PDA

View Full Version : CVT-7 which mode is best accelerating

racinghonda
23-02-2005, 07:38 AM
Which mode is the quickest? If I want to take off real quick I put it in CVT S mode. I figured this mode just keeps the motor at or near peak power for the best acceleration and no power interuption.

icejazz
23-02-2005, 08:32 AM
Hi,
for overtaking I always put it in "S" and floor it. Recently I have tried flicking it to manual mode and flooring it and I think the pickup could be even better as there is no delay initially. In "S'" mode it feels like there is a slight delay as the revs build. There may be a difference between high speed overtaking and slow speed overtaking I am not sure. I would be interested in hearing what other people think is best for overtaking with the CVT.

cheers.

ahcash
23-02-2005, 09:06 AM
Personally, the manual mode with paddle shift works better for me as I can control when to change gear and rev a little bit higher for the VTEC to kick it There is where the power is... IMO. :p

racinghonda
23-02-2005, 12:55 PM
Vtec kicking in? I didn't know there was a hi-cam mode in the L15A? Thought it was just a switching mechanism to go between 3valve and 4 valve mode?

Andys
23-02-2005, 01:17 PM
Well if someone would bring their Jazz to the trackday tomorrow

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15494

We can find out side by side down the straight which is faster :D

- Andrew

ahcash
23-02-2005, 01:40 PM
VTEC http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7659

MRFIT
23-02-2005, 11:26 PM
I feel the car sounds/feels different after 5000rpm..... I thought that's where the VTEC kick in point is......

one more chance
24-02-2005, 02:24 AM
lol@jazz accelerating!

ahcash
24-02-2005, 07:50 AM
lol@jazz accelerating!

What is that suppose to mean ???

civiceg9
24-02-2005, 08:04 AM
can't feel a thing when the VTEC is on in a Jazz.
I think the new VTEC focus more on saving fuel rather then out right power.

racinghonda
24-02-2005, 08:10 AM
can't feel a thing when the VTEC is on in a Jazz.
I think the new VTEC focus more on saving fuel rather then out right power.

I think you're right, I think that the Vtec in the Jazz is not the high stepping cam ones you see in the hi-po DOHC vtec engines. I have a feeling that it is designed to switch the engine between 12valve and 16valve mode. When cruising at low RPM it only opens the 2 exhaust and 1 intake valve to promote combustion swirl which in turns aids in the combution is very lean fuel mixtures. It also increases the air velocity and thus torque. Its hard to find technical info on the L15A. But its just the feeling I have as Honda has done this alot in the pass with its SOHC Vtec motors. Its a different beast to the DOHC vtec engines which have hi-cam (eg H22a, B18C, B16A etc)

Dreams
24-02-2005, 11:23 AM
"I think" is not good enough.

racinghonda
25-02-2005, 10:02 AM
"I think" is not good enough.

Dude, I'm not knocking the Jazz, I have one as my daily driver (VTi CVT-7) and I love it. Just that there is no big shove in the back when Vtec switches over, leading me to think that Vtec is responsible for me averaging 6L/100kms :D

ahcash
25-02-2005, 10:10 AM
I think there have been some debate about the VTEC in other threads.. Personally, I can feel that the Jazz has more juice above 3500rpm. I don't think I can feel the sudden kick like other DOHC VTECs but I assume it is engaged.. Have not push it as hard yet, the car is still running in.

muli
25-02-2005, 02:42 PM
with aircon on full blast its easier to spot vtec engagement, as it suddently gets more urge to accelerate. But with aircon off its quite hard to spot it or hear it.

http://www.honda.com.au/jazz/vti-s/=technology/powertrain.htm

terris08
05-03-2005, 02:30 PM
But if we use the switch mode, we have to change gear very often otherwise computer will change it for you....Can't even reach 3500 rpm....

If we want to overtake, can we simply switch from D to S? I thought we can only do that change while the car is stopped.....??

|N|
05-03-2005, 02:39 PM
But if we use the switch mode, we have to change gear very often otherwise computer will change it for you....Can't even reach 3500 rpm....

If we want to overtake, can we simply switch from D to S? I thought we can only do that change while the car is stopped.....??

u can change from D to S anytime... and if u just switch manual mode without touching the + and - it ll just be like normal auto gear change with 7 speed mode...

spoon fit
05-03-2005, 02:40 PM

i don't think so

ahcash
05-03-2005, 09:48 PM
Can change to 'S' mode anytime...

