PDA

View Full Version : Eating Oil

Simmoyo
20-12-2011, 10:41 PM
Hey guys, I've done my research and I know that loosing 0.5L of oil per 1,000kms is normal.
My AP1 has chowed 3.5L over 3,500kms, so double the normal amount.

details:
- year: 2000
- runs perfectly
- @103,500km's
- cusco catch can
- wider throttle body
- hits VTEC about 6 times a day
- BP ultimate only
- filled with OEM 10w-30w oil @100,000kms
- Since then been topped up with Motul 5w-40w, so far added 3.5L
- no white residue in oil
- does not blow green smoke, but there's a small puff of black smoke when it hits VTEC while the car is stationary in neutral, nothing in low revs. Sort of smells like unburnt fuel.
- exhaust tips turn black pretty fast, BP fuel could be the reason?
- not sure if I have the new oil jet bolts
- when checking the oil level, the oil from the dipstick is more black than gold, even though I've added 3.5L over 3 months
- normally get 330kms per full tank, almost all city driving

Apparently catch cans should help lower oil consumption... so should using 5w-40w oil, but my car has the munchies.

Anything to be worried about?

curtis265
21-12-2011, 06:32 PM
Hey guys, I've done my research and I know that loosing 0.5L of oil per 1,000kms is normal.
My AP1 has chowed 3.5L over 3,500kms, so double the normal amount.

details:
- year: 2000
- runs perfectly
- @103,500km's
- cusco catch can
- wider throttle body
- hits VTEC about 6 times a day vtec causes u to burn oil..
- BP ultimate only
- filled with OEM 10w-30w oil @100,000kms is this the right grade?
- Since then been topped up with Motul 5w-40w, so far added 3.5L is this the right grade?
- no white residue in oil
- does not blow green smoke, but there's a puff of black smoke when it hits VTEC in neutral, nothing in low revs. Sort of smells like unburnt fuel. running rich
- exhaust tips turn black pretty fast, BP fuel could be the reason? running rich. not BP's fault
- not sure if I have the new oil jet bolts
- when checking the oil level, the oil from the dipstick is more black than gold, even though I've added 3.5L over 3 months Engine's just dirty?
- normally get 330kms per full tank, almost all city driving

Apparently catch cans should help lower oil consumption... so should using 5w-40w oil, but my car has the munchies.

Anything to be worried about?

the catch can doesn't reduce oil consumption, itjust stops it from going back into the intake and burning in the cylinders

I think your oil burning is due to blowby at the piston rings. Perhaps your rings are a bit worn. Maybe get a compression/leakdown test done?

blk_shadow
21-12-2011, 06:50 PM
either that, or the FRM on the cylinder wall is thinning out.

VeYzZii
21-12-2011, 08:43 PM
The problem is VTEC 6 times a day.. :P

Simmoyo
21-12-2011, 09:21 PM
pfffft it loves it...

I hope its not the rings or the walls, Ill get it pressure tested in a few months. thanks

IEVAQ8
21-12-2011, 09:40 PM
try running a thicker grade oil...
15-50 or something like that and see how it goes...

eight
21-12-2011, 10:19 PM
How you do hit vtec in neutral?

RIHIA
21-12-2011, 11:53 PM
while your rolling ;)

hmetro24
21-12-2011, 11:56 PM
Check the pcv, Do a leakdown test, use thicker oil.

jowjeh
22-12-2011, 11:33 AM
Think i've got a similar problem. Trying 10w-40 motul now seeing how it goes. fml

curtis265
22-12-2011, 12:23 PM
oh that's right iforgot about the FRM. I lose a bit of oil from that too. Some say preludes lost a bit of oil from the factory, all cos the FRM sleeves don't hold oil as well or something

blk_shadow
22-12-2011, 07:32 PM
its wear and tear. The FRM walls are thinning, therefore oil escapes to the combustion chamber and burnt off.

That is why in most cases of S2000 losing oil, it cannot be traced where its gone to.

FRM is used on H22A, C30, and the F20C

tamay_s2k
23-12-2011, 09:12 PM
it depends on how you drive it, wen i vtec mine day in day out it chews through oil, ive been very soft on the car last 30 days and have barely had half a ltr drop.

Simmoyo
27-12-2011, 11:10 PM
Check the pcv, Do a leakdown test, use thicker oil.

My PCV leads to the catch can which has a little vent on top. Sometimes I see fumes coming out of it after driving hard. That's obviously not oil, just gasses so that shouldn't drop the oil level right?

What do you clean your PCV valve with?

I also notice that driving harder chews more oil..

Anyone know of a good place and price to replace the FRM's?

blk_shadow
28-12-2011, 08:14 AM

not sure which engine builder shop here is good. Normally, they'll replace it with stainless ones as like the B and the K uses (more durable and long lasting and best of all you can hone it).

price wise, not 100% sure, but it wont be cheap. As they need to dismantle the engine.

curtis265
28-12-2011, 10:43 AM
My PCV leads to the catch can which has a little vent on top. Sometimes I see fumes coming out of it after driving hard. That's obviously not oil, just gasses so that shouldn't drop the oil level right?

What do you clean your PCV valve with?

