PDA

View Full Version : Knocking sound from front passenger side wheel area

chrisj92
25-12-2011, 05:37 PM
I've had the knocking nosie coming from the passenger side wheel area when I turn right doesn't happen everytime but most of the time and has happened since I bought the car (1996 Honda Civic Gli Sedan) 4 months ago and I've been trying to get it fixed but nothing seems to work, the tyre was also scraping on the inner wheel arch but I got a new shock and cv shaft on the passenger side yet the sound is still there. But it's not scraping anymore I've taken it to 5 mechanics only 1 knew what the hell they were doing, but they don't know where to go from here I've been told it might be the engine mount/s or the drivers side shock and cv might need doing because one side is brand new and the other size is 15 years old (stock ones) this car also has been in an accident before I got it but I didn't know that at the time of purchase. What other things could cause this.

OMG.JAI xD
25-12-2011, 10:32 PM
First things first mate.

With suspension, anything that knocks means there is excessive clearance. (worn ball joint, split bushes, loose bolts etc)

Always go with the easiest.
Check and tighten all suspension bolts.
One bolt that always gets missed, is the top shock retaining bolt (the one with an allen key slot in the middle)

Once confirmed all is tight and knock is still there move on and find a component that can be moved or play can be felt where there is suppose to be none.

If no component is at fault, then you have to dig quiet deep.

You say the vehicle has been in an accident. That is the biggest concern.

Put the car on a wheel aligner and see what angles are out.
If you said your tyre scrubs, chances are, the chassis has been bent and your suspension does not sit square on the chassis.
This can be seen with excessively off castor or camber (depending on the accident) (too much or too little on the side that has had the accident).
This is a sign of a vehicle that has not been repaired correctly.

Could be a lot of things buddy. Go down a list of checks, and just pray to god youre not at the last box to tick.
Cause that last box involves big work, or writing the car off. (dont mean to scare ya, i doubt youll get to this point)

Let us know how you go.