PDA

View Full Version : difference between ef9 and eg6

gnx1987
19-12-2011, 02:48 PM
I'm after a black ef9 but haven't been able to find one after almost a year. I'm thinking about going for an eg6 but aren't too familiar with them apart from the fact I understand it's the eg equivalent to an ef9. Is this right? What are the differences apart from obviously the looks.

jeremydawg
19-12-2011, 03:21 PM
pretty much

Both came standard with a B16.

IMO you should go for an EG. They both look great but EG has more aftermarket support. Handles better, Newer chassis, although both models are getting old
Easier for conversions, obd1 i believe so hondata is plug and play.

Both are expensive, a bit difficult to find.

this is a good read
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?118837-EF9-vs-EG6-what-would-you-buy/page2

~Sp33~
21-12-2011, 06:15 PM
...Handles better...

Debatable.

OP, have you tried looking for an EF8? They seem more popular than either EF9 or EG6.

pat88c
21-12-2011, 07:00 PM
If yopu really want EF9 civic wait and keep saving you cash as you never know what you need to be replace when you buy it or buy Mint EF9 civic for top dollar

If you want buy somethging now Buy Limo EF8 crx turbo great look car, well look after and has some extra ponys for some fun but with high price but worth it for dollars spent over the year by Limo to get it where it is
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?158847-1989-EF8-CRX-turbo

markismaximus
21-12-2011, 07:54 PM
main difference is EF is better :p

~Sp33~
21-12-2011, 08:09 PM
If yopu really want EF9 civic wait and keep saving you cash as you never know what you need to be replace when you buy it or buy Mint EF9 civic for top dollar

Is this english?

dougie_504
21-12-2011, 09:47 PM
EF is my preference because I love the shape but in many ways I think the EG6 would be a better option. Jeremydawg sunned it up well IMO.

Snoop_gee
21-12-2011, 10:59 PM
pretty much

Both came standard with a B16.

IMO you should go for an EG. They both look great but EG has more aftermarket support. Handles better, Newer chassis, although both models are getting old

Both are expensive, a bit difficult to find.

this is a good read
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?118837-EF9-vs-EG6-what-would-you-buy/page2
Sorry where are you base'n has more aftermarket suppport.

ED/EF can upgrade to most EG/DC2R stuff suspension wise.
And all model specific swaybars and struts bars are readily available also.

How can newer handle better. ?
IMO Sorry but it sounds as thou u only know about the EG and aint giving the EF the true street cred it has as the ultimate old school "CULT CLASSIC. "

jeremydawg
22-12-2011, 10:01 AM
Sorry where are you base'n has more aftermarket suppport.

ED/EF can upgrade to most EG/DC2R stuff suspension wise.
And all model specific swaybars and struts bars are readily available also.

How can newer handle better. ?
IMO Sorry but it sounds as thou u only know about the EG and aint giving the EF the true street cred it has as the ultimate old school "CULT CLASSIC. "

Sorry, is that english?

Firstly BOTH are great cars. ok? happy now?

So as said handling can be debatable. However, EG chassis is more stiffer and ridgid than the EF. There are alot of EG's on the track and for good reason.
Its quite well known that there are alot more interchangeable parts and aftermarket parts for the EG. Theyre so popular and you can do so much with them. EF had its prime time, support has shifted more for the EG now.

Either way im sure you will have fun with either car. Its just that the EG is less of a headache

~Sp33~
22-12-2011, 03:07 PM
There are alot of EG's on the track and for good reason.

Because there's more of them around these days... Hardly a reason a valid reason for why they're better.

Its quite well known that there are alot more interchangeable parts and aftermarket parts for the EG.

Actually there was far more models based off of the EF chassis than there was the EG chassis.

Its just that the EG is less of a headache

Buy a 2010 Corolla if you don't want a headache.

GSi_PSi
22-12-2011, 04:47 PM
haha you guys dont sound biased at all !....

the dude is after the differences with the Eg6 and EF9 lol, well
the eg6 is hydrauilic gearbox s4c/y21 b16a LSD (but because it was a factory option some camewithout)
the ef9 is cable box y1/ys1 lsd
EG6 has abs, 262mm brakes, electric folding mirrors, Shares DC2R rear lca, white faced cluster, spaceship seats and black interior parts

EF9 series 2 had abs,sunroof, power options etcc

im sure theres more info out there some ef9 and eg6 fans want to add

VT3C
23-12-2011, 08:49 PM
I have an eg5 converted to eg6 spec and also an ef9.
Both have their strengths and weaknesses.
There is absolutely no doubt that oem and after market support is much better for the eg.. try throwwing ef or even ed part numbers at your dealership lol.
Ef is noticeably lighter but the eg chassis is more responsive. You can make the ef chassis FAST but man it's raw which is not nesc a bad thing haha.
If I had to choose an ef or eg if both were new and parts support wasn't an issue.. i'd take the eg6 as its more balanced and refined.
The ef is more fun to drive though and would be better at autokhana style events, slightly longer wheel base and wider track width on the eg better for circuit IMO.
Stock for stock the eg has 10ps, 200rpm, 0.2 points up on compression and shorter ratios and final drive but the ef seems to have more low down torque and the 150 or so kgs weight difference.
If you have any questions feel free to ask.
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k210/VTEChnique/KB-BG_Rims-swap_05.jpg

gnx1987
01-01-2012, 09:33 PM
last two posts very informative. anyone here want to sell their eg6 or ef9. I've almost sold my current car and won't have anything to drive soon. and I'd rather civic. I drove an ef8 tonight and i think the back seats too small. and what does "Shares DC2R rear lca" mean?

~Sp33~
01-01-2012, 10:10 PM
It refers to the box type style lower control arm. Most civics require a fork style coilover to sit over the LCA. The DC2R one sits inside the LCA.

Box type (dc2r): http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR5zsERSNB4oO4Er0Q02VbF2Nd33Tn8S eShj8oiqdTJcEt0--syBvMLL3JOsw

'normal' fork type at the bottom, dc2r up top to compare: http://www.norcalcrx.org/tyson/pics/rearLCA1.jpg

Bludger
02-01-2012, 02:31 AM
I had a much more comprehensive reply to everyone, but it got deleted after I accidentally clicked the wrong link.

so here is a toned down version.

EG has more aftermarket support. Handles better, Newer chassis,
more aftermarket support, based on what evidence?
Handles better, based on what evidence?
EF9 would be obd0

Anything over 10 years old will inevitably be unreliable. Things tend to go wrong when you least expect it.

giving the EF the true street cred it has as the ultimate old school "CULT CLASSIC. "
street cred? cult classic? Yeah mang, the EF9 is better because it's a cult classic. I swear you've got more loose wires up there than I have.

There are alot of EG's on the track and for good reason.
Its quite well known that there are alot more interchangeable parts and aftermarket parts for the EG.
Theyre so popular and you can do so much with them.
Either way im sure you will have fun with either car. Its just that the EG is less of a headache

There are more EG's on the track for good reason. What reason may that be?
A lot more interchangeable parts & more aftermarket parts? please provide the evidence to your conclusion.
What can you do to an EG chassis that you can't do to an EF?
I consider EG's to be more of a headache than an EF

pat88c
02-01-2012, 10:11 AM
Silly question but why is eg a more headach?

I only work on ed/ef so need to learn

Bludger
02-01-2012, 12:14 PM
Silly question but why is eg a more headach?

I only work on ed/ef so need to learn
tighter cram everything in later model design.

Even if it's just one model difference.

earlier models are always easier to work on imo.