PDA

View Full Version : dint pullers?

mugen_ctr
28-12-2011, 09:14 AM
Do these actually work and effective? im considering getting one after melbournes freak hail storm, have 2-3 minor dints, but i hate looking at them....

And the dry ice effect, anyone tried it??? lol

blastnpast
28-12-2011, 10:07 AM
Lookin for the same answers also :D

Zilli
28-12-2011, 12:46 PM
Paintless Dent Removal is a really effective way of getting out most dents, give them a shot, its usually about $50 a dent

rhys.l
28-12-2011, 04:09 PM
I got one of the Dent King kits off ebay. Cost me like $8. It did work but it took a number of goes and a lot of patience. Even then it didn't produce perfects results, but definitely a dramatic improvement.

mugen_ctr
28-12-2011, 04:22 PM
Paintless Dent Removal is a really effective way of getting out most dents, give them a shot, its usually about $50 a dent

Was considering it, but at 50 bucks a pot times it by 3-4 dints, works out alot lol, well for me it does

I got one of the Dent King kits off ebay. Cost me like $8. It did work but it took a number of goes and a lot of patience. Even then it didn't produce perfects results, but definitely a dramatic improvement.

Yeah cheers man, i might try ebay an see what happens :)

blastnpast
29-12-2011, 06:12 AM
@ mugen let me know your results :) I only have small as dents lol not sure if they are worth pulling

androo
29-12-2011, 07:05 AM
I got a whole bunch of dents pulled from my car from my car in Sydney for really cheap. PM me if you guys want details.

To the OP, make sure when you call them try to sus out what they actually do. A lot of them use similar tools like the Dent King tools. These are not 100% effective (and let's be honest, they're making $50 a dent on a tool that costs at most $50).

The good ones will go to the back of your panel and 'massage' the dent out. My car is now completely dent free for a really reasonable price! I actually went there with 4 parking lot door dents. He ended up finding 21 dents so don't be surprised if they find a fair few more (all very minor and faint).

xenonkuraz
29-12-2011, 11:09 AM
Anyone got info on the heat/cooling method of 'popping' out dents?

My jazz got hit with about 50 dents in the hailstorm

Johnie
29-12-2011, 11:18 PM

Ouch 50 dints, i think i got over 10 on mine, most is on the bonnet so i could just replace the bonnet to save the dint troubles

bloodviper
30-12-2011, 12:23 AM
i use to do quoting for hail damged cars a few years ago i had a accord com in it had over 100 dents on the roof and 50 on the bonnet all up had about 500 dents we reskind the doors and roof but got new bonnet and gaurds and we paintlessed the rest

mugen_ctr
30-12-2011, 12:28 AM

that sucks man, i was lucky to find a tree an duck for cover LOL....

But the fact that we copped hail damage is gay!

I mite try the dry ice trick wen im free.... intense cooling than with a slow warm up should be enough to expand the metal so it pops out the dint, i so i hope LOL

Setanta
31-12-2011, 10:13 AM
I just spent $300 on paintless getting my DC2R absolutely 100% straight. There's no way that an ebay tool would have done it, it's not the tool, it's the skill involved. Usually they charge per panel, not by dent. The result was so damn good my E30 BMW and the missus' EK are going in too. There's no way I'd even try to do the work that trained professionals do and I don't begrudge them the labour charges at all.

Downside: I'm even more paranoid about taking the ITR out nowadays :D

anzai
31-12-2011, 10:51 AM
i got mine done a few months ago, the guy is a legend, very friendly and only charges $100 per panel (well a few months ago). no bs guy, if he reckons he won't get a dent fixed 100% he will tell you before you proceed.

he comes to you as well so all you need is a garage

give him a ring:

Mr. Dent provides the best paintless on-site Dent Repair service in Melbourne.
I have been servicing many prestige dealerships for 20 years and am more than happy to service your vehicle.

