PDA

View Full Version : CIVIC 91 (Nov) - Clutch Problems

XxDizzyxX
21-12-2011, 10:13 PM
Hey Guys! ,

Alright so I've had problems with my clutch in the past. It was the hydraulic system that caused the issue, though I'm quite certain that its not the problem this time. I've tried bleeding the clutch fluid without any success, no its not showing any bubbles and yes the fluid is topped up. I can also see movement on the clutch fork (I think its called the fork, its the one coming out of the engine connecting to the hydraulics). When I push the clutch to the floor.

The problem is that when I push in my clutch to the floor its not letting me change gear. Once its in neutral I can't move it anywhere. I can however turn the car off and change the gears.

Does anyone have any suggestions of how I could troubleshoot this issue?

Thanks OzHonda !

charliebrown
21-12-2011, 10:24 PM
I had the same problem a few weeks ago. Everyone was telling me to bleed the clutch fluid, check CMC for leaks etc. Turns out it was the clutch needed changing, pressure plate collapsed and the clutch wouldn't disengage. (at least i think that's what was wrong, can't remember)

When you turn off the engine you can shift. If you start the car in gear, can you shift out of it?

JPR28610
21-12-2011, 11:46 PM
could be friction plate backwards if you just changed your clutch
worn out clutch or failed pressue plate
check your trans fluid
check bearing

assuming your fork moves the whole way then you wouldnt need to check clutch fluid leaks, slave cylinder etc

hope you find your problem

stndrd
22-12-2011, 10:36 AM
if you live in the s.e suburbs dizzy pm me if you would like me to come and check it out as I helped charliebrown out with his. He had near enough the same symptoms as what you are describing

dougie_504
22-12-2011, 11:25 AM
Just curious what GBox are you using? Didnt think the 91's were hydraulic

IV73CI
22-12-2011, 11:41 AM

x2 ..

88-91 EF/ED engines are cable ... unless the engine was converted to a later model which has hydraulic tranny?

if your gbox is hydro or cable - try adjusting your clutch pedal where it starts to bite more rather than having too much freeplay.

if your clutch pedal feels like u have to push it all the way down to the floor b4 u feel anything then your clutch pedal adjustment is too loose.

adjust and test trial.

stndrd
22-12-2011, 11:46 AM
I would personally be leaning more towards a collapsed clutch or pressure plate. Adjusting your clutch pedal (especially on a hydraulic system) is only to prolong the life of the clutch. If he is struggling to get gears already, adjusting will do nothing

IV73CI
22-12-2011, 12:42 PM
^^^
your half right there

In my previous B16 engine i had a cable box installed in an concerto.

the gears wouldnt go into place due to the clutch pedal was too soft and only started to bite litterally giving me only 2-3cm of biting then the pedal would hit the floor. The clutch cable towards to box needed adjustment too.

after adjusting it fixed the problem.

With hydraulic ..yes it could be pressure plate/forks etc.

but i would try the most easiest and cost free steps to begin with troubleshooting :)

zhong
22-12-2011, 11:50 PM
Maybe you have a broken FORK. Since you have checked your slave/master/pressure, the only thing stopping it from disengaging would be the fork - if it were to be driving normally in the first place.

Use your iphone, and take a photo of it with the flash and inspect for cracks where the ball joint is.. Bit hard to tell, but when you move it - it should be one smooth "slotty" motion not, jiggly wiggly.

Peace.

XxDizzyxX
23-12-2011, 11:03 AM
x2 ..

88-91 EF/ED engines are cable ... unless the engine was converted to a later model which has hydraulic tranny?

if your gbox is hydro or cable - try adjusting your clutch pedal where it starts to bite more rather than having too much freeplay.

if your clutch pedal feels like u have to push it all the way down to the floor b4 u feel anything then your clutch pedal adjustment is too loose.

adjust and test trial.

Its a 91(nov) D16A8 Redbook.com.au (http://redbook.com.au/cars/research/used/details?R=71047&Silo=Spec&Vertical=Car&Ridx=7&eapi=2)

Yes, adjusting the pedal might work. If I put it in gear while the engine is off I can started the car and sort of rev match by changing gears, though the clutch does seem to help a little.

The only thing is that I don't really know how to adjust the master cylinder. I tried turning the rod a few time and it wasn't adjusting the length at all.

@stndrd - Adjusting your clutch pedal (especially on a hydraulic system) is only to prolong the life of the clutch.

As long as it works... its fine :)

stndrd
23-12-2011, 11:07 AM
If your not 100% and you would like me to come check it out, pm me as i'm on holidays next week

hmetro24
23-12-2011, 01:33 PM
try this one, it is similar to old civics press here (http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/transmission/203074-diy-2nd-gear-grind-fix-clutch-adjust.html)
check if it's leaking over there.If it's leaking you should see a little bit of oil.
How does the pedal feels, is it softer than before.

hondapop
26-12-2011, 01:23 PM
Agree with stndrd, pressure plate diaghram collapse is the most likely, meaning the clutch won't release or only partially release. Doesn't take much clutch engagement to prevent gear shifting. If it was a leak in the hydraulics it would be pretty severe and you'd notice the resevoir level dropping quickly. (and a lot of fluid soaking into the carpet).

~Sp33~
29-12-2011, 06:35 PM

EG's where in production in November 91.

hondapop
29-12-2011, 07:58 PM
EG's where in production in November 91.

Honda's model dating is geared to the US market and all new models there have their start date in the previous year's northern summer i.e. models were released in the middle of 1991 and are called the 1992 model. We seemed to get them in November of that previous year.