PDA

View Full Version : Help please ...CD5 - H22a Swap - Not starting

Gojira94
30-12-2011, 08:37 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum and have used it to do a alot of research into the CD5 f22b to H22a swap H22a accords post has been gold.

However i have spent a week completing the transplant, engine, loom mods, manual tensioner conversion, new cambelt, water pump, leads,plugs, all the best practice stuff.

and the last 4 days I have spent trying to start the M.R.S.E...

Car is a CD5 1996 (australian new) old engine was an f22b
new motor H22a
Dials on head indicate 1/96 engine build
distributor reads TD6ou
ecu p13
have added the the IAB/Knock/EGR loom
have moved the 02 sensor as per h22a accord instructions

I have checked the following;
Timing belt - Perfect
Leads- TDC - Perfect
Cam timing - Perfect
Injectors - Fuelling in to cylinder
Spark - Has it
Fuel pump - alive and priming
ECU Codes - ELD - which should not effect the starting i believe

Only thing my mate and i have noticed is that the spark does not seem to time properly, we put a timing light on and the light does not light up every time the flywheel hits TDC, which is telling us that the distributor signalling is out ?!?
or the leads but the leads are set up as per manual.

So can anyone confirm if i possibly have the wrong distributor ? or what distributor i should have.

I'm honestly at wits end, we have tried 2 distributors, 2 sets of injectors, 2 x looms, 2x ecu's, and the problem is still the same .....

any help please .....

regards

Laurie

ceedeefive
01-01-2012, 11:28 AM
make sure at TDC the distributers rotor is pointing to number one, sounds like your timing might be 180 deg out,

Banana_hammock
01-01-2012, 09:07 PM
Ceedeefive has a valid point. Try turning your distributor 180 deg. That should fix the problem. I had a similar issue when I did a head swap for a D series: Your timing will not be right and it won't fire in the right order. Also, if you've been trying to kick it over a few times, then pull the spark plugs out and check them. They might be soaked in fuel and not be able to spark at all. My suggestion is to keep a spare set of spark plugs so you can change them once the timing has been fixed.

jdm_b16a
02-01-2012, 06:32 AM
As above but also check the internals of the ECU. Open it up and make sure everything is kosher. You could also check the leads for continuity with a multimeter.

But from what you say sounds like the above advice should sort out your problem (even though it should be the same as other Honda engines in that you can't put the distributor in incorrectly due to the notch on the inside of the shaft on the distributor (or is the Accord different??)

The ELD is a Jap thing - Electronic Load Detector - and on my B16A Civic swap I noticed the Aust delivered EG/EH didn't have it, resulting in a warning light on the dash and the engine sporadically "hunting" when in idle.

Peter

ceedeefive
02-01-2012, 03:52 PM
you wont be able to turn the distributer 180 degrees as the cam tab wont line up, i ment make sure your actual timing isnt 180 out. also double check your firing order is right.

and the ELD wont give you any dramas, the ecu will forget about it, mine has, took awhile but i dont get the code anymore, i didnt get any idle dramas with mine,

Gojira94
11-01-2012, 12:32 AM
Hi guys, thanks for all the useful tips, i ended up trying a mates dizzy and it fired up straight away !!! Turns out the coil was buggered!!!?!?!?! I have never known a coil to throw spark, but not enough!!?!! I always thought that like ignitors they were either on or off ....now to try and get the cost reimbursed from the engine importer .... Thanks again for your help