposits around the thermostat housing, around the radiator hoses and importantly around the side below timing gears but look under the engine next to the sump. (this will allow u to know if the water pump is leaking down)
3) Check radiator overflow bottle for any signs of oil, dark residue - (possible head gasket leak/damage)
4) Remove the oil cap and inspect inside for any oil deposits - otherwise have the rocker cover removed and inspect.
5) inspect spark plugs (if any) - check the condition of the point (it will be black but look for any anomalies)

If the engine can be started

1) Listen for any weird sounds
2) Check the colour of any exhaust smoke.
3) Check radiator coolant for any bubbles or oily residue (carefully remove the rad cap whilst engine is running) - if these are visible, possible head gasket issues.

good luck bud - hope this helps.

sent you PM.

kristian1
21-12-2011, 11:50 PM
Awesome! Just what I was looking for , I'll let use know how it goes :D