If you would like to contact me, you can by calling 0418 538 117

Thankyou,

Vincent Veltre

last time i had to meet him at a porsche dealership for a quote where he was working on some cars lol

mugen_ctr
31-12-2011, 11:15 AM
i got mine done a few months ago, the guy is a legend, very friendly and only charges $100 per panel (well a few months ago). no bs guy, if he reckons he won't get a dent fixed 100% he will tell you before you proceed.

he comes to you as well so all you need is a garage

give him a ring:

last time i had to meet him at a porsche dealership for a quote where he was working on some cars lol

thanks heaps igor, i will after the new year, 100 bucks a panel isnt bad pricing as well, i dont mind paying that much if its per panel, especially if its the roof

1900-hustler
31-12-2011, 01:02 PM
guys its not per dent its per panel !

and no they dont use those dent pullers from ebay

depending on the type of dent (shallow, sharp, angled etc) they will either use a dent puller or take off your door trim and gently hit it out..

if you really want to get it done properly get in contact with a mobile dent removalist or take it to a panel shop

if you want to do a dodgy half arse job get that ebay one lol

aaronng
31-12-2011, 02:04 PM
Paintless dent removal is the way to go if the guy can get access to the rear of the panel. You should see the youtube video of the one where they threw a bowling ball at the porsche and then fixed it back up using paintless dent removal techniques.

rhys.l
31-12-2011, 04:19 PM
I guess it pays to shop around. The one paintless dent removal place I called quoted me $90 per dent (not per panel). I went the ebay option and got the dents 90% for $8. I was more than happy with this.

Having said that, if you have alot of dents (like hail damage) the Dent King system won't be the way to go. You will run out of glue and it will take absolutely forever

bloodviper
01-01-2012, 08:56 AM
i have never seen the dry ice method done till i watched a youtube clip looking in to sum dry ice atm failing that i am gonna buy a proper paint less dent kit got a few mate that need dents removed so i can pay it of quick

manolii
01-01-2012, 09:57 AM
Do these actually work and effective? im considering getting one after melbournes freak hail storm, have 2-3 minor dints, but i hate looking at them....

And the dry ice effect, anyone tried it??? lol

Try doing a search its been discussed a few times. Some of the guys who have been through it can give yu hand if yu message them

Indie
01-01-2012, 11:20 PM
What's with people calling them 'dints'? It's a 'dent', and indentation.

anzai
01-01-2012, 11:38 PM
http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/file.php?40,file=37269,filename=spelling_police.jp g

mugen_ctr
02-01-2012, 12:25 AM
What's with people calling them 'dints'? It's a 'dent', and indentation.

ROFL bad engrish......

mugen_ctr
02-01-2012, 12:27 AM
But seriously, ive tried few methods already, an none have worked, so guess im just gonna have to call around an see whats worth the money, because ive known few ppl who have been stuffed around with dent repairs

Bludger
02-01-2012, 12:55 AM
I got a whole bunch of dents pulled from my car from my car in Sydney for really cheap. PM me if you guys want details.

To the OP, make sure when you call them try to sus out what they actually do. A lot of them use similar tools like the Dent King tools. These are not 100% effective (and let's be honest, they're making $50 a dent on a tool that costs at most $50).

The good ones will go to the back of your panel and 'massage' the dent out. My car is now completely dent free for a really reasonable price! I actually went there with 4 parking lot door dents. He ended up finding 21 dents so don't be surprised if they find a fair few more (all very minor and faint).
Tell me more.

keen for details too.

they do a quality job>?

Bludger
02-01-2012, 12:55 AM
http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/file.php?40,file=37269,filename=spelling_police.jp g
he is right.

bloodviper
02-01-2012, 04:16 AM
action dent are pretty good

chauster
03-01-2012, 11:53 AM
paintless dent removal is probably best if you dont want to repaint.

Lots of places from factory, ie lambo, audi, vw, renault, if the car has a dint they will get the dent removers to fix it.

i wish you luck

Setanta
05-01-2012, 06:16 PM

The Spelling Police may need to go back to school:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/dint

Definition of DINT

archaic : blow (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/blow), stroke (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/stroke)

: force (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/force), power (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/power)

: 2dent (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/dent%5B2%5D)

— by dint of : by force of : because of (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/because+of) <succeeded by dint of hard work>

http://www.merriam-webster.com/styles/default/images/reference/external.jpg See dint defined for English-language learners » (http://www.learnersdictionary.com/search/dint)

See dint defined for kids » (http://www.wordcentral.com/cgi-bin/student?book=Student&va=dint)

Examples of DINT

<left a small dint in the car's fender>

Origin of DINT

Middle English, from Old English dynt; akin to Old Norse dyntr noiseFirst Known Use: before 12th century

HTH :)

RAD
06-01-2012, 09:32 PM
By trade i'm a Paintless Dent Removalist, so let me clear the air on what works, and what doesn't.