I also notice that driving harder chews more oil..

no the idea of the catch can is that the oil that comes through the pcv valve is 'caught' in teh cannister... if your piston rings aren't sealing, then gases from teh combustion chamber are 'blowing by'. This builds pressure in the crank case and it needs to be vented somewhere or it'll cause heaps of problems. the gases go through the PCV and sometimes take a bit of oil with it

Simmoyo
28-12-2011, 08:19 PM
no the idea of the catch can is that the oil that comes through the pcv valve is 'caught' in teh cannister... if your piston rings aren't sealing, then gases from teh combustion chamber are 'blowing by'. This builds pressure in the crank case and it needs to be vented somewhere or it'll cause heaps of problems. the gases go through the PCV and sometimes take a bit of oil with it

That makes sense... thanks for clearing it up

So if the piston rings are actually worn, and the car only noticeably chows through oil in VTEC, do the rings need to be changed asap?

If black smoke is fuel, there may be a chance my engine is just running rich I hope :D

curtis265
29-12-2011, 08:58 AM
yeah ur just running rich on vtec, it's normal.

Your worn piston rings/sleeves will respresent a bit of power loss and oil consumtion. It does not mean that you will randomly blow up one day. It's just a sign of either age, bad maintenance or abuse from either you or a previous owner.

so in other words, you have nothing much to worry about unless you start seeing blue or white smoke

tamay_s2k
29-12-2011, 10:33 AM
better it being rich then lean ;)

stndrd
29-12-2011, 11:34 AM
If your in the S.E suburbs and would like me to have a look at it, I'm back from holidays on tuesday & my workshop is located in Cranbourne. PM for details

Ten Four
29-12-2011, 02:25 PM
My stupid car is still on F (cold reading) and I'm due a service in 200km :eek: . Oil is still light brown too...

I checked this AFTER I spent $93 on Royal purple which is now sitting in my bedroom :thumbdwn:

Stupid car :angel:

dc2r-0636
29-12-2011, 08:06 PM
^^
how is it a stupid car if its not burning oil lol?

share with us;
how many K's on the engine?
what oil are you using ATM?
what oil grade are you using ATM?
and whats your driving style ?

curtis265
29-12-2011, 08:31 PM
My stupid car is still on F (cold reading) and I'm due a service in 200km :eek: . Oil is still light brown too...

I checked this AFTER I spent $93 on Royal purple which is now sitting in my bedroom :thumbdwn:

Stupid car :angel:

I don't quite understand what you are trying to say?

http://www.memedepot.com/uploads/1000/1148_1253230725640.jpg

Ten Four
29-12-2011, 09:12 PM
lol just being bored and having a whinge

109,920km
oil = unknown as just bought (service sticker says due at 110km)
driving... baby mostly but lots of hard driving on cruises...

curtis265
29-12-2011, 09:13 PM
right. well if it's full the don't bother touching it.. If it's burning oil maybe the old owner just filled up the oil... just sayin.

Go get a compression/leakdown test on ur engine done when u go for service too

tamay_s2k
29-12-2011, 10:07 PM
does anyone else change there oil and filter every 5000kms or is it just me??

Ten Four
30-12-2011, 12:34 AM
does anyone else change there oil and filter every 5000kms or is it just me??

In my old GTR I used to but that's only cause it was making big power.. S2000 I'm going to leave it to every 10k or until the oil level drops / turns black. (Using Royal Purpo)

blk_shadow
30-12-2011, 07:05 AM
I change mine every 4000kms ish, i love my engine to stay clean and fresh.

Honda recommends oil drop every 5000kms, its a good idea to listen to them :)

stndrd
30-12-2011, 08:42 AM
On any high performance engine, whether it is an F20/K20 or a 900hp RB26DETT, if it is constantly seeing high stress situations for long periods of time where the oil heats up and can start to burn off, it is always a good idea to service it every 5,000km. This way you are hopefully preventing oil starvation (if you fail to check your oil level once a week), preventing sludge build up & even if it is a top of the shelf oil like Motul or Royal Purple, oil can only handle a short amount of time at high temperatures before the compounds start to break down and your oil is as good to you as water

Ten Four
30-12-2011, 01:15 PM
Noted. My car is a daily (rarely ever hit Vtec) and I thought the recommended oil change was every 10k... My log book is stamped every 10k?
I check it fairly regularly though and while its still light brown I and full I see no point in changing it? The only time I drive it hard would be maybe once a fortnight or so..

Simmoyo
04-01-2012, 05:58 PM
THE RESULTS:

Josh, aka stndrd was kind enough to look at my car today. He's a genuine guy and answered every question I threw at him, I definitely recommend him!!!!

He did a pressure test... the results were basically 205, 205, 205, 205. the second cylinder took longer to get to 205 but I'm happy with the result

Josh also stuck a micro camera through the spark plugs and found that some of the tops were a little bit wet, especially no 2, which if I remember correctly means the valves aren't the best.

Damn good deal especially because he only wanted $30!

Cheers Josh

stndrd
04-01-2012, 06:21 PM
No worries Simon. As I said earlier, I will let you know tomorrow on those prices you were asking about and we'll go from there =]