PDA

View Full Version : [b] my steps to my dream ek [/b]

CEEKB5
09-01-2012, 01:58 PM
Hey guys sounds cliche but yes im new to this and 20yo
and should be over the phase BUT all my mates are into the
(i shouldnt say scene) but culture with all there usdm and jdm honda's. Reason why i have joined is because i have no hobby (work,gym & eat). Since my EK1 1997 is probably my love of my life besides family mates and my gf and spend 80% my time in it i might aswell make it my pride and joy.

This thread is my journey to making my dream Ek1
it's my first ligit car, i previously owned a Honda cbr 250r 2011 model and got over it i (purchased it in winter and also it's a single cylinder) so i decided a to get rid of it so found a guy in carsales
that would take a straight swap for a bike and so i did 160,000kms CXI EK 1997.

http://i42.tinypic.com/2z4akur.jpg
My Ek as we speak"

At the moment just has a brand new K&N air filter
and just a system, it's loud due to the silencer
came off the stock exhaust (Sounds Boss though)

I hope you guys could help me source some parts or pitch in some ideas in terms of exterior, interior and performance wise (perf CLEAN SPEC the dirtiest i would go is a black hood but as we speak it's already carbon wrapped).

My targets are for this year is

- Oil change (whats the best oil for a stock EK?)
- Oil filter
- replace Cv Joints
- Kings Springs Super lows (no camber kit or coilovers not yet anyways)
- Reaplce driver side door due to dent/s (ute scrapped while he/she was parking)
- alarm/central locking/keyless entry/auto windows..
- New headers
- HiD's (H7's)
- Exhaust system
- Short shift
- Re spray champion ship white/gun metal grey
- by November a K20 or a B18 engine (once i hit 200k+ km's

So they are my main aim for this year i guess interior will be step by step as for now through out this year.

I want you guys to be part of my project yeah i know sounds Cocky or cheesy...

http://i42.tinypic.com/43ipu.jpg
Cluster replaced with DIY Carbon wrap (just need to change the KM's on it.

mooshie
09-01-2012, 08:16 PM
You must do a lot of driving to go 40000km by November... Hope you are earning a bit cos there is a fair bit of cash you have listed there! (or living at home still...) great to be ambitious though! Welcome, and all I can say is be original, don't justbfollow what everyone else does

hmetro24
09-01-2012, 09:04 PM
1- Do you want a dollar ?
2- Why do you want to make the title BOLD
3-Do not waste money on king springs just go straight to coilover
4-Work on the Handling until November
5-Get a catback when ever you swap the engine
6-save money
7 sAve money
8-SAVE Money
9-Use search, look at the build threads. Look around ozhonda there are too many stuff in here, not happy with that, Google is your friend

Best oil is
http://www.mycouponmeals.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Johnsons-Baby-Oil.jpg

butterfingers
09-01-2012, 09:11 PM
20 isnt too old. age is just a number=]

yeahSCOTTT
09-01-2012, 09:18 PM
Don't worry about the guy above me ozhondas full of assholes. Good luck with the car mate looks like you've got it all planned out :)

butterfingers
09-01-2012, 09:23 PM
im an asshole for encouraging him. cool

yeahSCOTTT
09-01-2012, 09:25 PM
Not you the guy above relax bro

butterfingers
09-01-2012, 09:27 PM
ma bad dawg :)

hmetro24
09-01-2012, 09:27 PM
Not you the guy above relax bro
He is talking about me :), I am what ever he called me.

simmy
09-01-2012, 09:59 PM
Don't worry about the guy above me ozhondas full of assholes. Good luck with the car mate looks like you've got it all planned out :)

http://www.memestick.com/images/MULTIPIC/u%20mad%20bro.jpg

youre better off engine swapping then doing the mods

CEEKB5
10-01-2012, 07:20 AM
ahaha first thing at work is see this and alreaddy burst out laughing thanks guy/s for the advice.

yeah being "original" is not hard but time consuming i guess well wish me luck.

akira
10-01-2012, 07:33 AM
HIDs would be H4 not H7

CEEKB5
10-01-2012, 07:50 AM
HIDs would be H4 not H7

woops my bad you're correct i mean H4's i keep thinking the stock lights atm cause one main light has blown and take a 3 pin H7

have a serious question btw. So i know their's different types of civic like ek1 and ek9 and all
for example i want to wreck from another civic let say for example a "cluster" does it matter if it comes from another civic?
does all series/model fit? to an EK1 ?

manonastick
10-01-2012, 01:20 PM
Its plug n play mate.
All ek clusters will fit in ur car

CEEKB5
10-01-2012, 01:27 PM
even with body kits and all steering wheels?