- Dry ice will do NOTHING on any dent, period. It might contract the dent, but it will expand when the panel goes back to room temp. Same for heating them, and cooling them, actually you might even fracture the paint due to the extreme change in temp. And they don't just "pop out" either, otherwise i'd be out of a job.
"Tapping out" dents will leave them lumpy, or break the paint. As mentioned, we simply massage them out from the rear of the panel.

- Ding king pullers are an ancient version of our Mini lifter glue pullers. It might make small dents look "better", but it's all too easy for inexperienced people to pull off chunks of paint, volcano the dents, leave them high, or "oil can" large dents that are stretched, and need to be shrunk.

- Per dent, or per panel pricing is a joke. It only applies to carpark dings and minor dents, and is used by car dealers to get low prices on repairs in exchange for offering a volume of work, and the standard of work is pretty low.
Since they don't expect good work, they attract the guys who can't do good work, or are unrealiable, and can only offer low prices. Do you really want the cheapest guy in town working on your car?
If you've got 50 dents on your roof, and he's gotta pull down the headliner for an hour to get to them, you think he's gonna spend more than a rushed hour working the dents for that $100?
Similar story for panel beaters, they usually want the work done cheap by cheap guys, and mark up anywhere from 30-75% on our prices.

Even if you have to do it in stages, or even a panel at a time, do it right. Would doubt that any of us would have a problem doing it this way.

mugen_ctr
07-01-2012, 01:14 AM
By trade i'm a Paintless Dent Removalist, so let me clear the air on what works, and what doesn't.

- Dry ice will do NOTHING on any dent, period. It might contract the dent, but it will expand when the panel goes back to room temp. Same for heating them, and cooling them, actually you might even fracture the paint due to the extreme change in temp. And they don't just "pop out" either, otherwise i'd be out of a job.
"Tapping out" dents will leave them lumpy, or break the paint. As mentioned, we simply massage them out from the rear of the panel.

- Ding king pullers are an ancient version of our Mini lifter glue pullers. It might make small dents look "better", but it's all too easy for inexperienced people to pull off chunks of paint, volcano the dents, leave them high, or "oil can" large dents that are stretched, and need to be shrunk.

- Per dent, or per panel pricing is a joke. It only applies to carpark dings and minor dents, and is used by car dealers to get low prices on repairs in exchange for offering a volume of work, and the standard of work is pretty low.
Since they don't expect good work, they attract the guys who can't do good work, or are unrealiable, and can only offer low prices. Do you really want the cheapest guy in town working on your car?
If you've got 50 dents on your roof, and he's gotta pull down the headliner for an hour to get to them, you think he's gonna spend more than a rushed hour working the dents for that $100?
Similar story for panel beaters, they usually want the work done cheap by cheap guys, and mark up anywhere from 30-75% on our prices.

Even if you have to do it in stages, or even a panel at a time, do it right. Would doubt that any of us would have a problem doing it this way.

cheers man, so really the only solution for any dent removal is to massage em from the rear ? :S

and can u only pay for removal of certain dents? I only wanna remove the roof ones, as the bonnet ones are gonna be costly, and id rather jus outsource a new one an do a respray ontop to match my oem color

RAD
07-01-2012, 06:19 PM
It's not the only solution, but it's a big risk with anything 15yrs or older, re-sprayed cars, or CL7's and newer. Despite making thousands of successful repairs using glue-based dent pullers, i've pulled paint off CD, CL7, CL9 euro accords. No problem on civic's, although for eg/ek's it's still a risk.
And as i said, for large dent's that stretch the metal, glue takes FAR too long to repair.

As for doing panels, i doubt anyone would have much of a drama to do a single panel. In fact when i get young guy's who don't wanna spend much (commo owners usually), i send them off to the wreckers, and to call me back for the roof and whatever panels they can't find.

type_AHH
08-01-2012, 03:03 AM
I'm guessing the roof dents are the most difficult to fix because its hard to reach behind and massage the dent out?

aaronng
08-01-2012, 07:40 AM
I'm guessing the roof dents are the most difficult to fix because its hard to reach behind and massage the dent out?

