PDA

View Full Version : Enough of that A/C "new" 134A gas

EDCivic
30-12-2011, 09:29 PM
Our low pressure switch died approx 2 years ago and as part of the fix it had to be re-gassed with R134A. Since then (and it never ever did it before in the 12 years we have owned it) it now makes this very very annoying and concerning rattling sound from the compressor when the revs are approx 1,000 RPM or below ! Please give me R12 !!!! Any hints/tips/(Adelaide) connections ??? If someone has some discreetness is assured :cool: Else how do you stop it as the old ED is still in very good nick.

grifty
30-12-2011, 11:07 PM
I had the same problem in my old concerto, only way to fix it is to replace the compressor.

EDCivic
31-12-2011, 01:14 PM
I had the same problem in my old concerto, only way to fix it is to replace the compressor.Old gas or an equivalent would be so much simpler. Is there a model of Honda/Civic that has a R134a A/C compressor that would basically bolt straight in ???

grifty
31-12-2011, 01:28 PM
Your best bet would be to get a 2nd hand one or a reconditioned one. When the type of gas is changed its not the compressor that is effected. When the system is changed from R12 to R134A the reciever/dryer needs to be changed, the seals need to be changed through out the system because of the different type of oil, different type of oil needs to be used and the system needs to be vacuumed to get rid of the old oil.

ECU-MAN
31-12-2011, 04:10 PM
its overgassed

EDCivic
31-12-2011, 04:42 PM
When we had fixed this was all supposedly done. Someone told me it's the gas that is the issue i.e. it is lighter than R12 and so at revs below 1,000 it doesn't compress as well and so "rattles". Anything above it and it's fine. Regarding it being over gassed I did think that but never had it checked out because of all of the other possibilities including the compressor being worn out, bent vanes etc. I'll book it in to have it pressure tested next week and fingers crossed it is over gassed (that would be a less of a headache) and thanks to all !

EDCivic
22-01-2012, 07:24 PM
its overgassed

So if it's over gassed, would decreasing it enough to quieten the rattle severely degrade the cooling efficiency i.e. am I stuck between a rock and a rattly compressor?

ECU-MAN
24-01-2012, 12:22 PM
having the gas level set corectly should have no negative inpact on the AC performance. with the dials connected the gas pressures can be monitored to determin corect operation.

do you get bubles in the sight glass while the compressor is running ?