Alexplicit
10-01-2012, 01:56 PM
good luck with your car !!! dont listen to what everyone says to do, you do whatever is in your price range and whatever you like!

if you come to a point where your stuck on buying something and dont know what to do, have a search on here, if you cant find an answer ask :) this place is full of knowledge!

all you need to do is work out whats the best things to do and in what order! thats where i went a bit wrong i think :P for instance i would get all mechanical things done first then do body work (function over form)

as for your above question, yes all ek series body kits and steering wheels will fit :)

oh and if your in the market for a b series engine im selling a B20Vtec :D

CEEKB5
10-01-2012, 01:59 PM
good luck with your car !!! dont listen to what everyone says to do, you do whatever is in your price range and whatever you like!

if you come to a point where your stuck on buying something and dont know what to do, have a search on here, if you cant find an answer ask :) this place is full of knowledge!

all you need to do is work out whats the best things to do and in what order! thats where i went a bit wrong i think :P for instance i would get all mechanical things done first then do body work (function over form)

as for your above question, yes all ek series body kits and steering wheels will fit :)

oh and if your in the market for a b series engine im selling a B20Vtec :D

finally one of them most descent reply lol price range dosent matter for a 20 year old to be an internal account manager ahaha finance wise is ok i might aswell play with my money with me ek then travel then mortage lol.

how much you selling your b20vtec engine for?

Alexplicit
10-01-2012, 02:08 PM
hahaha sounds good :) ill pm you.

trism
10-01-2012, 02:09 PM
The main thing to remember is that you aren't the first person in the world to ask a question. So if you want to know something, search it on google and the answer will be there.

Hellomotog
10-01-2012, 07:37 PM
man get some springs for 100$ delivered off ebay. they go straight on your stock shocks and there adjustable. what the hell do you want coilovers for sydney roads. save yourself about 500bucks. just pm me for the link. they come from the states off ebay

CEEKB5
10-01-2012, 09:20 PM
man get some springs for 100$ delivered off ebay. they go straight on your stock shocks and there adjustable. what the hell do you want coilovers for sydney roads. save yourself about 500bucks. just pm me for the link. they come from the states off ebay

are you talking about king springs super lows?

hmetro24
10-01-2012, 09:29 PM
are you talking about king springs super lows?

He is talking about some ebay springs.

JPR28610
10-01-2012, 09:41 PM
if finance is no problem, dont waste your time. get coilovers and work on your suspensions since you planning to do a engine conversion.

i made sure i was happy with my suspension before i done my conversion and when i did i was so glad the car was stable and able to pull up alright. made it way more fun to drive around. just my advice :)

Hellomotog
10-01-2012, 09:53 PM
A spring is a spring at the end of the day. King springs are like 400

CEEKB5
11-01-2012, 09:57 AM
btw whats the best suitable engine oil brand for the EK and oil filter?

yeahSCOTTT
11-01-2012, 10:24 AM
Anything 10w40 with a good reputation, I just used the nulon oil that comes in a gold bottle, your filter should be a z79 and don't get a cheap filter

CEEKB5
11-01-2012, 10:45 AM
yeah wouldnt get a cheap filter im more quality then quantity gonna grab some on saturday to do the oil change and the filter then getting a mugen lip for front and rear.

senna
11-01-2012, 11:15 AM
A spring is a spring at the end of the day. King springs are like 400

This is sooo not true! On both accounts...

CEEKB5
11-01-2012, 11:17 AM
This is sooo not true! On both accounts...

explain so i know why and go from there lol.

senna
11-01-2012, 11:27 AM
For starters Kings are not "like $400" Full RRP is around $360 but no one in sydney will sell them for that...expect around 300 for a high quality Australian made coil that comes with a lifetime warranty..

Have a read of this thread for some good suspension advice:

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?158803-How-much-does-a-rear-sway-bar-help

Covers the big points and gives you a few different options to look at!

JPR28610
11-01-2012, 12:16 PM
and if hes opting for an engine conversion, it would be a wiser idea to get a decent set of coilovers. you'd want better handing to cope with the extra power. you would also be able to adjust your height to your liking. and plus king springs will quickly stuff your oem shocks.

senna
11-01-2012, 12:33 PM
Yeah with the engine swap the coilovers have the advantage.

At 160,xxx k's the standard shocks are basically stuffed already...

Hellomotog
11-01-2012, 01:11 PM
For starters Kings are not "like $400" Full RRP is around $360 but no one in sydney will sell them for that...expect around 300 for a high quality Australian made coil that comes with a lifetime warranty..

Have a read of this thread for some good suspension advice:

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?158803-How-much-does-a-rear-sway-bar-help

Covers the big points and gives you a few different options to look at!

please show me where i can get king springs for 300$ all 4 of them.