No it's not, you pull the roof liner off from the inside to get access. Dents just above the bonnet's reinforcement ribs are troublesome as you are blocked access.

pablos8
08-01-2012, 07:49 AM
If you're in Sydney contact dent blackmagic and they'll do really good paintless dent removal for you.

They just sent alot of staff to melbourne to take on over 2500 claims lol

RAD
08-01-2012, 03:33 PM
Roof's with sunroofs, especially BMW X5 and Accord/Euro's are horrible due to the maze of bracing underneath to hold the sunroof cassette up. An Accord/Euro roof with dents at the back of the roof may need the rear window replaced!

Generally reinforcement ribs/bracing are OK to work around, as long as their not Merc/Holden which use rock solid glue to hold it to the outer skin. Worst area's are always panel edges, towards the nose of bonnets, door tops near the glass, cant rails and rear of hatchback/sedans. But every car is different.

If dent black magic has 2500 cars to do, they'll be working 16hr days til their finished, you'll have to be patient til then.

type_AHH
15-01-2012, 03:43 AM
By trade i'm a Paintless Dent Removalist,

Are you a mobile service?

I've got a few roof dents that are annoying the hell out of me lol. Luckily they're pretty small and shallow.

Indie
15-01-2012, 05:55 AM
http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/file.php?40,file=37269,filename=spelling_police.jp gNothing to do with 'spelling' when I'm talking about two different words with different pronunciations, champ.

mugen_ctr
16-01-2012, 01:30 AM
No it's not, you pull the roof liner off from the inside to get access. Dents just above the bonnet's reinforcement ribs are troublesome as you are blocked access.

thats the thing, since ive got over 6-8 little dents on the bonnet, is it really worth the hassle to get them pulled out? considering that they have to pull apart the bonnet, and i have no idea if the ek bonnets are riveted on or glued...

mugen_ctr
16-01-2012, 01:36 AM
Roof's with sunroofs, especially BMW X5 and Accord/Euro's are horrible due to the maze of bracing underneath to hold the sunroof cassette up. An Accord/Euro roof with dents at the back of the roof may need the rear window replaced!

Generally reinforcement ribs/bracing are OK to work around, as long as their not Merc/Holden which use rock solid glue to hold it to the outer skin. Worst area's are always panel edges, towards the nose of bonnets, door tops near the glass, cant rails and rear of hatchback/sedans. But every car is different.

If dent black magic has 2500 cars to do, they'll be working 16hr days til their finished, you'll have to be patient til then.

dangz! i have noticed a dent also towards the rear upper section on my coupe, near the rear window, it seems only real way would be to body fill and paint over to a smooth finish, but im skeptical on body fill :/

RAD
16-01-2012, 11:21 PM
Are you a mobile service?

I've got a few roof dents that are annoying the hell out of me lol. Luckily they're pretty small and shallow.

Mobile, and after hours. All i'd need is a shaded area like a carport/garage, and neighbors who won't complain if tapping down on the panel is necessary.

thats the thing, since ive got over 6-8 little dents on the bonnet, is it really worth the hassle to get them pulled out? considering that they have to pull apart the bonnet, and i have no idea if the ek bonnets are riveted on or glued...

The outer skin is only glued to the inner bracing, accessing it is a 5min job with the right removal tools.

dangz! i have noticed a dent also towards the rear upper section on my coupe, near the rear window, it seems only real way would be to body fill and paint over to a smooth finish, but im skeptical on body fill :/

For one dent, do you really want a bog ring and mismatched paint? Just find a professional online, and get them to have a look at it sometime. And by professional, i don't mean the guy on gumtree promising to be the cheapest in town.

EKVTIR-T
16-01-2012, 11:31 PM
Spot weld dent pullers then respray

http://www.manxgallery.org/gallery/albums/album568/Nov3_dent_pullers.sized.jpg

Setanta
17-01-2012, 12:18 AM

Go to a dent removal place and see - you'd be amazed at what some can do.

mugen_ctr
17-01-2012, 12:26 AM
cheers guys, will start getting quotes soon... starting to get tired-some of waking up and seeing a dent and not having straight panels :/

mocchi
17-01-2012, 01:44 PM
Spot weld dent pullers then respray

http://www.manxgallery.org/gallery/albums/album568/Nov3_dent_pullers.sized.jpg

fark thats good idea

RAD
17-01-2012, 10:00 PM
fark thats good idea

Not when you're welding millimeters away from 4sqm of headliner.