PDA

View Full Version : alarm siren and mid pipe question...

UNA91
21-12-2011, 12:54 AM
Hello, new member to ozhonda (i do occasionally read around here but) and a new owner of an ep3 here. :wave:

I'm going to get an alarm installed into my ep3 and it came with a battery backup siren, thing is i want the installation to be hidden/hard to get as you would want with an alarm... but since the battery backup siren needs the key to deactivate it and if it were to go off for some reason, it would be a pain to get to the siren to just stop it right? since it would be somewhat hidden maybe behind the bumper possibly?... :eek:

Also, i have the Apexi N1 catback exhaust and the midpipe seems to sit quite low the the ground. The previous owner seem to had scraped it alot until there are flat spots at the bottom of it. The last thing i want is it to scrape even more until i have an exhaust leak or something. I was wondering where i can purchase a new apexi mid pipe by itself for the ep3? Or should i just get a custom one welded in place? I really like the deep tone of the apexi and don't really want to lose... The car has been lowered on coilovers and i do plan to raise the fronts maybe an inch higher.

Sorry if my questions seem noobish :o

androo
21-12-2011, 02:38 AM
Regarding the alarm, this is exactly what you want - A hard to disarm alarm. The alarm will disarm (stop sounding) once you have acknowledged the alarm using your remote, most of the time this is by pressing the lock button. The key deactivation may be for if you want to turn off the siren completely?

With the exhaust, are you still scraping it as well? If so, changing the exhaust alone will not help. I'm assuming your car is lowered? Either raise the height, or get an exhaust shop to modify your exhaust so it sits higher (shorter hangers, etc). If you want to buy a new Apexi exhaust, try PM'ing some of the traders on here. I'm sure one of them can sort you out. Most exhaust shops are able to order in exhausts for you. Don't go for a muffler you don't want just because it's cheaper or because you don't want to wait a few weeks because you will be unhappy afterwards. It's up to you if you want to get just the muffler or actual cat back for your car. And if you do decide to just get the Apexi muffler and custom piping, then make sure you get madrel bent not press bent.

UNA91
21-12-2011, 09:57 AM
Not sure, but according to the instructions, if I were to disconnect the battery, the siren would go off and will need the key to stop it, and that would be such a hassle for mechanics and stuff :\

I looked under the car and the heatshield and exhaust sits pretty close to the chassis already, I will be raising the fronts by an inch since it seems that the front half of the pipe has taken the most beating. Is it wise to mix parts of the exhaust? Say i keep the apexi muffler and use a buddyclub mid pipe? would they just bolt on? I read somewhere that the DC5 mid pipe will also fit the EP3

thanks!

androo
21-12-2011, 06:27 PM
I'm pretty sure what your manual is trying to tell you, is that if someone broken into your car and the alarm has gone off, and they disconnect the battery, the alarm will continue unless they have the key to turn it off. However, if you have disarmed the car correctly, THEN disconnect the battery, you should have no issues at all.

Regarding exhausts bolting up, I can't confirm this for you. For example, your Apexi muffler might be longer or shorter than the Buddyclub muffler, so it won't bolt on perfectly. Best to replace the exhaust with the correct mid pipe, or get a custom madrel bent exhaust made up to fit. You will save money vs getting another pre-made exhaust then modifying it to fit.

UNA91
21-12-2011, 10:28 PM
I guess it makes sense... i guess i'll have to either source out an apexi mid pipe or consider buying a whole new cat back :(