PDA

View Full Version : Burning smell + Hot rim

Integ97
20-12-2011, 12:24 AM
Hi, i have a 1997 honda integra and the back left tire/rim smells of burning and when you touch the rim its quite hot. When you compare this to the other 3 rims there is no sign of burning smell or heat when you touch the rim, that is the back left rim is Very noticeable in smell and heat. Does anyone know what might be the problem??? e.g ill drive 10km and this will occur

i did have the brake pads on my car changed about 1.5-2months ago. Also to note, my hand brake was not up when driving.

thankyou in advanced.

Johnie
20-12-2011, 12:38 AM
take the rim off and see whats rubbing

V73C
20-12-2011, 01:54 AM
Check your hub bearing

Sent from my u8800 using Tapatalk

hmetro24
20-12-2011, 02:05 AM
jack the car up, and spin the wheel, if it does not spin freely it could be that the pads are tight

EG30
20-12-2011, 03:26 AM
were the rear pads installed correctly?

ie the pin on the pads line with the the slots on the pistons?

check also none of the brake pistons are seized also, and the calipers were bolted up properly.

aaronng
20-12-2011, 07:07 AM
Also check your handbrake cable adjustment. You are supposed to slacken that off so that you get 5-7 clicks on the handbrake after replacing the rear brake pads.

1900-hustler
20-12-2011, 08:43 AM
id say it was the brake pads which were not installed correctly..

did you take some brake fluid out when you pushed the pistons back in?
the piston might be slightly ajar when the brake is released or hand brake is released..

it might be touching slightly but thats enough to create the friction between the pad and the disc

id take it apart - have a good look and see what you find

otherwise if your not sure take it to a mechanic

Integ97
20-12-2011, 10:30 AM
Thanks guys for the responses much appreciated, i jacked my car up and released the hand brake and i notice that my left back rim has a large resistance when you spin it. im assuming that this needs to be fixed. Aswell when i did the back right hand side, that side can spin fully however there is a small amount of resistance you can see... so this also would be a problem? and there shouldnt be any resistance when you spin the wheel? thanks

aaronng
20-12-2011, 12:15 PM
Thanks guys for the responses much appreciated, i jacked my car up and released the hand brake and i notice that my left back rim has a large resistance when you spin it. im assuming that this needs to be fixed. Aswell when i did the back right hand side, that side can spin fully however there is a small amount of resistance you can see... so this also would be a problem? and there shouldnt be any resistance when you spin the wheel? thanks
Should be no resistance when the handbrake is off. Take off the centre trim at the hand brake area and adjust the hand brake cable. It is adjustable for left and right side independently. No need to pull the brakes apart again.

Integ97
21-12-2011, 03:35 PM
Should be no resistance when the handbrake is off. Take off the centre trim at the hand brake area and adjust the hand brake cable. It is adjustable for left and right side independently. No need to pull the brakes apart again.

im not to sure if it is due to the hand brake cable as for my car there is 12 clicks for my handbrake before its pulled up and holding my car. As you said it can be adjusted independently would it be possible to have the left hand side to have a very firm adjusted and the right hand side to be very loosely? if its not this ill just have to take it to the mechanics.

thanks

aaronng
21-12-2011, 04:25 PM
im not to sure if it is due to the hand brake cable as for my car there is 12 clicks for my handbrake before its pulled up and holding my car. As you said it can be adjusted independently would it be possible to have the left hand side to have a very firm adjusted and the right hand side to be very loosely? if its not this ill just have to take it to the mechanics.

thanks
Yes it can. One side can be totally slack and the other side totally tight. However, if that was the case, you shouldn't be able to get to 12 clicks. Something is wrong if you can get 12 clicks as your handbrake would be facing upwards at 45º like an erect *****. Bring your car to your mechanic.