Hellomotog
11-01-2012, 01:12 PM
how much do you guys think you can pickup a good set of coil overs for.

senna
11-01-2012, 01:19 PM
please show me where i can get king springs for 300$ all 4 of them.

Since i'm not a sponsor/advertiser here i won't post any of my company details, but here is the first result you get when you type in "King Springs EK Civic" on Ebay

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FRONT-AND-REAR-HONDA-CIVIC-EJ-EK-KING-SPRINGS-SUPER-LOW-/220919997798?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item336fdba566#ht_563wt_698

JPR28610
11-01-2012, 01:40 PM
heres a set of skunk2 coilovers

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SKUNK2-92-00-Civic-Del-Sol-Sport-Shocks-Coilovers-EG-EK-/370460254864?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item564126e290

if your are willing to wait, get your coilovers over the net from the states. youll save a few hundred bucks

butterfingers
11-01-2012, 06:51 PM
Hook us up with a job yea

sebtoombs
11-01-2012, 07:53 PM
I recently got the BC Racing type BR coilovers. I've done about 1000km on them, and I'm quite impressed. I held off for a while, because I couldn't find any information regarding the lifespan of these units (they are, as far as I know made in Taiwan, but mind you so is everything now - even Hondas). In the end I got sick of riding the bump stops on my stock gear, and bought them. For $1300 delivered I figured if they only last a couple of years I haven't really lost too badly.

Enough back story, I put them in at Christmas, and I reckon they are probably one of the better purchases I have ever made (after my angle grinder...). Almost no body roll left - and 80% of my bushings are almost completely dead. On full hard, they will injure your back, and put you through a corner previously only possible at say 80km/h at say 110/120 without you even worrying. On full soft its a bit boat-like, but no worse than stock, and my girlfriend even approves (mind you they are never on full soft...).

Yeah, that was a bit of a rant, but bang-for-buck these are quite good, and I would recommend them. Just remember that they are only basically entry-level, nothing like a full blown $5000 coilover setup.

Hope that was mildly more helpful.

Oh and I think you can get them rebuilt quite easily within Australia. I think.

Snappy
11-01-2012, 08:31 PM
king springs are only $230 which ever size.

ekx105
11-01-2012, 09:51 PM
Im going with what everyone else is saying. Save up the money for a set of coilovers. You wont regret it! Even like the post above, a set of BC racing type BR coilover is good. If your just having it as a daily. And im sure it can hold up if you do a couple of track days. So i reckon save up your money for a set of coilovers

My 2 cents.

CEEKB5
12-01-2012, 07:27 AM
Hook us up with a job yea

Where abouts do you live?
send me your ressume jerome.delrosario@officemax.com.au

CEEKB5
12-01-2012, 07:34 AM
I recently got the BC Racing type BR coilovers. I've done about 1000km on them, and I'm quite impressed. I held off for a while, because I couldn't find any information regarding the lifespan of these units (they are, as far as I know made in Taiwan, but mind you so is everything now - even Hondas). In the end I got sick of riding the bump stops on my stock gear, and bought them. For $1300 delivered I figured if they only last a couple of years I haven't really lost too badly.

Enough back story, I put them in at Christmas, and I reckon they are probably one of the better purchases I have ever made (after my angle grinder...). Almost no body roll left - and 80% of my bushings are almost completely dead. On full hard, they will injure your back, and put you through a corner previously only possible at say 80km/h at say 110/120 without you even worrying. On full soft its a bit boat-like, but no worse than stock, and my girlfriend even approves (mind you they are never on full soft...).

Yeah, that was a bit of a rant, but bang-for-buck these are quite good, and I would recommend them. Just remember that they are only basically entry-level, nothing like a full blown $5000 coilover setup.

Hope that was mildly more helpful.

Oh and I think you can get them rebuilt quite easily within Australia. I think.

Well to be honest the springs i really wanted for is for cosmetic look and sydney roads are pretty dodge esp parramatta road
or some what.....

how long did you have to wait for delivery?

CEEKB5
12-01-2012, 07:35 AM
Im going with what everyone else is saying. Save up the money for a set of coilovers. You wont regret it! Even like the post above, a set of BC racing type BR coilover is good. If your just having it as a daily. And im sure it can hold up if you do a couple of track days. So i reckon save up your money for a set of coilovers

My 2 cents.

is the ride low? like just sits flush?

sebtoombs
12-01-2012, 08:52 AM
how long did you have to wait for delivery?

It took about 1-2 days for the package to arrive in my local airport, but then they took a few more days because the courier company subcontracted another courier who operates in my area and they waited a few days until they had other items to run down my way. That's what you get for living in Tassie I guess.

ekx105
12-01-2012, 05:15 PM
is the ride low? like just sits flush?