Something to share with you guys.. I like driving in 'S' mode with manual shift.. but this morning I changed to 'S' mode but didn't engaged the manual shift, so it changes gear automatically.. I was going uphill (slight) and accelerating on 2nd gear, for some reason, when I accelerate, it decided to rev all the way to 4500rpm before it changes to 3rd gear at about 80km/h and straight away 4th gear ... pretty smart I reckon, it can feel it needed power uphill and rev higher ... Anyone has similiar experience?

quizery
06-03-2005, 03:15 PM
Vtec on Jazz is on 5500 RPM.... U will notice the SPEEDOMETER will be running fast... and engine sound and exhaust change and your handling started to become stiff

spoon fit
06-03-2005, 07:16 PM
Vtec on Jazz is on 5500 RPM.... U will notice the SPEEDOMETER will be running fast... and engine sound and exhaust change and your handling started to become stiff

ur B18C type s jazz same as our jazz? :rolleyes:

Nope Type S is 1.8 L DOHC VTEC engine (arround 127-130KW)

They body IS different as VTI-s but the engine is different .... VTI-S (SOHC 1.5 VTEC (89kw)) ........ and TYPE S is 1.8L DOHC VTECH (127-130KW)

I USING 98 RON Petrol :( and sumtimes I use 102 RON PETROL (102 petrol = 98 RON + Nitrous Liquid Formula it give 4 octane more, and make the RON 98 into 102 RON)

TYPE S front and rear brake is DISC BRAKE , as current Jazz (disc and drum)

Inside is recaro sport seat, Momo Steering wheels and Momo 17"

ASK your honda dealer... is cost around $37k + dealer

Andys
06-03-2005, 10:50 PM

I don't know where you can get this from. I think you are completely wrong.

"the VTEC changeover point .. varies depending on the throttle position. The change points are 2,300rpm for full throttle and 3,400rpm if partial throttle."

http://asia.vtec.net/Reviews/VTECCityPrev/

Anyhow, Now that I have tested my car at Wakefield Park, the best mode for acceleration in a straight line is simply to plant your foot to the floor on the throttle, and turn off manual mode once you get over 5000 rpm and let the car do the rest.
Using this method, my friend in a Renault Clio Sport (who got a much better lap time than me) was unable to catch me down the main straight.

- Andrew

terris08
09-03-2005, 06:43 PM
So that means even we are travelling at 60, 70 or even 100 km/h, we can still switch from D to S mode when we want it to go even faster??

Andys
10-03-2005, 08:20 AM
If you want to go fast in the jazz at any speed just pop it 'S' mode while putting your foot to the floor on the accelerator.

You can go to 'S' and 'L' mode at any speed, it doesn't break anything.

racinghonda
10-03-2005, 08:24 AM
What I don't like is that it is very easy to accidentally pop it into N if you're shifting from S to D. I tend to flick it into S quite a bit when i need a squirt of acceleration and then pop it back into D for smoother and more economical cruising. And when you knock it back into D, its easy to push the lever too far and go into N.

Also, has anyone noticed that if the car is in N and you're stationary, it doesn't let you rev past 5k?

Andys
10-03-2005, 08:31 AM
What I don't like is that it is very easy to accidentally pop it into N if you're shifting from S to D.

It works almost as well to simply floor it - it kicks the revs up as quick as using "S" mode. I agree though, there should be more tactile feedback in the gearstick to let you slip between L/S/D easier then D/N

Also, has anyone noticed that if the car is in N and you're stationary, it doesn't let you rev past 5k?

Yes! Hahah..thought I had broken something but it must be an ECU thing. Perhaps to protect the transmission unit? Since in the jazz, the clutch is after the tranny (not between the tranny and the engine).

- Andrew

terris08
12-03-2005, 11:12 AM
If you want to go fast in the jazz at any speed just pop it 'S' mode while putting your foot to the floor on the accelerator.

You can go to 'S' and 'L' mode at any speed, it doesn't break anything.

Really? Because I sometimes change it from D to S for more engine braking to help slowing down the car quicker.

Andys
12-03-2005, 09:31 PM
Really? Because I sometimes change it from D to S for more engine braking to help slowing down the car quicker.

Break vs Brake. I said it doesn't BREAK anything. Yes, it does engine BRAKE.

:rolleyes:

uetecu
02-06-2005, 02:40 PM
What I don't like is that it is very easy to accidentally pop it into N if you're shifting from S to D. I tend to flick it into S quite a bit when i need a squirt of acceleration and then pop it back into D for smoother and more economical cruising. And when you knock it back into D, its easy to push the lever too far and go into N.

guys im confused.
Why is there a need to 'shift' from D to S?
i thought there is button on the steering wheel that changes the CVT mode?

Andys
02-06-2005, 02:46 PM
Why is there a need to 'shift' from D to S?
i thought there is button on the steering wheel that changes the CVT mode?

The steering wheel buttons are for changing from smooth continous auto shifting to 7 speed auto/manual shifting.

The D/S/L setting is to choose, in auto mode, how much engine revving and engine braking you want. D is the most economical, in S the revs sit pretty high even when you aren't accelerating. In S and L mode, the revs shoot up fast when you hit the throttle.

D vs. S is irrelevant when you are in 7 speed manual mode. L doesn't let you even go into 7 speed mode at all.

- Andrew

swat
06-08-2005, 02:22 AM
but every time u press that"steering wheel buttons " u will find out it move at least on gear down automatic and more like to end up with a higher rev......