PDA

View Full Version : B20 vtec engine question?

vtec_yoo
04-01-2012, 01:06 AM
Hi guys, my names Anthony im new to ozhonda and basically a noob with cars, have basic knowledge but when it comes to indepth mechanics have no clue. I was looking into buying an ek4 civic with a b16a2. My question is if i buy one that has the kms racked up will putting a b20 bottom end on it involve rebuilding the engine or would i also have to rebuild the engine after fitting the bottom end. ( i would be getting it professionally installed) any recommended shops to be getting this done at would also be great.

I understand there is alot of info on b20 vtecs but im pretty sure such a noob questions doesnt exist...

any help would be much appreciated, Thanks.

Marc_EE9
04-01-2012, 08:10 AM
In my opinion I would have the head 're-built'. the norm is to have a light skim, and have some porting work done, and then obviously have the valve stem seals changed and cam seals replaced. i would only use OE items for engine internals not cheap motor factor copies

but to be honest, many people here in the UK literally bolt a B16 head to a B20 block and have had them running for over 2 years with no issues.

depends on the history of the car and your plan/spec for the engine

Benson
04-01-2012, 08:33 AM
You cant just simply slap on a B20 bottom end. You'll need the bare eseentials to get a B20 working with your B16a head. Vtec conversion kit, ARP rod bolts, B18 timing belt, 23T water pump. You will need someone with experience to assemble the motor as well.

After you the motor 'built', you will need to think about bolt-ons and ecu. Its recommended to upgraded headers, intake and ECU (hondata)

A B20vtec will add up real quick! Make sure you speak to the right people to get the right advice!

Marc_EE9
04-01-2012, 08:45 AM
you can, as people here have but most people who do it themselves have the necessary parts to hand. admittedly that's not the best way to go about it, as you say, new stronger headstuds are required with the h/g and oil line/sandwich plate for the extra oil line.

good luck. :thumbsup:

Banana_hammock
04-01-2012, 11:37 AM
If you have no experience then you'd be better off with a pro handling your engine. As long as they know what they're doing in regards to extra parts and addons. Think about a Hondata ecu too

vtec_yoo
04-01-2012, 02:15 PM
Definately was not going to touch the engine myself.. i know how that would end, and i definately wouldnt be good.. lol anyone recommend any where to go? I was thinking of Toda Au? Im located in sydney btw..

bennjamin
04-01-2012, 02:31 PM
Start with adrian at toda au for advice.