PDA

View Full Version : my DA9, aka the CV snapper!

Touge Tom
20-12-2011, 11:12 PM
ok for the past 6 months iv'e gone through 4 driver's side CV shafts (inner knuckle closest to the gearbox). iv'e installed each one properly (each cir-clip was fine.) and checked and changed the upper wish bone/ ball joint as i had to, due to it failing, (now using skunk2 camber kit pro series.)and the bottom ball joint is in perfect condition. is there any thing else i have forgotten to oversee?

DC2-PWR
21-12-2011, 08:27 AM
I had a simular issue a few years back and I knew I did the installation 110% accurate, I took my time and did it in 8hrs going baby steps at each process.

The issue was that I bought a cheap replacement CV. Which don't last that long, and even if they have warranty - they will catch you for upgraded tyres from factory, or more camber settings etc.

PM JDMyard for a reasonable set if that is your problem too.

Touge Tom
21-12-2011, 09:25 AM
i'm not too keen on aftermarket drive shaft's ( heard too many horror stories). i wanna try and keep it OEM. i also forgot to mention that after my many attempts. that i took the car to GPC in yennora. and had them fit one for my DA9 which was DA9 spec but once i got home and reversed parked whilst full steering lock right the CV snapped. so i towed the car back to GPC. and got another one fitted. now this time they fitted another CV and explained to me that they used a shaft this time round, that is 10mm longer from another model honda.(i didn't catch what model). i drove the car from yennora to ryde with no CV failure, YET? i will be getting a wheel alignment on thursday 22/12/11. but in the mean time i got my DC2 to use till then. but the fella's at GPC said to me they couldn't understand why a CV suited for a DA9 would fail so many time's. could the anchor points on the lower control arm that bolt to the sub frame have stretched. as i have jacked the car up many times and tried shaking the wheel from top and bottom as if looking for a worn wheel bearing, this is how i found that i had to change the upper wishbone ball joint.

stndrd
21-12-2011, 09:36 AM
How low is your da9? depending on how low it is, you may need to fit front extended ball joints as the angle that the shaft is on at correct ride height may be putting too much stress on the inner cv

Touge Tom
21-12-2011, 12:33 PM
Not that low. I've driven this car at the same ride height for the past 7 years. Not till recently in the last 6 Monte I've had this trouble. Could it be a chassis alignment issue.

stndrd
21-12-2011, 01:34 PM
Too hard to say without inspecting the vehicle about chassis alignment. I wouldn't think so tho...

GSi_PSi
21-12-2011, 04:00 PM
having the same problems with my b20vtec dc2, i seriously thinking its to do with the b20 in it... replaced the driver side cv for the 4th time now fml