PDA

View Full Version : Level of Difficulty

slayer22
21-12-2011, 04:26 PM
Before you read this , if you're the type says this has been covered and I should use search then STOP HERE! Press the back button.

If you've decided to keep reading then I'd assume you would want to help/assist.

Hi All,

I am considering a H22A swap into an EG/ED(DIY)

Reason : Rather then spending my money on drinks each weekend I want to invest in something more..self rewarding I guess.

I have minimal knowledge in terms of cars(mechanical) but this is part of the reason why i want to do it myself(gain knowledge). I guess i have to start somewhere.

I wanted to know how difficult it would be, (ie; tools required,money spent,mounts, keep my aircon/power steering)

What needs to be swapped, i've read a through diy guides for b16/b18c on OzHonda but I wanted to clarify before i spend my term deposit away.

This is what i was thinking.

buying something similar to this or eg
http://vic.gumtree.com.au/c-Cars-Vehicles-Motorbikes-Parts-cars-Honda-Civic-1991-Great-little-car-W0QQAdIdZ336447074

and putting say

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Honda-Prelude-H22A-2-2L-I4-VTEC-/120639894765?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c16b2b4ed

(i have no affiliation, just pure examples, no advertising intended).

I have spent the past week just digging through threads etc but still not clear, hence this thread. I do apologise if its been covered.

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?30312-DIY-JDM-B18C-ITR-Engine-Install-in-EG-Civic&

If your input answers/assists me in one way or another then please post(THANK YOU!)

If you're jut trolling and got nothing else better to do then do it elsewhere.

Thanks

Ng

hmetro24
21-12-2011, 08:53 PM
you are saying that you have minimal mechanical experience, so it is gonna be hard. It is not straight swap to an eg. Also it not like B series on eg. you need more parts and time doing this job. Imo if you want to have h22 in eg better do H2b( which is h22 with B series gearbox).
H2b on swapped in eg6 (which come with b16 engine and gearbox)
you will need h2b conversion kit(bseries clutch and fly wheel and keep the gearbox) and h22 engine with some wiring, the rest will be the same.( this would be the easiest and the best)

h22+ prelude gearbox swap on eg: you will need mounts, custom drive shaft, shift linkage. a bit of cutting...

Tools: you need tools , no need for compressor unless you wanna make you life faster
Experience: you need experience
you also need engineer certificate. upgrade brakes and suspensions
Hope that's helpful
Do more research.

dougie_504
21-12-2011, 09:49 PM
I don't know much about the H22 swap but if I were you I would send a PM to 'Benson' who had one previously and was using a B-series GBox. He sure knows his stuff.

slayer22
25-12-2011, 03:06 PM
hmmph so its recommended the b18 is where i should start as its easier to install then the h22A.

impossi13le
25-12-2011, 03:57 PM
i guess you should start off by sourcing yourself out an engine (assuming that you already have a car).
From my experience, the b series engines are a piss easy swap into the EG chassis (piss easy meaning no cutting/welding req)

My opinion says get an eg (hatch or sedan, whatever suits you most) and then get the engine. Try to get a whole conversion package if you can. So thats:
-Motor
-Gearbox (clutch,flywheel,shift linkages, etc)
-all mounts (or you can upgrade to hasport/innovative/hardrace)
-driveshafts
-ecu
-all hoses and vacuum lines and heater pipes and whatever else connected to the engine
-if you intend on using p/s and a/c, use the power steering pump that was originally from the engine, but with a/c, theres some info on these forums about it.

Now if you can, say, get everything from a donor car (ITR or vtir teg or whatever) it would be better, as it would give you less hassles cause all the parts you'd need are basically there.

You also need to pay attention to what year model the engines are and what year model your car is. Correct me if im wrong, but i think all eg's are 0bd1, so if you get a b series engine out of an 0bd1 car (94 integra vtir for example) it should be ok. If say you get an engine out of a 99' typeR integra, it will be 0bd2, so you'd need to get the conversion harness (jdmyard has them).

Other than that, imo, the b series swaps into eg are 99% drag and drop :D
it's because the dc2 and eg engine bays are technically identical :)

goodluck bro!

-Josh