I dont know how low BC racing BR Type go. I have BuddyClub N+ coilovers and mine are at factory buddyclub height and they are low already. But ive heard BC racing can go low.

CEEKB5
13-01-2012, 02:07 PM
Im never going to do this but im so curious.

why do people cut there stock springs.
Pros

Cons?

senna
13-01-2012, 02:23 PM
Pro: It costs nothing and they want to get their car lower than any sane spring manufacturer will produce.

Cons: Inaccurate heights front to rear/left to right - no idea on what spring rate you will end up with on a progressive rate spring, generally ends up too low and sits on the bump stops and destroys the shocks and last but not least the spring becomes un-trapped at the shock extended length.

In short, don't do it!

Save up for coilovers or a good spring and shock combo - no one is going to have a whinge or not be your friend if you take a little longer to do it right!

CEEKB5
13-01-2012, 02:34 PM
Pro: It costs nothing and they want to get their car lower than any sane spring manufacturer will produce.

Cons: Inaccurate heights front to rear/left to right - no idea on what spring rate you will end up with on a progressive rate spring, generally ends up too low and sits on the bump stops and destroys the shocks and last but not least the spring becomes un-trapped at the shock extended length.

In short, don't do it!

Save up for coilovers or a good spring and shock combo - no one is going to have a whinge or not be your friend if you take a little longer to do it right!

You are my angel benith my wing.
i think im going with kingy's i just bought my self cold air intake and new headers and new leads
and a front and rear lip car is going to the paintshop in two weeks.

Going for gun metal grey and sell my rims for now..

anyone know who is selling a GLI clutser manual?

senna
13-01-2012, 02:44 PM
If you find a manual GLi cluster, tell me where and i'll buy it first ok? LOL

Really mate, i'd just leave the stock suspension until you have the funds to do it right - kings will only give you looks and stuffed std shocks, which means you will be then spending money on suspension again soon after spending money the first time...

CEEKB5
13-01-2012, 02:51 PM
ok i need an insight
what are

Coilovers
and
Camber kits ?
i need a decent answer everyone is giving me weird answers lol
reason why i ask so i can buy them this weekend and make a choice lol

CEEKB5
13-01-2012, 02:54 PM
ahaha theres type r civic cluster for like 300 fuarkkk..
im just gonna go to the wreckers and get my self some

senna
13-01-2012, 03:03 PM
OK, so use google for the coilover and camber kit questions - there is also plenty of info here on the forum, just do some searching on that one.

Have a read of that thread i posted earlier on about suspension

dougie_504
13-01-2012, 03:21 PM
In my opinion, sell your civic, buy an ek4 or ek9, then put a b20 block in it. Suspension too.

nguyenimproved
13-01-2012, 03:34 PM
Its near impossible to find a manual gli cluster. I just went ahead and got a EM1 one for $100. Wrong redline, oh well, good enough. At least I wont have PRNDL on the right. Haha

CEEKB5
13-01-2012, 03:35 PM
lol whats the ek1 stock redline?

btw what a good affordable coilovers?
im buying some this weekend...

nguyenimproved
13-01-2012, 03:38 PM
6.8k redline
7.2k cut off

CEEKB5
13-01-2012, 03:39 PM
worth getting a rev gaurge ?

wogspec but lol

nguyenimproved
13-01-2012, 03:42 PM
I bought a 2" one. Thought of chucking it in, now its just sitting in my draw. Looks too much like a boost gauge, I prefer the oem look better. If you want, i can send it your way for cheap.

EK1 vs EK4 (EM1 is 0.2k higher)
Red line is 1k off. Oh well. xD

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/7802/img0001kz2.jpg

CEEKB5
13-01-2012, 03:46 PM
is the one installed in ur car the bottom one?

nguyenimproved
13-01-2012, 03:47 PM
Nah that's a picture off google. Mine hasn't arrived yet.

CEEKB5
13-01-2012, 03:49 PM
which one could u sell me? the top one?

nguyenimproved
13-01-2012, 03:51 PM
Nah little RPM gauge. Wog spec one. 2"/2.5"

edit

one of these things
http://www.autodials.co.uk/images/SM68/Tachometer_sm68.jpg

Its not a 5" one, just a small 2" one.

CEEKB5
13-01-2012, 03:53 PM
ive always wanted a small rpm guage i hate the big meat pie sized one..

where abouts u live i could probably pick it up

nguyenimproved
13-01-2012, 03:56 PM
Melbourne 3038.

CEEKB5
13-01-2012, 03:57 PM
i live in sydney lol

nguyenimproved
13-01-2012, 03:58 PM
Ahh. Well if you do end up wanting it. Let me know.

CEEKB5
20-01-2012, 12:18 PM
updateeeeeeee