PDA

View Full Version : Traction difference between 225 and 205 tires

spetz
07-01-2012, 08:10 AM
Hi guys,

Assuming all thing equal, how much of a traction advantage would 225 wide tires have over 205 width?
So, same car, same tire (bar width), same sidewall height etc.

Thanks

trism
07-01-2012, 09:02 AM
Well. You can't really measure it. But of course the wider tyre will have more traction.

This is a bit of an odd question...

DakDak
07-01-2012, 10:13 AM
Are you asking same width rim? Like say a 8 inch rim with 205 or 225?

Oz_Striker
07-01-2012, 10:32 AM
Definately depends on what width the rim is

bennjamin
07-01-2012, 10:38 AM
It's like 11% wider...so that's like 11% more grip. Ofcourse there is a million other variables like tyre pressure , sidewall height , tyre compound tyre depth tyre age , car power , car corner weight etc

But a very vague answer to your very vague question is YES. A wider tyre than initial on the same rim will provide more grip

dc2r-0636
07-01-2012, 11:50 AM
yes of course it will give more traction.

what would be widest tyre you could put on a stock 15" dc2r wheel (i believe theyre 6" wide?) would it be 205 or 215..

hondapop
07-01-2012, 12:30 PM
Personally on 6" I wouldn't go any more than 205 (I'm going 205 on 6.5") 'cause you'll lose sidewall stiffness and they'll be a bit "balloony", softer riding maybe but not as good directionally.

spetz
07-01-2012, 09:33 PM
What about in terms of 60ft times, does anyone know if there would be much of a difference?

And why would rim width play such a big role, as for example couldn't both 205 and 225 tires be mounted on 7" rims?

hondapop
07-01-2012, 09:49 PM
Well I guess if 195's can be fitted to 8" rims, 7" shouldn't be a problem. As far as what difference it would make in such a short distance, I guess the proof of the pudding would be in the eating.

dc2r-0636
07-01-2012, 11:03 PM
I pulled a 2.1 60ft with 195/55/15 on toyo r1r

Rayle
08-01-2012, 09:37 PM
Given the same car weight and tyre pressure, a larger tyre width does not mean there will be a larger contact patch with the road. The contact patch will be the same area, but of a different shape, becoming shorter and wider as the width increases.

One of the reasons a wider tyre provides more grip is because since the contact area is shorter, meaning less tyre deformation thus giving less rolling resistance and creating less heat. A round tyre with a 10cm long contact patch will obviously deform more than one with a 5cm long contact patch since the contact patch is in contact with the ground, and therefore flat.

Additionally, the shorter contact area has more time to cool before it is in contact with the ground again. As the rubber heats up, after a certain point its grip will diminish as it gets hotter and hotter. This is another reason why wider tyres can be more grippy.

At the end of the day, though, you'll probably notice a much bigger difference if you just change your tyres to a softer, stickier compound.

You could also decrease your tyre pressure to increase the contact area, but that's a whole 'nother can of worms.

More info can be found at http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible_pg3.html or
http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=102250. There's an interesting post about 3/4 way down the latter link about how wider tyres may provide more grip on the limit, but breakaway much more abruptly than narrower tyres...

hondapop
08-01-2012, 10:14 PM
It seems though that the OP's interest lies in drag racing and not in whether there will be better handling. I think he's hoping that someone will give him their winning formula which they have gone to great lengths and probably expense to prove for their own benefit. Apart from all the variables that have been mentioned by posters to this thread that might affect his own car, the nature of competing and competiveness would probably mean such findings would be closely guarded secrets.

Bludger
08-01-2012, 10:49 PM
do not expect this sort of question from Jan 05' join date.

nov 11' yes, not 05'

spetz
11-01-2012, 08:37 PM
I am devastated that I did not meet your expectations Bludger. You must be a very brilliant individual.

I think it's reasonable to ask if anyone has used both 205 and 225 tires on their car to note the difference they felt.

