PDA

View Full Version : DC5R - Car starts without engaging clutch

teiji
19-12-2011, 07:35 PM
I've read several times about engaging the clutch when starting a dc5, but for some reason since i got it 4 months ago my car starts without engaging clutch.

I just want to know if its a bad thing and what is up with my clutch starting

Thanks guys

_bORdO_
19-12-2011, 09:11 PM
what?
i dunno dude, i dont own a dc5 but that doesnt sound right to me at all.
that is to say as long as its in neutral im pretty sure you dont need to depress the clutch to start your or any car.

cant wait for someone with experience to answer this.

OMG.JAI xD
19-12-2011, 09:25 PM
I've read several times about engaging the clutch when starting a dc5, but for some reason since i got it 4 months ago my car starts without engaging clutch.

I just want to know if its a bad thing and what is up with my clutch starting

Thanks guys

In any car you dont need the clutch to start the car.

Only time you do, is if the car is fitted with a safety switch (on the clutch or brake switch)
If one is fitted, basically, if these switches arent activated (reading one or the other is applied) it will not complete the starter circuit.

On a vehicle that is a little bit more simple, these systems are not evident.

It is a recommendation to start the car with the clutch depressed because if you have placed the vehicle in gear while parked and forgotten, there is a chance of the vehicle taking off on you.
Probably not so much on our torqueless 4 cylinder motors.

But say, for instance. A 351 chev that has the same amount of torque at idle as our cars travelling at 2500rpm.
If this vehicle was started with it in gear, mostly on 1st gear, it will more than likely start IN GEAR and continue to drive while in first.

This recommendation with starting with the clutch depressed is not one to warn the driver of harm to the vehicle.
Moreso for safety.

You can start an engine without a gearbox.
So starting the car with the clutch not depressed will not do harm.

hmetro24
19-12-2011, 09:37 PM
what?
i dunno dude, i dont own a dc5 but that doesnt sound right to me at all.
that is to say as long as its in neutral im pretty sure you dont need to depress the clutch to start your or any car.
cant wait for someone with experience to answer this.
even if it's on neutral it will not start unless you engage the clutch.

In Australia they do not have this safety feature( or whatever they call it). So do not worry about it.

this is the switch http://causeforalarm.thecarthing.com/version6/stealth_alarm/clutch_switch.jpg

1900-hustler
20-12-2011, 06:12 AM
your dc5 will start without the clutch being engaged..

more modern cars will need the clutch depressed in order to start

it is good practice to do it so you dont accidently start in gear but its completely normal

JPR28610
20-12-2011, 10:15 AM
So far all the ep3s I've driven I had to engage the cutch to start but aud integera don't have this feature

Bludger
27-12-2011, 03:32 AM
In any car you dont need the clutch to start the car.

Only time you do, is if the car is fitted with a safety switch (on the clutch or brake switch)
If one is fitted, basically, if these switches arent activated (reading one or the other is applied) it will not complete the starter circuit.

On a vehicle that is a little bit more simple, these systems are not evident.

It is a recommendation to start the car with the clutch depressed because if you have placed the vehicle in gear while parked and forgotten, there is a chance of the vehicle taking off on you.
Probably not so much on our torqueless 4 cylinder motors.

But say, for instance. A 351 chev that has the same amount of torque at idle as our cars travelling at 2500rpm.
If this vehicle was started with it in gear, mostly on 1st gear, it will more than likely start IN GEAR and continue to drive while in first.

This recommendation with starting with the clutch depressed is not one to warn the driver of harm to the vehicle.
Moreso for safety.

You can start an engine without a gearbox.
So starting the car with the clutch not depressed will not do harm.
such a complex answer for a basic question.

aaronng
27-12-2011, 08:58 AM
It is a safety requirement for cars sold in the US and UK. Some brands such as Hyundai sell the UK version here in Australia, so you have to hold the clutch down. Honda doesn't, so it starts without holding down the clutch.

Cars like the FN2R are built in the UK and might have this "feature".

androo
27-12-2011, 09:26 AM
+1 Rep for OMG.JAI xD

arronng, FN2 doesn't have this feature. Not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing (old Hyundai had it, quite liked it due to people not starting the car in gear when they drive it - I noticed more and more young people don't park in gear these days).

Indie
27-12-2011, 12:48 PM
Just get in the habit anyway, it's good driving.