Oz_Striker
11-01-2012, 08:56 PM
I think it was more directed at the fact that it was such a vague question and lacked basically any surrounding information that we could determine a clear answer from.

hondapop
11-01-2012, 09:25 PM
Doesn't appear that anyone has, otherwise by now they would surely have been forthcoming. You will have to be the first and have the satisfaction and pleasure of letting us all know what it is.

spetz
12-01-2012, 12:08 AM
I won't be able to be the first as I had hoped someone went from 205 to 225 in the same tire. I have 205 tires but if I were to get 225 width it wouldn't be the same tire hence results wouldn't be conclusive.

hondapop
12-01-2012, 09:02 AM
I won't be able to be the first as I had hoped someone went from 205 to 225 in the same tire. I have 205 tires but if I were to get 225 width it wouldn't be the same tire hence results wouldn't be conclusive.

I was actually being a bit sarcastic with my previous comment, but never mind. With this last post you really have answered your own question (I'm assuming you mean you'd be either changing brands or tyre types/compounds) because if anyone else has in fact done the same, their results/findings would be just as inconclusive. The chances of finding the person who has indeed used the same tyre make/type and read your Q would be like winning the lottery. There is only one way you are going to find out and that is to do it yourself, but even if you do, the results will still only apply to your car, your driving skills at launching off the mark, the track conditions at that instant and any number of other variables (as others have pointed out). Nuff said ?

Oz_Striker
12-01-2012, 05:19 PM
There is only one way you are going to find out and that is to do it yourself, but even if you do, the results will still only apply to your car, your driving skills at launching off the mark, the track conditions at that instant and any number of other variables (as others have pointed out). Nuff said ?

Definitely nuff said. Well put Pop lol

quang
12-01-2012, 07:25 PM
spot on with this.

Given the same car weight and tyre pressure, a larger tyre width does not mean there will be a larger contact patch with the road. The contact patch will be the same area, but of a different shape, becoming shorter and wider as the width increases.

One of the reasons a wider tyre provides more grip is because since the contact area is shorter, meaning less tyre deformation thus giving less rolling resistance and creating less heat. A round tyre with a 10cm long contact patch will obviously deform more than one with a 5cm long contact patch since the contact patch is in contact with the ground, and therefore flat.

Additionally, the shorter contact area has more time to cool before it is in contact with the ground again. As the rubber heats up, after a certain point its grip will diminish as it gets hotter and hotter. This is another reason why wider tyres can be more grippy.

At the end of the day, though, you'll probably notice a much bigger difference if you just change your tyres to a softer, stickier compound.

You could also decrease your tyre pressure to increase the contact area, but that's a whole 'nother can of worms.

More info can be found at http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible_pg3.html or
http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=102250. There's an interesting post about 3/4 way down the latter link about how wider tyres may provide more grip on the limit, but breakaway much more abruptly than narrower tyres...

cotties
12-01-2012, 09:21 PM
the biggest variable to the question would be the wheel width cause it pays a vial part.
if has been said numerus times but you still havent indicated what width they are.
for example as pop said on a 6.5" wide wheel a 225 tire is far to wide and the tire buldges out well past the wheel.
and to be honest you will struggle to fit a 225 tire onto a 6.5" wheel.
and again it all comes down too in what context your question is related, i.e you want to increase grip for drags.
where i would say you need flexable sidewalls more than you need sheer surface area. you need a compound suitable for the application etc.
so if you want your question answered correctly why dont you shed some light on the topic so we can all better understand your needs for this question to be answered

egSi
21-01-2012, 12:42 PM
I chucked 225s on my stock Euro instead of 205s ages ago. Looks boss, not sure if there was any benefit beyond that the wider tyres were stickier from the get go.

Its my daily so, its hardly pushed.

androo
21-01-2012, 07:32 PM
I chucked 225s on my stock Euro instead of 205s ages ago. Looks boss, not sure if there was any benefit beyond that the wider tyres were stickier from the get go.

Its my daily so, its hardly pushed.

Same tire as well? Or different brand/spec(besides width) etc?

egSi
22-01-2012, 06:58 AM
^ nah man, i went with stock sized really hard 205 michelins to 225 ku36s (treadwear:180).

sidewall heights were basically the same ratio as to not affect my speedo.